PDA

View Full Version : Port Morseby Gyms & Life

Sparrow_start
26th Oct 2018, 00:40
Would anyone have any tips on gyms and life in Port Morseby for a newbi?

Propstop
26th Oct 2018, 11:11
Eyes wide open, pinkie in pocket at all times, watch your wallet and enjoy!

Duck Pilot
26th Oct 2018, 12:25
Google wantok.

Plenty of SP Lagar and a few 2 kina notes got me going during the thought times of being a single man in POM .

Gym? Tried that ****, just got fatter with old age didn't work for me. 500 pushups and a few hundred laps of the compound at 5pm will usually do the trick.

Kiwiconehead
26th Oct 2018, 20:28
Would anyone have any tips on gyms and life in Port Morseby for a newbi?

Aero Club was the only gym I went to in POM, weightlifting of the SP lager kind, now sadly closed.

Colleagues with predilection for such activities used to frequent the Fitness Centre at the Airways Hotel.

packapoo
26th Oct 2018, 21:12
Aviat Club has (had?) pool, squash courts and tennis courts for social/exercise activities.
And of course bars for recovery via SP afterwards....

Sparrow_start
26th Oct 2018, 23:26
Called the Airways K 3,500 a year
Aviat Club K75 a month
PM Yacht Club K 3100 A year
Could not get thru to the others.

Aero Club was the only gym I went to in POM, weightlifting of the SP lager kind, now sadly closed.

Colleagues with predilection for such activities used to frequent the Fitness Centre at the Airways Hotel.

Pinky the pilot
27th Oct 2018, 10:03
a few 2 kina notes

Duck Pilot; You didn't!!!:eek::eek::uhoh: Besides, last I heard, the 2 kina variety were somewhat more expensive!:=

Never ever partook of them M'self! := As for SP Lager, only ever drank longnecks!:ok:

Capt Fathom
27th Oct 2018, 11:03
Price hasn’t changed much! It was 2 Kina when I was there in the late 70’s. :E

Duck Pilot
27th Oct 2018, 11:29
With the turn of the millennium they got a bit more savvy and worked somehow what inflation meant, I have no idea what the going rate is now as I'm somewhat out of the loop and have absolutely no interest.

Longnecks are a recipe for a major hangover IMHO, I still stick with the brown bottles or green cans. Quality has certainly improved since the early 2000s, haven't had a dud for years.

The rates with regards to the gym costs sound pretty realistic Sparrow. I think there is still a gym at the swimming centre on Tarama Road, that would be worth checking out as well, don't know what they call it though. It should still be ok as it was only built a few years ago for the South Pacific Games.

Good luck with your new job, whatever you are doing.

Seaeagle109
27th Oct 2018, 12:11
Sparrow,

As Duck Pilot says, try the Taurama Aquatic centre on Taurama Rd. You can use the gym and/ or the pool. Varying rates for either gym, pool or both for either daily, monthly, etc. Cost are way less than the Airways and it's much better than the Aviat.

I haven't used it for about a year but as I remember the gym isn't airconditioned but there's fans and it was pretty reasonably equipped. The 50m Olympic standard pool wasn't heavily used, mostly expats grinding out laps and a small 20-25m shallow pool that the locals seem to love. Maintenance was starting to get a little dodgy last time I was there though but still OK.

geeup
27th Oct 2018, 20:41
PNGAir & Air Niugin Pilots accommodation have gyms

Pinky the pilot
28th Oct 2018, 01:41
Oh, and just one more thing; It's Port Moresby, not Morseby!

Thought one of you other Blokes would have picked that up!:=:D

TWT
28th Oct 2018, 01:47
You're wasting your time posting about spelling errors here. These forums are littered with them.

Pinky the pilot
28th Oct 2018, 09:23
I'm well aware of that, TWT. And that saddens me for several reasons.

In that particular instance, I wonder what the reaction of any prospective employer of the OP would be when it is seen that he cannot even spell correctly the name of the place where he wants a job!:hmm:

I once posted of an incident where my Boss in my last job in PNG handed me a newly arrived letter/resume from someone wanting a job with us, and asked me to read and comment. Unfortunately I cannot find that post, otherwise I'd copy it here, as it summed up perfectly just how my then Employer felt about misspelling in resumes.:=

troppo
28th Oct 2018, 11:05
You clowns arguing over spelling. Don't you know they speak the queens England there?
if you're looking for a gym find another one that sounds the same for sexercise. Just dont marry it :}

Ascend Charlie
29th Oct 2018, 05:18
Just go walking after dark. It will soon become running, and back to the compound. Called Raskolcise.

NOSIGN
29th Oct 2018, 14:40
The fireys at Mt Hagen usually don’t mind if you use their bench on station. Friendly competition.