PDA

View Full Version : Cultural thread closed??!!

tartare
25th Oct 2018, 22:46
Errrmm Mods - why?
Has some offence been caused?
This is an important discussion to have!
Is there a fear about racist trolling being encouraged... if so, that's certainly not the intention, as I was about to clarify when I went to post this morning and discovered the thread was shut.
Please explain.

Lonewolf_50
25th Oct 2018, 23:20
I will bet the under on the mods explaining.

tartare
25th Oct 2018, 23:45
Sheesh - we live in sensitive times.
I'm married to a brown girl - and the family has frequent discussions about race and politics around the dinner table.
The last place I'd want to see getting PC and fearful is Jet Blast.

Concours77
26th Oct 2018, 04:48
Sheesh - we live in sensitive times.
I'm married to a brown girl - and the family has frequent discussions about race and politics around the dinner table.
The last place I'd want to see getting PC and fearful is Jet Blast.

censorship= pandering to cnuts.

Dan_Brown
26th Oct 2018, 06:36
censorship= pandering to cnuts.

I could not agree more!!

tartare
26th Oct 2018, 09:08
Yes - no disrespect intended to the moderators - who are volunteers and have a tricky job, but really...
In a time when bombs are being sent to people in the US because of public discourse, it's critical more than ever that discussions can be had without knee jerk reactions.
Sure, there are some rednecks who post here - but even they are pretty civilised.
Mods, heads up - I'll continue the thread about cultural appropriation as another post shortly.
Mainly because I think that there are some on the extreme left in the US in particular who are actually pretty scary - in thinking that they are entitled to dictate what people think.
I hope you'll be open minded and accomodating enough to let the thread run.

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2018, 09:09
Are we being to precious of our identity? Or even discussion here on pprune?

tartare
26th Oct 2018, 09:10
I could not agree more PN.

oxenos
26th Oct 2018, 10:50
Culture - on JB?

funfly
26th Oct 2018, 11:12
In an era of political correctness gagging there are many who see the stupidity of this.
The thread is still there to be read but I personally see no point in its continuation. It has all been said before, many times on here, and does offer the opportunity for the extremists to post their rants.

Trossie
26th Oct 2018, 15:40
Gertie's comments about taxi fares must have tipped the scales somewhere!!!

I do not understand funfly's comment above. The only 'rant' that I have seen is his. Some people do seem to be a bit too 'precious'.

I like Belgian chocolate and beer, I hope that does not mean that I am 'appropriating' Belgian culture, but if I am I am sure that the Belgians are happy to do business with me to compensate for this 'appropriation'?

Bollox to PC sensitivities.

sitigeltfel
26th Oct 2018, 16:33
Culture - on JB?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/220x165/80-220px_agar_plate_with_colonies_81bd8be82a9a6596d29f0ea0a3e7a 66b658890a3.jpg

;)

funfly
26th Oct 2018, 16:36
Gertie's comments about taxi fares must have tipped the scales somewhere!!!

I do not understand funfly's comment above. The only 'rant' that I have seen is his. Some people do seem to be a bit too 'precious'. .
I am prone to ranting, sorry mate🤫

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2018, 16:42
Trossie, it is more appropriating the name. You used to be able to buy Maltese champagne until they joined the EU and you can still buy California n champagne. Cheddar cheese OTOH is from just about anywhere.

Trossie
26th Oct 2018, 16:43
I am prone to ranting, sorry mate🤫
Where would the fun be on JB if we didn't have rants!

Trossie
26th Oct 2018, 16:46
Trossie, it is more appropriating the name. ...You mean the Belgians don't actually like that chocolate and beer, they just sell it to us and we are not being like Belgians in consuming it but just appropriating their name?

(BTW, that was meant to make about as much sense as Political correctness does!)

Ascend Charlie
26th Oct 2018, 19:50
Are we still allowed to have Toga Parties, or is that appropriating the Roman culture? Kids can dress as "cowboys" but not "Indians"?

tartare
27th Oct 2018, 00:42
Yes - I find that prohibition on war bonnets a bit nauseating to be honest.
Here's another one.
As a white bloke, accordingly to latest PC rules I am now not allowed to be attracted to women of colour purely on the basis of their `exotic' looks.
That is offensive and now deemed as `fetishism'.
I sh!t you not.
Didn't stop me lusting after lovely Nicole from our office up in Philly PA when she brought her gorgeous African American self down to white old Australia for a visit to HQ at the last corporate gig I had.
Or asking the pretty Anglo-Indian girl out on a date in London, who eventually became Mrs Tartare.

pr00ne
27th Oct 2018, 01:46
tartare,

There are no "pc rules' at all, just your weird view of the world.

Loose rivets
27th Oct 2018, 01:50
Hmmm . . . my mother in law was so attractive I agreed to a blind date with her daughter in London. With an initial education in Lucknow, she spoke better English than wot I do and was about five times more intelligent. It's odd how some of the stuffy old Frintonian gentlemen came alive when she walked in. It's also odd how they seemed to need to make reference to her furrin-ness despite being French, Celtic, German, British, and no written trace of Indian-ness. Her sister used to claim it was because they'd been left out in the sun.

tartare
27th Oct 2018, 07:24
tartare,

There are no "pc rules' at all, just your weird view of the world.

Really pr00ne?
In my opinion there very definitely are a series of `rules' or schema that politically correct people would like to force on us all.
"Don't wear afro wigs or war bonnets, don't use words or phrases that `trigger' people, don't use music from other cultures as your own etc. etc."
As I was saying above - it's now got so ridiculous, people aren't "allowed" to be attracted to people of other races purely because of the way they look. What a crock of shite.
Look at some of the nonsense being spouted in some American Universities at the moment - or the story about the young woman who wanted to paint over a mural of returned soldiers at Southampton University; because they're white warriors, and therefore politically incorrect.
I just choose to raise my middle finger to most of those `rules' as do a large number of other people frequenting jet blast!
Was always taught to think critically and question.
So I pick and choose ideas.
I think whales should be saved.
But I like guns, and believe in a strong military.
Now - how do those things make my view of the world weird?

sitigeltfel
27th Oct 2018, 08:50
I just choose to raise my middle finger to most of those `rules'

I raise two fingers, it's a cultural thing ;)

pr00ne
27th Oct 2018, 12:00
tartare,

Really tartare, really!
Your opinion would appear to be merely in your head or in the warped columns of the Daily Mail or Express.. There are no 'rules' as you claim, and even you say that you think people would "like" to force these "rules" on us all. All in your imagination as far as "PC" goes, it simply does not exist. If someone is saying that they are "sick of political correctness" try get them to say what they are actually sick of without using the term 'Political Correctness'. What you are usually left with is; "I am so sick of not being able to freely insult and belittle women and minorities." In no way am I saying that is you by the way.
Just because someone has an opinion about being attracted to someone of another creed, race or colour does NOT make it some sort of "Politically Correct" rule, it just makes it their opinion, and in both mine and your opinions, they are wrong. It certainly does NOT mean that you are not "allowed" to be attracted to that person.
The same applies to the liking of music or culture, they are not being Politically Correct, they are just being divisive, racist and wrong! The example that you quote from Southampton Uni is one voice, I expect that there were a myriad of dissenting voices and that the action was not carried out. But that lone voice would have been right to query that if the image is contemporary, then why was it all white when our Army is not? Now that is a different and very valid question.
You may raise your middle finger to the likes of the opinions you quote, that is not raising a finger to Political Correctness, that is just not agreeing with someone else's opinion.

On reflection I do NOT think that your view of the world is weird, I was lumping you in with the usual PC brigade who are merely disguising their racism, homophobia, misogyny, xenophobia and bitter anger. I did you a disservice there.

Where I would take you to task is that these are 'rules'. They are not. They are misguided opinions. You are right to call them out and I do too, just as I call out racism, sexism, ageism, misogyny and homophobia, especially when they are disguised as humour and called casual.

tartare
27th Oct 2018, 23:35
True - there definitely are people who will use the excuse "...I'm protesting against ridiculous PC views..." (or misguided opinions as you describe them) as an excuse to be racist, homophobic etc. or will protest "...but I was only joking..." when they were anything but.
Which is reprehensible.
My point is that we live in a complex world.
When I meet people who pride themselves on being very PC (or `right-on' as one might say in Britain) I'm often struck by how intellectually lazy they are.
Some green acquaintances for example - rabidly anti fossil fuel, terrified of climate change, but wouldn't dare even contemplate nuclear energy sources such as thorium reactors as an alternative for example, because nuclear energy full stop is `just bad.'
Another example - very naive people who hold an implicit belief that all non-white peoples are free of the stain of racism.
Until you hear the attitudes of some (not all) people of Chinese descent towards black people; or more extreme Indians' (not all) views about anyone of Jewish heritage (speaking from experience of having spent time in India, China and Israel).
Non-white races are equally culpable of racism - yet in today's fevered times, that's not a topic that's easily aired - even if discussed rationally and objectively - because of the fear of being labelled some kind of white supremacist.
The mere fact that I thought very hard indeed before typing the sentences above shows how careful one has to be these days about being truly intellectually honest.
Discrimination in any form is abhorrent.
Today's dreadful event in Pittsburgh only underlining the fact.