View Full Version : IA question

HighSider
30th Jul 2002, 06:38
Hello everyone.

I like some feed back from some of you out there. I Have been an A&P since 1984 and an
IA since 1995. Guess what happen to me. Oh yea, I got married two years ago. My wife
Australian and me being adventures I decided to give Oz land a go.
To make a long story short I moved to Australia almost two years ago and while down
under I tried to get their aircraft Maintenance engineer (A&P equivalent) license using my
A&P and conversion tests. Unfortunately I was not able to pass their one time only test
(missed it by two question which was a three day test, 80% pass grade, three hours each
and they can ask you anything). According to the guys out there it is impossible since
they have their ways and no study or prep guide for it.
Fare enough, who am I to dispute their arcade ways and regulations which by the way is
nothing more than scrambled FAA regulations with their own twist in it.
Anyway I am back in good old US of A looking for work. I have been inactive as an A&P for
almost two years (20 months) and an expired IA. I know now and days to get your IA you
can do it by computer testing (wish it was that way when I got it). The question I have is
that do I qualify to take the IA test or do I need to get a job as an A&P for two years
before I can attempt it. I do have a fix base of operation at this time.
Thought I ask your opinions before I go to my friendly FESDO.
Thanks guys and keep them flying

rotormatic
2nd Aug 2002, 17:04
Here are two rules you may want to review before you go to your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO);

§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.
A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months --
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or

(b) He has, for at least 6 months --
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;

(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

§ 65.91 Inspection authorization.
(a) An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.
(b) An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.
(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must --

(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;

(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;

(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;

(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and

(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter. An applicant who fails the test prescribed in paragraph (c)(5) of this section may not apply for retesting until at least 90 days after the date he failed the test.
[Doc. No. 1179, 27 FR 7973, Aug. 10, 1962, as amended by Amdt. 65-5, 31 FR 3337, Mar. 3, 1966; Amdt. 65-22, 42 FR 46279, Sept. 15, 1977; Amdt. 65-30, 50 FR 15700, Apr. 19, 1985]

HighSider
3rd Aug 2002, 06:04
That is what I figure. I am already back at work wrenching and I am going to take the IA test anyway. I used to work with this guy who is an FAA Maintenance inspector now. I give him the details and hope he approves it. who knows he may say you are not even qualified as an A&P. Oh well, life in
Aviation. I wonder if I could add up the 4 months (I have been inactive for 20 months) and the additional two months I will be working now before showing my face at the fesdo. I know I wont be signing anything off as an A&P during this time even though I am doing the work.
You know he could just sign that yellow card for me but knowing him most probably not. Its OK, I make the same anyhow.
Thanks again