PDA

View Full Version : Cultural appropriation

tartare
25th Oct 2018, 00:33
I don't give a rat's arse about Kendall Jenner.
But this `cultural appropriation' latest PC bollocks really gets my goat.
Now it seems hairstyle are capable of being `culturally appropriated'
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/vogue-kendall-jenner-cultural-appropriation-afro-cfda-fashion-fund-a8598811.html
So - what about corn-rows, are they next?
Or dreadlocks?
Should one feel culturally guilty the next time one picks up one's bass guitar and busts out a Bernard Edwards Chic riff??!!.
FFS.
I need to stop reading fashion magazines on the sly I guess...

Ascend Charlie
25th Oct 2018, 02:11
"Culturally guilty."

I find that offensive.

Grayfly
25th Oct 2018, 10:05
People who name themselves after a mint cake cannot be taken seriously. Is that culinary appropriation?

funfly
25th Oct 2018, 10:19
or perhaps the Independent?

BehindBlueEyes
25th Oct 2018, 10:31
But perversely, I have a real dislike of white oiks adopting these pseudo Jamaican accent, mannerisms and patois. However, I don’t have a problem with a cultured black voice. Guess that makes me an inverted racist?

Carry0nLuggage
25th Oct 2018, 11:39
Should Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode get upset about the "cultural appropriation" of electronic music to morph soul and disco into House and Techno in Detroit, Chicago and New York? Of course not, they are grown ups.

Surely all culture has an element of appropriation in it somewhere.

Hussar 54
25th Oct 2018, 12:41
I don't give a rat's arse about Kendall Jenner.
But this `cultural appropriation' latest PC bollocks really gets my goat.
Now it seems hairstyle are capable of being `culturally appropriated'
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/vogue-kendall-jenner-cultural-appropriation-afro-cfda-fashion-fund-a8598811.html
So - what about corn-rows, are they next?
Or dreadlocks?
Should one feel culturally guilty the next time one picks up one's bass guitar and busts out a Bernard Edwards Chic riff??!!.
FFS.

Can a white man sing the blues or a blue man sing the whites ?

Should a black / brown / yellow actor have a part in Hamlet or Macbeth ? Is that cultural appropriation ?

Should a heterosexual play the part of a homosexual in a film, or the other way round ? Is that cultural appropriation ?

Nobody complains about these examples - at least I hope they don't !

We're reaching the point where my generation are becoming scared to speak because we know we'll be unintentionally offending at least one group of people, if not two or three different groups of people all at the same time.

racedo
25th Oct 2018, 12:43
Best way to shut one of these SJW's up is ask what food they like....................

Anything not native to area you in call them up for cultural appropriation of food native to another area.

Even nailing Veggies can be good, insisting that Soya beans are coming from Brazil and it has resulted in huge
areas of the Amazon being destroyed to suit their Veggism or aiding Global Warming by food miles
in what they eat.

racedo
25th Oct 2018, 12:44
Should a heterosexual play the part of a homosexual in a film, or the other way round ? Is that cultural appropriation ?

Hollywood wants to go on about it until someone starts reminding them of the many many
LGBT actors and actresses that are playing hetrosexual roles in movies.

Mac the Knife
25th Oct 2018, 13:32
"We're reaching the point where my generation are becoming scared to speak because we know we'll be unintentionally offending at least one group of people, if not two or three different groups of people all at the same time."

Yup. 1) People are too sensitive, and 2) Its not good to push it underground.

Me I like my Nazis and faggot-haters and Stalinists and Jew-baiters up there in plain sight where I can see 'em,
not hiding behind a polite smile while the rage boils out of their ears.

Have the courage of your convictions - hold it up so we can all see it (and treat you as you deserve)

Mac

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Oct 2018, 16:58
But perversely, I have a real dislike of white oiks adopting these pseudo Jamaican accent, mannerisms and patois.
You do get on better in Jamaica if you can understand the language, and even speak it a bit - just polite, really. You get cheaper taxi rides sometimes too, if your command of the language persuades someone to charge you the locals' rate rather than the American tourists' rate.