PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aid - for helicopter pilot

pilot_tolip
24th Oct 2018, 09:44
Wondering if anyone knows the answer for UK/EASA rules. Theoretically, if the hearing in one of my ears was below the Class 1 Medical for hearing (even though I can hear), would this preclude me from renewing my Class 1 medical? Are commercial helicopter pilots able to wear hearing aids? I've already searched the forum but couldn't find the answer.

SASless
24th Oct 2018, 11:42
After over thirty years of flying helicopters....I find my Brass Ear Trumpet just does not fit under the Earphones or inside my Flying Helmet.

212man
24th Oct 2018, 11:44
Wondering if anyone knows the answer for UK/EASA rules. Theoretically, if the hearing in one of my ears was below the Class 1 Medical for hearing (even though I can hear), would this preclude me from renewing my Class 1 medical? Are commercial helicopter pilots able to wear hearing aids? I've already searched the forum but couldn't find the answer.

They use a functional hearing assessment

Revalidation/renewal Class 1 with Hearing LossFor only revalidation or renewal, greater hearing loss can be recertified following demonstrated satisfactory functional hearing ability

:
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1205ff.pdf

pilot_tolip
24th Oct 2018, 12:33
Great replies. Useful. Thanks. I'll get some Brasso for the ear trumpet :-)

timprice
24th Oct 2018, 17:01
Yes 212man is correct and your better off getting that completed prior to going to each medical, then the medical can be issued on the day, trying to argue the case afterwards is a slow process generally.
Good Luck with the Brasso can you still purchase it? or you just got some hanging around in an old cupboard.:}

212man
24th Oct 2018, 18:03
SAS will be very familiar with an ex-mutual colleague who was formerly Royal Artillery before going AAC then civilian. Absolutely stone deaf in one ear (had to cock his head towards you to hear you) but kept his Class 1 for decades (based on the above).

krypton_john
24th Oct 2018, 19:45
Yep - the old stand with your back to the doc, and repeat back what he's whispering to you in a quiet room... doesn't know if one lug is inop.

SASless
24th Oct 2018, 21:05
There was a Quack that we got sent to near Gatwick for our Medicals.

I always got a kick out of how he used a Towel or sheet to trap your arms during the Cardiogram.

The Hearing Test got to be purely comical as he did the face the door and repeat what I say thing......after about a half dozen tries....he fairly yelled "For crapsakes....BLOODY CIGARETTE!".

Chinooks robbed me of my hearing back in 1968 and it only went downhill from there.

pilot_tolip
25th Oct 2018, 10:59
Cheers everyone

simmple
3rd Dec 2018, 13:20
Anybody tried claiming hearing aids against tax?

Fareastdriver
3rd Dec 2018, 13:35
Doing my initial hearing test for my Chinese licence.
Into a padded cell with earphones and somebody outside with a variable buzzer. We had just got started when the latest improvements
to the hospital started in the room the other side of my wall; with a rock drill.

One minute of comedy and I was called out and signed off.

megan
4th Dec 2018, 04:25
Chap lost his hearing in one ear and licence carried the endorsement "to fly LH seat only" so that the good ear was towards the other crew member. FW, so relegated to permanent captain duties.

Parson
4th Dec 2018, 05:51
The downside to FHA is that you have to submit one every year rather than have a biennial audiogram. But of course it keeps you flying.....

Flying Foxhunter
4th Dec 2018, 21:50
I read this thread a couple of weeks ago just before my Class I medical renewal and got a colleague with whom I had just carried out one of my PC's with, to fill in the functional hearing test form. Knowing my hearing in one ear was a bit marginal after 38 years in the noisy hot seat I found the form worked a treat and the medical was duly issued without any fuss. Thank you for the reminder about that form

pants on fire...
4th Dec 2018, 22:05
I always wondered why pilots had such slovenly looking, dull and unpolished ear trumpets - especially as the company paid for lots of Brasso. Then I saw them all drinking it on the Company bus on the way home!

as350nut
5th Dec 2018, 00:15
Given that every one of my 3,000 hours flying has been with the use of and aid of headsets, want more sound turn up the volume! In the EC120 you have to have a headset on to hear warnings etc, don't most of us wear a hearing aid all the time we fly?
The last few years it has been Bose and Lightspeed all with ANR, (not like the 1980's David Clark rabbit trap ear vice ones) all costing $2,000 or so. Are these not hearing aids?