PDA

View Full Version : When do sports get silly?

jolihokistix
22nd Oct 2018, 14:16
*Painful viewing warning.

Iida Rei, 19 was running in the 'Princess' Ekiden in Japan yesterday (21 October) when she became unable to run any longer. 200 metres from where her teammate was waiting to collect her sash she fell to the ground and crawled as fast as she could on bloody knees. Later they found she had suffered a broken leg. YouTube footage is probably available too as this was shown on various national news channels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwkaA5jNV8

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20181021-00368426-nksports-spo

Pontius Navigator
22nd Oct 2018, 19:29
I know what you mean but it is team spirit. You see it in many walks of life where people put team or group above self.

treadigraph
22nd Oct 2018, 19:36
Well done her - some people give up way too easily with just a little discomfort and she sure put them to shame.

G-CPTN
22nd Oct 2018, 20:04
Iwatani Sangyo's head coach told the organizers of the event that they would drop out of the race. However, it wasn't until Iida was just about 20 meters to the end of her section that on site officials were notified of the team's intention to withdraw.
Iwatani Sangyo says it's regrettable that the organizers didn't stop her, even though it notified them of the team's withdrawal immediately after learning the situation.

Ekiden relay road race raises controversy. (https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181023_02/)

visibility3miles
22nd Oct 2018, 22:13
Did the team still withdraw? Shame to waste that painful effort.

Wise of the woman to crawl on the painted stripe. It is certainly smoother than the raw roadway.

jolihokistix
22nd Oct 2018, 23:53
Agreed with the above. Thanks G-CPTN for the NHK link which was not up last night. Worth reprinting it here as these bits of electronic news on NHK disappear fairly rapidly.
Quote:
'A long-distance road relay race called "Ekiden" in western Japan on Sunday has sparked a controversy after a runner suffered a serious leg injury, but continued on all fours. Rei Iida, a member of the Iwatani Sangyo team, suffered an injury to her right leg about 200 meters before the end of her section and couldn't run anymore. But she continued by crawling on her hands and knees to pass on the sash to the next runner. Iwatani Sangyo's head coach told the organizers of the event that they would drop out of the race. However, it wasn't until Iida was just about 20 meters to the end of her section that on site officials were notified of the team's intention to withdraw.

The organizers said the staff couldn't stop Iida because of her eagerness to go on. Iida was later found to have suffered a fractured right leg. Doctors say it will require 3 to 4 months to heal.

Iwatani Sangyo says it's regrettable that the organizers didn't stop her, even though it notified them of the team's withdrawal immediately after learning the situation. The organizers say they will study ways to communicate more smoothly when such incidents occur.'

Ancient Observer
23rd Oct 2018, 17:25
Rugby has become very, very silly.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Oct 2018, 18:18
Agreed AO. As a schoolboy rugby forward I recall scrums taking around one minute max. Now they seem to be an endless succession of "crouch, bind,set" (or whatever the latest version is) followed by a collapse and the inevitable penalty. Stop fiddling around with it and scrap the whole time wasting procedure. Or why not switch to uncontested scrums, and maybe at the same time reduce the number of forwards to six

Hang on, haven't some people already thought of that? ;)

meleagertoo
23rd Oct 2018, 18:23
Formula One is the silliest of the lot. Multimillion pound projectiles driven by invisible multimiillion pound petulant brats.
I'm tempted to add soccer but it's a game, not a sport. Despite that the spectacle of 22 grown men trying to kick an inflated pig's bladder between two sticks is immensely silly as is the money involved, not to mention the animal noises made by the crowd.

jolihokistix
24th Oct 2018, 03:04
Yes, I find Rugby wincingly painful to watch for the reasons given above, although I played some in my time. Scrums today just make no sense. It forces me to change channels. Football takes time to kick in, depending on the match, and sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort, but I have seen some amazing games. F1 though, I can watch till the cows come home, and if I fall asleep it is exquisite, to the delightful tune of high revving engines.

Perhaps sports become obviously silly when they are no longer fun for the individual to watch. But why do I find it easy to watch cricket, boxing, sumo, or professional wrestling, when none of the rest of the family does? When they are all out, then hehehe...

reynoldsno1
24th Oct 2018, 06:32
Formula One is the silliest of the lot
It all started to go wrong when they moved the engines to the back ... but I enjoy watching MotoGP & Superbikes & Speedway. Been some amazing races this year.

Eddie Dean
24th Oct 2018, 06:39
It all started to go wrong when they moved the engines to the back ... but I enjoy watching MotoGP & Superbikes & Speedway. Been some amazing races this year.The formula one became a farce when they took control of the vehicle away from the driver and gave it to the...... car

Falcon Al
24th Oct 2018, 06:56
Painful viewing warning.

OK. we'll call it a draw then!

jolihokistix
24th Oct 2018, 07:09
LOL Haha! :D

Effluent Man
24th Oct 2018, 09:53
I think the rot set in when they started sprouting picnic tables nailed on the boot. The '63 Lotus 25 was possibly the height of aesthetic perfection, like the Spitfire was in aircraft.

Buster11
24th Oct 2018, 10:58
A slightly pedantic point. Motor racing is surely not now a sport, but an advertising medium involving expensive cars.

Private jet
24th Oct 2018, 13:10
I'm not one for sport, either playing or spectating but I appreciate others gain enjoyment from it. To my mind, all the trite, incessant pre & post match/race/game "analysis" and punditry is indeed very silly. Also the interviews with the protagonists; what can they say? "Missed opportunities", "better team won on the day", "tactical mistakes" or vice versa if they win. It's banal and pointless either way. Also very few professional sportspeople have what can be regarded as charisma, which makes the whole experience even more dull. A perfect example is that showboating BBC "Sports Personality of the year" award. An oxymoron if ever there was one.

dook
24th Oct 2018, 14:44
"Personalities" do not exist in sport.

paulc
24th Oct 2018, 17:29
As least motorsport has some element of danger involved in particpating unlike many other sports

Loose rivets
24th Oct 2018, 22:00
Poor girl carrying on with broken leg.

I know what you mean but it is team spirit. You see it in many walks of life

Gaaah. :uhoh: