PDA

View Full Version : corporate apologies missing the mark?

rans6andrew
21st Oct 2018, 20:37
After one of their ferries played nautical dodgems in Cowes harbour this morning, the Red Funnel company apology, as reported by the BBC, only went out to their passengers who were a little delayed. There was no mention of the poor boat owners whose craft were damaged, not even the one which has ended up at the bottom of the water. Thankfully, nobody either on the ferry or not, was injured.

Story here (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45932147)

I know how much time, money and effort some owners put into keeping their boats ship shaped, they are not going to be very impressed at the lack of concern shown by this company today.

Rans6.......

Blues&twos
21st Oct 2018, 21:17
Maybe legal reasons not to apologise to anyone except passengers at this stage? (Implied admission of liability?)

racedo
21st Oct 2018, 21:27
Owners of bots probably not mind that much as they will be getting a new boat............... heck some owners of boats I know only wish something big would run it down when they not there.

hiflymk3
21st Oct 2018, 21:49
Haven't the foggiest of what happened there, but as a nipper I used to go bait diggin' on that very spot. Rag worms were buggas as they had pincers that bit.but the plaice that I used to catch there preferred them.

Obviously turned too early, hopefully AFAWK no one hurt, new boats all round and slightly Red Faced Steamers.

Red Funnel Steamers hulls used to be painted black which gave us the old joke. What's black and steams out of Cowes backwards?

Sallyann1234
21st Oct 2018, 23:28
As a regular user of that ferry route, I fail to see how this happened.
Each ferry does that route several times day, and the captains must be intimate with the passage into Cowes harbour, its tides and water depths. According to the pictures the sea was almost flat calm. Yes it was foggy, but they are equipped with radar. And yet the ferry was off route and ran aground
Unless there was a sudden serious mechanical failure, one or more of the crew must be due for a serious interview with the MAIB.

Loose rivets
21st Oct 2018, 23:52
Why was the red funnel crossed out and a green one painted over the top?

WingNut60
22nd Oct 2018, 00:16
As a regular user of that ferry route, I fail to see how this happened.
Each ferry does that route several times day, and the captains must be intimate with the passage into Cowes harbour, its tides and water depths. According to the pictures the sea was almost flat calm. Yes it was foggy, but they are equipped with radar. And yet the ferry was off route and ran aground
Unless there was a sudden serious mechanical failure, one or more of the crew must be due for a serious interview with the MAIB.

If you ever want to be REALLY amazed, stand on the bow as you come out of Valdez inlet and ask yourself how in the name of heck the Exxon Valdez ever managed to hit that rock.

dpsilverba
22nd Oct 2018, 19:41
Why was the red funnel crossed out and a green one painted over the top?

LR
It’s to promote their recently unveiled ‘Green Policy’ which involves the use of Bio Fuels, phasing out single use plastics etc…

Den

Ancient Observer
23rd Oct 2018, 17:38
It's mucky and it comes out of Cowes.

Auxtank
23rd Oct 2018, 17:44
I must admit the apology put my nose out of joint somewhat when he went on to say; "Our number one priority is our passengers safety."

Well, yes, good, but that doesn't mean you can go about mowing down every other craft on the water.
Lucky someone wasn't aboard that yacht at the time. By all accounts it went down pretty damn fast.

You're right; corporate apologies are composed for CEO's by the legal men in the back room with little regard for genuine concern and sincere apology.