PDA

View Full Version : Crimean School Massacre

ORAC
18th Oct 2018, 03:58
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/student-kills-19-in-gun-attack-at-crimea-college-after-row-with-girlfriend-sl3c7ln59

Student kills 19 in gun attack at Crimea college ‘after row with girlfriend’

At least 19 people have been killed and dozens wounded after a teenage student went on a bomb and shooting rampage at a technical college in Crimea.

After detonating an explosive device in the canteen, the attacker, named as Vladislav Roslyakov, 18, opened fire on pupils and teachers before killing himself as the security services closed in. The attack may have followed an argument with his girlfriend, according to Russian media, which also said he had a grudge against some staff. He is said to be a fan of the so-called “horror punk” genre of music and of online gaming.

The vocational technical college, in the eastern city of Kerch, teaches pupils aged 14 to 19. At least 39 people were being treated in hospital last night. Roslyakov’s mother, Galina, a doctor at a nearby hospital, helped tend to some of those injured by her son. She was later taken away by investigators.

Students described scenes of carnage during the attack. “A guy was walking round with a rifle shooting everyone. I hid and hoped that he wouldn’t hear me. Police with automatic weapons arrived ten minutes later. In the corridor where the explosion took place there were dead bodies lying on the floor,” Semyon Gavrilov said.

Another pupil said: “Everyone started to run. A guy grabbed my friend and said ‘if you stay here, you’ll be killed — can you hear the shooting?’. She started to run with him, and when they ran past a window where [the gunman] was, he covered her and was killed.”

Olga Grebennikova, the college director, said: “There are a lot of bodies, a lot of bodies of kids.” There was chaos outside the college, with the injured being taken to hospital in private vehicles and by public transport because of a lack of ambulances. Images from the scene showed at least one victim lying on a low table being used as a stretcher.

Sergei Aksyonov, the Crimean leader, told Russian television: “It was a mass murder committed by one scumbag.” He said that the body of Roslyakov, who was in his fourth year, was found in the college library, where police discovered and defused a second explosive device.

The killer had legally acquired a licence for a hunting rifle this month. He was reportedly given a permit for a 12-bore shotgun in September, and some witnesses described him using a pump-action weapon.

President Putin offered condolences to the families of the victims and called the shootings a “tragedy”.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x960/methode_2ftimes_2fprod_2fweb_2fbin_2f6f0ae596_d225_11e8_b8d4 _d6fb90acb7b1_55e6f131c91388dcdc026b93d528910e49ce3bfc.jpg

Katamarino
18th Oct 2018, 05:04
Horrific. Interesting to see the reporting. If this had been in the US, the BBC would have had it splashed all over the front page, dwarfing everything else.

As it is, they have a tiny 7 word headline with nothing else to show for it, tucked away at one side of the page. Equal prominence is given to some penguins killed by a dog. Absurd, and shows just how much of an unbalanced obsession the media has with anything the US does.

https://i.imgur.com/DSQmVAKh.png

A_Van
18th Oct 2018, 07:59
Looks like that mentally unstable kid was "inspired" by recent massacres happened in the US....

In particular, some mention similarities with the Columbian tragedy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre )

The main question that arose immediately was how this teen managed to get a legal permission to buy a gun.

Andy_S
18th Oct 2018, 08:09
I wonder who will be first to blame the Ukrainians?

A_Van
18th Oct 2018, 08:16
I wonder who will be first to blame the Ukrainians?

According to what is circulating in the Russian media (both mainstream and "[email protected]") one of the line of investigation is focused to define whether there were "some grown-ups" that might have controlled (in one way or another) that kid. No direct mentioning of islamic groups or Ukrainian nationalists as yet, AFAIK.

Sallyann1234
18th Oct 2018, 09:51
Only in pprune could a school massacre be used to knock the BBC.

DaveReidUK
18th Oct 2018, 14:03
As it is, they have a tiny 7 word headline with nothing else to show for it, tucked away at one side of the page.

This may come as news to you (no pun intended), but everything on that page, indeed on every BBC news page, is a link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlink). Try clicking on one, you might be surprised.

FakePilot
18th Oct 2018, 14:08
Only in pprune could a school massacre be used to knock the BBC.

All major news organizations deserve to be knocked. I'm sorry for those who believe TV.

sitigeltfel
18th Oct 2018, 15:45
All major news organizations deserve to be knocked. I'm sorry for those who believe TV.

Very true, the news organisations are now driven by the agendas of the producers and their increasingly biased presenters. The importance of an event takes a back seat when the opportunity to promote a pet opinion arises.

ORAC
18th Oct 2018, 17:54
The importance of a story is based in the number of presenters they have or can use on the ground and the amountage of footage they can provide- no presenters or footage, minor story.

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2018, 00:21
Ive started to see "scumbag" being used in reports of this event and also Putin's description of Skripal. Perhaps A VAN can oblige with the Russian word which is being so translated, it's not in my old English - Russian dictionary, funnily enough! Cyrillic if possible.

A_Van
19th Oct 2018, 06:42
Ive started to see "scumbag" being used in reports of this event and also Putin's description of Skripal. Perhaps A VAN can oblige with the Russian word which is being so translated, it's not in my old English - Russian dictionary, funnily enough! Cyrillic if possible.

Perhaps this link would help?
https://www.google.ru/search?newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=XmvJW9_wO8uYsAHzsZ2gDg&q=scumbag&oq=scumbag&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l9j0i203k1.1164.3357.0.4052.8.7.0.0.0.0.306.1032.1j3j 1j1.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.6.1030.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i10k1.0.ikdNRcEW-Yc

That is: scumbag = подонок

I am not familiar with British and US slang (just studied classical English at school some 43-52 years ago) but pehaps the word bastard would be a more traditional equivalent. I wonder who "invented" such a construction by adding bag to scum, and assume the purpose was to amplify the negative colour.

johngreen
19th Oct 2018, 07:38
Scumbag noun.

American English. "condom," by 1939, slang, from scum (https://dictionary.com/browse/scum) + bag (https://dictionary.com/browse/bag) (n.). By 1817 it was used in sugar refining as the name of a frame covered in coarse cloth used in straining.

The English word 'Scum' has a much longer Europen history in its more familar meaning of being an unwanted residue of some sort, but in the USA ca 20th century came (ha ha!) to be used as a word for semen.

Now you know!

A_Van
19th Oct 2018, 10:27
Thanks, johngreen, for a detailed explanation.

Then I see that the Russian original "подонок" is not exactly a "scumbag". The translation was not good, obviously. In Russian, this word ("подонок") is not a slang, neither a too dirty word. Just a "very bad man". School children can see it used in classical literature books that they study.

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2018, 10:53
Thanks A Van, my Oxford Russian - English dictionary (1984) defines подонок as "scum, riff-raff", or as "dregs" in the plural, so "scumbag" seems a pretty fair modern translation.

As an aside I had forgotten how many Russian words star with " по-" - 62 pages of them in my dictionary!

chuks
19th Oct 2018, 14:11
That English word is just a very loose epithet meaning "a bad person." Scumbag and dirtbag mean about the same thing. Lowlife is another one.

Nowadays "douchebag" is in vogue, along with "douche" as the abbreviated form. You could say that "Kavanaugh seems to have acted like a real douche during his time in prep school and at Yale," and be perfectly understood. That would be someone who simply did not conduct himself well but still had a high opinion of himself. There the original meaning of douchebag has gone lost: a rubber bag like a hot-water bag with an attached hose and nozzle, used for feminine hygiene. It's a humble household object of homely appearance, I guess, usually found hanging on the back of a bathroom door, kept somewhat out of sight.

If that rubber donut that some hemorrhoid sufferers use to sit upon had such a one-word name then I think it would be used in the same way.

It is not going to happen, but I think that the less attention paid to these outrages the better. Too many perpetrators now seem focused on winning notoriety by their foul deeds, and notoriety is what they usually get. Look at that Norwegian, Breivik, for example, when he wanted to get his private fantasy life into the headlines by doing mass murder. It was not enough for him to just be some sort of imaginary perfect knight. He only "succeeded" by doing mass murder, when he then got the fame he was after.

All that attention paid sends a message, I think, to other losers who want the world to wake up to their private magnificence. Put them down there with the stray dog attacks, by all means. CNN used to "loop" newsflashes all the time whenever some atrocity was committed, going back again and again for a day or two to video clips of fleeing children, gathering SWAT teams, talking heads telling the same story for hours about some community in a state of shock/horror/fear/whatever .... I guess it was good for their ratings. Nowadays, of course, CNN has Trump instead, but this swarming over some foul deed, like bluebottles on a fresh turd, is SOP for American TV news channels, I think.

When Nicaragua was tearing itself apart I was based at Miami International. I usually landed on 09L, next to General Aviation Customs, when I would often see charter flights with news teams there, bringing us the latest on the terrible things being done in Central America, all competing to do that.

WingNut60
19th Oct 2018, 23:30
Saw a news-clip last evening with Putin being quoted (perhaps accurately) as alluding to crimes of this nature following on from similar events in the U.S.
It did not seem that he was allocating blame. Simply alluding to the copy-cat nature of these events and their becoming international.
He mentioned internet grouping fostering aberrant and abhorrent behaviour.

Any Russo-phones see that interview?