PDA

View Full Version : Network Outages

SpringHeeledJack
17th Oct 2018, 12:05
In the last week in the UK, several social media platforms, cable companies, and mobile phone companies have has service disruptions or outages. It seems like rather a lot of large outages in a short period of time, in a relatively small geographic area. Is it that we're more connected and vulnerable than we realise, so one affects the other or are these cyber-warfare skirmishes ?

bnt
17th Oct 2018, 12:34
Over in Ireland a major ISP (Eir) had am Internet outage over the weekend that was linked to their DNS servers. (DNS is the service that converts a friendly name like "pprune.org" in to an IP address, which is how the actual communication takes place.) They aren't saying whether it was an attack or not, but knowing Eir, they don't need to be attacked to go down. Techie internet users know how to detect and work around a DNS outage, by using someone else's DNS such as Google's (8.8.8.8) or Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1), but the average user wouldn't.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Oct 2018, 18:01
In the last week in the UK, several social media platforms, cable companies, and mobile phone companies have has service disruptions or outages. It seems like rather a lot of large outages in a short period of time, in a relatively small geographic area. Is it that we're more connected and vulnerable than we realise, so one affects the other or are these cyber-warfare skirmishes ?
And the Paddington rail outage. It's almost as if "someone" is trying to sabotage Saturday's demo.

ethicalconundrum
17th Oct 2018, 18:33
We are going through some upgrades in the 'techie' world in mid-Oct which is typical for many network and storage providers. They/We do what's called a 'freeze' in mid-Nov through new year so that any disruptions will be less distracting. Also allows the big boys to catch up with all the new crap drivers and upgrades to various software junk that was offered over the summer and is now working with various patches and work-arounds until solid firmware, and OS patching can take care of the junk traffic we're being fed.

I've been preening name servers, and firewalls for a few weeks trying to clear out the Chinese and Russian junk that's piling up. BTW, almost all revisions are done on a Sat night at 11PM through Sun about 4AM. If you notice your access affected on a Sun morning - that's likely me, or one of my cohorts has been banging around on the back-end since O'dark-thirty. Sorry...

I checked for any massive routing faults in N Eu for the past 24 hours, and don't see anything of interest. Some doof in Canada mis-coded his BGP entries, but it didn't get out for long, and the update purged the mistakes shortly. He's been spanked appropriately. Other than that, nothing I can see from the UK going haywire, but I didn't make a concerted effort.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Oct 2018, 19:27
I didn't make a concerted effort.
One guy who ran ISPs for some time told me (I don't know how seriously) that the big screen in the corner of the room was displaying the posting rate to news:rec.motocycling, on the grounds that this newsgroup was about equally popular in all time zones so if the rate ever dropped off something somewhere was broken.

ethicalconundrum
18th Oct 2018, 03:30
One guy who ran ISPs for some time told me (I don't know how seriously) that the big screen in the corner of the room was displaying the posting rate to news:rec.motocycling, on the grounds that this newsgroup was about equally popular in all time zones so if the rate ever dropped off something somewhere was broken.

Not a bad plan. Everyone has their own methods and metrics. I prefer something that is not cached locally, so I have a script I'll float once in a while with various known hops. I can usually see some weird routing on the fetch and reply. It been my experience that the worst offenders are usually the biggest providers. ATT is roundly unsat in many different western markets. Kind of sad.