PDA

View Full Version : RAF Uniform for disposal

Whenurhappy
17th Oct 2018, 08:53
I'm seeking guidance on the disposal of surplus RAF uniforms. I have the following I would like to get rid of (I contacted my local Supply Section and they said they'd take them and put a knife through them):

No 1s - ranked for Wg Cdr, sword hooks and eppauletted size 44 long, 36 inch waist (2 sets). 1 set unranked 42 inch chest (kept in the vain attempt I'd lose weight).
No 2 - used blue shirts, unused trousers (with stable belt loops)
No 5s - ditto with eppaulettes, RE City and heavily quilted (ie stifling to wear). Two waistcoats & one white Marcella waistcoat.
No 6 Tropical Service Dress size 44 long, 36 inch waist (2 sets). Sword hooks, one set with separate 'stiff' eppaulettes.
No 6A White Tropical Ceremonial Dress. Size as above, Velcro for a half-brevet, two pairs of 34" trousers, 31". Sword under-belt.
No 8 White Mess Dress. Three jackets (I'm a messy eater/drinker); two pairs of lightweight mess trousers.
Loads of worn and unworn KD long and short sleeve shirts, 17 1/2" collars, uniform shorts and long KD trousers,
2 x Great Coats
1 x Postman Pat issue Hat; 1 x FS cap - hardly worn (because they look like sh!t)
Sword belt - I will keep my sword.

All are in good condition but have witness marks for a half-brevet, two rows of ribbons and becketts for medals. Sadly I have no need for this ephemera and no room to store it.

And for those unfamiliar/can't remember orders of dress: https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/RAF%20Dress%20Regulations.pdf

teeteringhead
17th Oct 2018, 09:41
Your local Air Cadets/VR(T) or whatever they're called now would be grateful for the "blue" stuff. They only get one initial issue of No 1s, and No 5s are not provided!

The tropical stuff may be trickier - although the 6A is quite rare. I was getting rid of some uniforms for a deceased mate - or rather his widow - and the RAF Museum (Cosford) graetfully took it on!

Just had a thought: if your "Somewhere Sunny" should be Cyprus or Gib, then they have got Air Cadet units so my para 1 may apply. Hope this helps.

Whenurhappy
17th Oct 2018, 09:46
Your local Air Cadets/VR(T) or whatever they're called now would be grateful for the "blue" stuff. They only get one initial issue of No 1s, and No 5s are not provided!

The tropical stuff may be trickier - although the 6A is quite rare. I was getting rid of some uniforms for a deceased mate - or rather his widow - and the RAF Museum (Cosford) graetfully took it on!

Just had a thought: if your "Somewhere Sunny" should be Cyprus or Gib, then they have got Air Cadet units so my para 1 may apply. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'm meeting a mate tonight at the Club who is involved in his local ATC Sqn - I'll ask him. The No 6As are made to measure and jolly fine piece of kit but I doubt it will fit anyone else. Each button was something like £15! Someone has also suggested the local Rep theatre; I might ring the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick, which has (tenuous) RAF connections as it was originally housed in PR trailers, and I'll be up there on the weekend. I also have several bush jackets - arguably the smartest piece of kit - sadly, obsolete.

Tankertrashnav
17th Oct 2018, 10:33
The sword belt would interest a collector - I'd suggest the militaria section of ebay for that. I had little luck disposing of my uniforms of a similar vintage (R.E.City? There's a name from the past) but the SD caps found a home on ebay also.

Wensleydale
17th Oct 2018, 10:59
There are a lot of re-enactor groups around Lincolnshire that would like them I am sure. Uniforms are always in demand at the 1940s weekend in Woodhall Spa for example.

kenparry
17th Oct 2018, 11:01
eBay works, if all else fails. There are always people who buy uniforms to wear when they visit airshows. One sees interesting combinations - officer's uniform with airman's hat ( and vice versa); officer's uniform with airman's eagle on the sleeve, etc etc. Good luck!

MPN11
17th Oct 2018, 11:52
I have a note somewhere of an outfit that buys military unirorns for filming purposes. I must try to dig it out again.

Also suffering here with No 1 and No 5 and Greatcoats ... all x2, his and hers, ranked wg cdr, no brevets or medals! Postage from Jersey will be a bit heavy, though, especially for greatcoats!!

Herc-u-lease
17th Oct 2018, 11:53
I recently sold my 1s and 5s on eBay. Put them on a 30-day buy it now with a sensible offers price and they will go. If you're wanting to do some good, give the proceeds to RAFA.

H

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2018, 16:00
Try also vintage clothing retailers. These are always sought by 'renactors and can easily be modified to WW2 designs. I h ave seen one old boy with a most improbable array include modern ACM rank braid.
​​​​​

VinRouge
17th Oct 2018, 16:26
I'm seeking guidance on the disposal of surplus RAF uniforms. I have the following I would like to get rid of (I contacted my local Supply Section and they said they'd take them and put a knife through them):

No 1s - ranked for Wg Cdr, sword hooks and eppauletted size 44 long, 36 inch waist (2 sets). 1 set unranked 42 inch chest (kept in the vain attempt I'd lose weight).
No 2 - used blue shirts, unused trousers (with stable belt loops)
No 5s - ditto with eppaulettes, RE City and heavily quilted (ie stifling to wear). Two waistcoats & one white Marcella waistcoat.
No 6 Tropical Service Dress size 44 long, 36 inch waist (2 sets). Sword hooks, one set with separate 'stiff' eppaulettes.
No 6A White Tropical Ceremonial Dress. Size as above, Velcro for a half-brevet, two pairs of 34" trousers, 31". Sword under-belt.
No 8 White Mess Dress. Three jackets (I'm a messy eater/drinker); two pairs of lightweight mess trousers.
Loads of worn and unworn KD long and short sleeve shirts, 17 1/2" collars, uniform shorts and long KD trousers,
2 x Great Coats
1 x Postman Pat issue Hat; 1 x FS cap - hardly worn (because they look like sh!t)
Sword belt - I will keep my sword.

All are in good condition but have witness marks for a half-brevet, two rows of ribbons and becketts for medals. Sadly I have no need for this ephemera and no room to store it.

And for those unfamiliar/can't remember orders of dress: https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/RAF%20Dress%20Regulations.pdf
What chest size are the great coats? Like rocking horse doo do and actually a demand item imho.

I reckon worth a few Bob to an enthusiast on eBay. Also worth considering keeping the ones as an heirloom for any family, may be worth something g I .Years to come with two rows of medals and any service record.

Just a thought.

MPN11
17th Oct 2018, 17:35
So many greatcoats got cut down to British Warms in my day. Ours are virgo intacto ;)

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2018, 18:12
I had a job with frequent travel so the British Warm gave me a good winter coat for traveling and a warm uniform cost at work. I think moths got it in the end.

jindabyne
17th Oct 2018, 18:45
I'll wear mine en-route to the crem!

tmmorris
17th Oct 2018, 20:21
These people?

https://www.cetomilitaria.co.uk/

Tankertrashnav
17th Oct 2018, 23:05
So many greatcoats got cut down to British Warms in my day.

And what an abortion they looked compared to the original army style. The RAF just didnt get the idea of the British warm and insisted that they had rank braid on the epaulette, and RAF buttons, whereas the army version doesn't have rank and has leather buttons and can therefore be worn in civvies. All in all a complete waste of a bloody good coat and I really wished I had never had mine done.

Tinman74
17th Oct 2018, 23:21
I’ll have one of the great coats, please.

Whenurhappy
18th Oct 2018, 06:41
What chest size are the great coats? Like rocking horse doo do and actually a demand item imho.

I reckon worth a few Bob to an enthusiast on eBay. Also worth considering keeping the ones as an heirloom for any family, may be worth something g I .Years to come with two rows of medals and any service record.

Just a thought.
The great coats are 42 inch chest. I’m considering retaining one set of No 1s which are up to date with ribbons etc, but my recent diagnosis of advanced (Stage IV) lung cancer (and no, I’ve never smoked) means I’m trying to get my house in order and reduce the enormous amount of stuff I have (and lets not mention the tankards, hip flasks, framed photos, plaques etc that I need to find a home for). It pains me to get rid of this ephemera but there is little point keeping it in trunks, never to see the light of day. And it means nothing to others. And the kids can’t take it; son has just started at university and daughter is still at school.

I’ve also been an avid collector of nautical navigation equipment (compasses, sextants etc) which is proving to be quite collectible by others. We simply do not have the room to keep all my stuff and I want to reduce the burden on others in the future whilst I have the wherewithal to do so.

This is also accounts for those who know me why I’ve not been seen around the MOD or FCO, or on industry meetings for several months. That and I’ve grown a hipster beard 🧔

Pontius Navigator
18th Oct 2018, 08:22
WUH, sad to hear that. From what you say all your ephemera could be turned into hard cash. Even stuff just kicking around in a drawer, just in case, has a value to someone. Some things have obvious value and others apparently none. However to give two examples of the latter: a compass corrector key that I had for 50 years and a RNZAF metal nav never given to me in 1973 turned out to be 1944. The first went locally and the other to Oz.

it takes a little work photographing and marketing but it is money in the bank.

MPN11
18th Oct 2018, 08:37
WUH ... sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That resonates with me, as I've just had a brush with Prostate C [and won]. https://prostatecancer209686453.wordpress.com

I am, however, also looking to clear out some of the accumulation of 74 years. With an ex-RAF wife, we've clocked up 55 years in light blue and there's a bunch of uniforms I'd like to get rid of. tmmorris has provided a useful link, so I may start exploring that particular route. I've just shipped out our lifetime collection of unit plaques to a guy on eBay who sells this stuff: they're been sat in the attic still in their packing from when we moved here 13 years ago, and we really don't have a place for them in this house (and who else cares!). I'm now four hundred wine-tokens richer! :)

https://i.imgur.com/c1c92gG.jpg

ricardian
18th Oct 2018, 09:22
£8 for ONE collar! (https://www.cetomilitaria.co.uk/ourshop/prod_4415362-Shirt-Collar-Blue-RAF.html) Various other bits of RAF uniform are for sale on that site.

Whenurhappy
18th Oct 2018, 09:24
WUH ... sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That resonates with me, as I've just had a brush with Prostate C [and won]. https://prostatecancer209686453.wordpress.com

I am, however, also looking to clear out some of the accumulation of 74 years. With an ex-RAF wife, we've clocked up 55 years in light blue and there's a bunch of uniforms I'd like to get rid of. tmmorris has provided a useful link, so I may start exploring that particular route. I've just shipped out our lifetime collection of unit plaques to a guy on eBay who sells this stuff: they're been sat in the attic still in their packing from when we moved here 13 years ago, and we really don't have a place for them in this house (and who else cares!). I'm now four hundred wine-tokens richer! :)

https://i.imgur.com/c1c92gG.jpg
Gulp! What a load of unit badges and crests. I have a lot of iffy foreign ones and NATO stuff; a look on eBay has shown there is a ready market for this stuff.

MPN11
18th Oct 2018, 10:10
Gulp! What a load of unit badges and crests. I have a lot of iffy foreign ones and NATO stuff; a look on eBay has shown there is a ready market for this stuff.That's what you get from 55 years joint service!! LOTS of postings!

Perfectly reasonable guy to deal with too, and paid me promptly through PayPal. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Covhero/Air-Force-plaques/_i.html?_storecat=7027417016

PTonhisDucati
18th Oct 2018, 14:44
I’d be very interested in the great coat and number 1 uniform maybe?
I’m a serving Wg Cdr nav, 6’3’’ tall.
Are they still available?

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

Whenurhappy
18th Oct 2018, 18:35
I’d be very interested in the great coat and number 1 uniform maybe?
I’m a serving Wg Cdr nav, 6’3’’ tall.
Are they still available?
one set of No 1s left (I’m 6’1”). Drop me a PM

LoeyDaFrog
18th Oct 2018, 21:26
WUH,
I'd be happy to give one of the sets of 5s a good home. Are they still available?
Loey

tmmorris
19th Oct 2018, 11:24
I’d love a set of the no 8s but I can’t imagine an excuse to wear them, sadly! Mostly because someone gave me a set of the rank shoulder boards a few years back and I have finally made it to the relevant rank to wear them.

cargosales
19th Oct 2018, 22:44
I was having a clear out recently and came across a couple of long forgotten full sets of DPMs plus a load of other associated bits of 'cabbage kit'. Turns out the local ATC unit DOES still allow cadets to venture into the woods at night, ideally appropriately dressed, AND they have a few cadets whose parents don't earn very much so can't afford all the right kit to 'fit in' with the other kids without feeling any stigma. = They would be very grateful for the donation.

Do please try your local unit if you have any surplus stuff .....

CS

cargosales
19th Oct 2018, 22:55
WUH,

You have both my sympathy and my huge respect for your position and what you're doing about it...

It's nothing to compare but I'm in a similar position WRT sorting out my late fathers effects .. I'm not well and no-one in the family is interested in his old uniforms / medals / incredibly detailed & annotated photo albums of his Army life (Para activities in the 50s and 60s) and before that, which are simply mindboggling, Haifa docks in 1948! etc. As you well know, it's trying to find things a good home before I go that's the problem.

Much respect from here Sir,

CS

ricardian
20th Oct 2018, 00:34
WUH,
You have both my sympathy and my huge respect for your position and what you're doing about it...
It's nothing to compare but I'm in a similar position WRT sorting out my late fathers effects .. I'm not well and no-one in the family is interested in his old uniforms / medals / incredibly detailed & annotated photo albums of his Army life (Para activities in the 50s and 60s) and before that, which are simply mindboggling, Haifa docks in 1948! etc. As you well know, it's trying to find things a good home before I go that's the problem.
Much respect from here Sir,
CS

I am sure that the Parachute Regiment Association (https://theparachuteregimentalassociation.com/) would be interested

Whenurhappy
21st Oct 2018, 08:42
WUH,
I'd be happy to give one of the sets of 5s a good home. Are they still available?
Loey
Gone, I'm afraid.

Whenurhappy
21st Oct 2018, 08:43
I’d love a set of the no 8s but I can’t imagine an excuse to wear them, sadly! Mostly because someone gave me a set of the rank shoulder boards a few years back and I have finally made it to the relevant rank to wear them.
Those rank boards are worth a pretty penny. I did have a full set from Plt Off, but got rid of them a few years ago to a couple of mates going to Cyprus - before I realised how much they were worth!

Whenurhappy
21st Oct 2018, 08:47
I was having a clear out recently and came across a couple of long forgotten full sets of DPMs plus a load of other associated bits of 'cabbage kit'. Turns out the local ATC unit DOES still allow cadets to venture into the woods at night, ideally appropriately dressed, AND they have a few cadets whose parents don't earn very much so can't afford all the right kit to 'fit in' with the other kids without feeling any stigma. = They would be very grateful for the donation.

Do please try your local unit if you have any surplus stuff .....

CS
I returned all my old DPM and webbing a few years ago when overseas; it wasn't practicable to send it to a cadet unit, sadly. However my son is now in the OTC and has hoovered up my remaining PCS/MTP (ie the new, 'Murcan pattern DPM). I'm keeping the leather shoulder holster, for the moment, at least.

LoeyDaFrog
21st Oct 2018, 10:20
Gone, I'm afraid.
Guess I should have typed faster! Thanks anyway
b/r
Loey

XFC
29th Oct 2018, 16:48

Whenurhappy,

After a slightly ‘overexuberant’ post parade meal I am on the look out for a new set of No 1s.

Are your 42 inch No 1s still available?

MPN11
29th Oct 2018, 17:56
I guess my No. 1 is 42”. No ribbons or flying badges, just wg cdr braid. Remind me to have a look in the back of the wardrobe and grab a tape measure. Likewise No. 5. Are we talking money or donations?

PM me if you’re interested.