PDA

View Full Version : Turning off power switch on computer when going to bed?

A37575
15th Oct 2018, 13:50
For many years I have been in the habit of switching off the power switch to my desk top computer before going to bed at night. This is to minimise fire risk. Opinions seem to vary depending on whom you talk to.
Some say it is better for the computer to leave power on to its components as the heating and cooling cycle can cause long term damage. Although I have a smoke detector in case something happens I must say that the computer has not given me any trouble that I am aware of by switching off the power overnight. Request opinions (facts?)

I asked a similar question many years ago when I was flying the Boeing 737-200 re switching off the Bendix weather radar rather than leaving it on standby in cruise in fine weather and during turn arounds between flights. Bendix replied saying they recommended turning off the radar (rather than leave it on Standby mode) if it was not being used in fine weather or during turn arounds on the ground. . They claim it does no harm and reduces servicing costs.

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2018, 14:42
I tend to switch off any electrical item with a "standby" mode, such as modern TVs. As much as anything, to save electricity. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't bother but is almost paranoid about switching off the electric kettle at the wall and pulling out the plug from the socket every night or every time she leaves the house (even if I'm staying at home).

If I ever ask her why she doesn't do the same with the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier, toaster, fridge and freezer, bedside lights, TV, sewing machines etc. I just get that look... :suspect:

FullOppositeRudder
16th Oct 2018, 10:00
I've always shut down my computer(s) using the standard Windows exit ceremony and left it at that. I'm aware that many / most of them stay in a partly energised state whilst still connected to the power, but I've never been concerned at what could happen because statistically the risk could be considered to be virtually zero.

Most of my amateur radio gear is treated the same way - shut off at the transceiver power switch - the 13.8 volt power supplies are all left in standby mode - active and ready to power up the connected rig straight away. I do this primarily because I trust my construction methods and have appropriate fuses both in the AC supply side of transformers and DC fuses and electronic 'crowbar' over voltage protection on the DC side. Some of my gear is on 24/7 anyway - specifically the APRS gateway and a Satgate and its associated pre-amp.

FOR

Pontius Navigator
2nd Nov 2018, 10:03
I try and avoid pulling plugs as it places a strain on both pins and the socket. If both are really secure then no problem but if there is any movement, no matter how slight, they will get worse.

At work I managed two mainframe computers in environmentally stable rooms. We used to shut down over a 10 day Christmas shut down. Restarting was always problematical. Last couple of standdowns I left them running, no probs.

Procrastinus
2nd Nov 2018, 11:03
I always switch off power cable to laptops if shut down - simply to try to avoid fire risk with Lithium batteries.
This habit has spread to desktops as well !

obgraham
2nd Nov 2018, 19:11
Having always been taught that heat is the enemy of electronic life, I turn my desktop off every night, though I do not unplug it. When I leave for a month or more I unplug it via the power strip.

Who knows if that is better than letting it run? Damn things crap out at 3-4 years anyway.

Mac the Knife
2nd Nov 2018, 20:34
",,,heat is the enemy of electronic life..."

No, it isn't heat as such, but thermal cycling. They're all on UPSes so I don't worry that much.
Most modern systems put themselves in a low-power mode anyway if you don't use them.
I have a crapload of computers running a variety of OSes and I rarely shut 'em down or unplug them - they just go to sleep.
Its really only Windows that often demands a restart if you install some new apps.
Linux or BSD only if you are going to change the kernel

My (somewhat modded) Mac Mini has an uptime of nearly a year (when I installed High Sierra)
I haven't checked the NAS boxen, but they must have uptimes of well over two years
(last time I rearranged the MacLab)

Mac

Mark in CA
29th Nov 2018, 13:06
Most modern electronics will last longer if left on all the time rather than turned on and off regularly. Thermal cycling is the culprit, as is the initial power surge when turned on. Probably the best example of this is a common tungsten light bulb. I had a ceiling fixture in my dining room controlled by a dimmer, and rather than turning the dimmer completely off, I always left it at the lowest power setting, at which point the bulbs' elements barely glowed, but did not go completely off. The bulbs in the lamp never burned out, even after 8 or 10 years. They were still going strong when I sold the house.

More to the point, I almost always leave my computer in sleep mode, not only to reduce thermal stress, but it also ensures my Windows OS automatically updates to the latest version of whatever item needs updating, especially security updates. I never turn off my home networking gear -- router, switches, network drive, phone adapters, etc. Anything using an external power brick will be fairly well isolated from the mains.

belfrybat
5th Dec 2018, 02:18
I second the standby mode. One of my previous computers I used to shut down and then power off at the power strip. Until the day the PSU failed with a rather spectacular bang when powered on. Apparently the repeated surges wore out something in the high voltage section.

TWT
7th Dec 2018, 04:34
I don't leave a powered charger connected to any type of battery when I plan on sleeping.

CaptOveur
7th Dec 2018, 23:51
Probably the best example of this is a common tungsten light bulb.

Off topic, but speaking of... Livermore's Centennial Light Bulb (http://www.centennialbulb.org/)

Guess they don't build vacuum pumps like they used to... :)

cattletruck
12th Dec 2018, 08:00
I always power down and disconnect domestic computer devices from the power socket when I finish using them and have never had any issues. My concern for damage from excessive thermal cycling is swamped by knowledge of poor design and cheap manufacturing processes used in building this kind of equipment.