PDA

View Full Version : Does your job entitle you to free food & drink?

cargosales
14th Oct 2018, 21:14
Does your job entitle you to free food & drink? Sorry but I'm probably going to upset some here but I say 'no'. By all means let them go to the front of the queue in case they're in a hurry but why shouldn't they pay like the rest of us?

We all choose what job we do and whether or not we carry cash when doing that job, however risky. I'm not one but,for example, bus drivers risk assault, injuries etc every day of the week but that never makes the national news.And you never hear them bleating about not getting a free coffee.

I chose to serve in the Forces but does that make me 'entitled' to anything more than a bus driver?? I say no.

So why are firefighters bleating because McDonalds didn't give then free stuff simply because those guys didn't have the presence of mind to carry a bit of cash on them???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-45853429

Awaiting incoming

CS

G-CPTN
14th Oct 2018, 21:22
Cash isn't an essential commodity these days - a card payment is usually possible.

cargosales
14th Oct 2018, 21:29
Cash isn't an essential commodity these days - a card payment is usually possible.

Fair point that I hadn't thought of. But why couldn't just one of these guys have carried a card to pay for their brews? Surely they have enough pockets in those uniforms of theirs???? And the essential question remains the same

Sallyann1234
14th Oct 2018, 21:36
Where did you get the 'food and drink' from?
There was no mention of food in the report.

As reported, they don't take money to a fire, so probably not credit cards either.

cargosales
14th Oct 2018, 22:02
Where did you get the 'food and drink' from?
There was no mention of food in the report.

As reported, they don't take money to a fire, so probably not credit cards either.

OK, fair point about the food (but it's been referenced many times in other, similar UK news stories). To return to this lot, WHY don't they take money with them? Are they expecting freebies just because of what they do or because they're working? Or they don't have enough pockets? Or they can't leave a wallet in their fire engine? Or .. whatever

Sorry, that really doesn't wash.

In the Air Force I expected nothing simply because I was working, end of. And if something needed paying for when we were on duty then we bought it, end of. Why can't they?

G-CPTN
14th Oct 2018, 22:13
I can understand why they wouldn't want to carry valuables with them on a shout - best to leave them 'safe' in the depot.

fitliker
15th Oct 2018, 01:55
There is a pub in Dublin where you get free food , free drink and as much sex as you like !!l
It must be true my sister told me :)

sitigeltfel
15th Oct 2018, 05:49
It seems strange that there is no provision for "refreshments" on board their vehicles, they could be tackling incidents a long way from any nourishment. Maybe they had used them all up?

Looking at Google maps, there is a KFC and Burger King across from McD. They should have tried them as well to see which one was the most charitable.

Tashengurt
15th Oct 2018, 06:45
It would potentially be a disciplinary offence to accept a free drink in my job.
I think it's a bit rich to expect freebies and complain when they aren't forthcoming. Surely the fire service can predict that their staff might get a bit parched fighting a fire in full kit for several hours and should make suitable provision?

WilliumMate
15th Oct 2018, 07:00
For a business the size of McD, giving away perhaps 100L of fizzy post mix pop would have a minimum cost compared to the positive publicity and image boost it would create. Having said that there does seem to be a sense of entitlement in some of the firefighters attitudes that is slightly distasteful.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2018, 07:02
Surely the fire service can predict that their staff might get a bit parched fighting a fire in full kit for several hours and should make suitable provision?
The WRVS and Salvation Army used to provide a 'tea wagon' in the 1940s.

krismiler
15th Oct 2018, 07:21
A staff canteen selling reasonably priced food is a necessity where the location is isolated and shifts are involved, such as a hospital, prison or mine site.

A city office worker has many options available if they want to go out for lunch and can easily order in from a number of food delivery services, they can even bring their own food as most companies would have a room with a fridge, kettle and microwave.

Occupations involving extended periods away from home such as merchant sailors or the armed forces need to be catered for as well as food is difficult to source when on duty. Aircrew need to be provided with meals as there is rarely the opportunity to take an outside break at appropriate times, there may be questionable hygiene in transit ports and bringing in your own food may be difficult down route.

Firefighters typically remain at one station for their shift, where cooking facilities are available so that they can eat at normal times when not called out. Food can easily be brought in from home or purchased locally and prepared in the kitchen so little extra expense is involved, unlike a sales representative who doesn’t have cooking facilities and has to eat in cafes or restaurants. Typically the rep. would receive an allowance to cover the extra expense involved vs cooking and eating at home.

What happened to the tea van which supplied refreshments to emergency service personnel during major incidents ? A cup of tea and a bacon sandwich was a great morale booster for those involved.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2018, 07:46
a sales representative who doesn’t have cooking facilities and has to eat in cafes or restaurants. Typically the rep. would receive an allowance to cover the extra expense involved vs cooking and eating at home.
Never heard of such an arrangement in the UK, however my Scandinavian employer covered all out-of-pocket expenses when travelling.

Nemrytter
15th Oct 2018, 08:14
Never heard of such an arrangement in the UK, however my Scandinavian employer covered all out-of-pocket expenses when travelling.When I worked for a UK organisation I was entitled to claim all (non-alcohol) expenses. I was also entitled to claim for one alcoholic drink per day. It took them a little while to realise that they should specify "pint/glass" etc to prevent people from buying a bottle of wine per day.:ok:

ShotOne
15th Oct 2018, 08:17
"Entitled?" : No. But it would have been a nice gesture.

Pontius Navigator
15th Oct 2018, 08:58
Krismiler gave a good balanced answer to the question. MOD Civil Servant away from the office could claim actuals and that used to include half a bottle of wine (quality unspecified).

HM Forces have had varying subsidy rules when away from base.

For commercial travellers there are rules. An employer may provide subsistence. This is taxable and may attract tax relief. If no subsistence then relief may be claimed on the whole.

But in the underlying question, No one is entirely to a greener by virtue of their job. It might be offered and accepted gratefully but there should be no expectation.

We were staying in a Scarborough hotel when the hotel opposite had a number of false alarms. Our hotel set up a free hot drinks and bacon butty bar in the foyer for furer/guests etc.

VP959
15th Oct 2018, 09:04
Are firefighters allowed to carry their wallets when on a shout? I know that, years ago, we weren't supposed to fly with money or wallets, although some did (for which I was grateful once, when instead of landing back at St Mawgan we had to divert to Keflavik for the night).

I would have thought that, for a job where dehydration has to be an everyday risk, the fire service would provide drinks as a matter of course.

Andy_S
15th Oct 2018, 09:14
I'm surprised the McDonalds couldn't have offered tap water. Or did the Fire-fighters specifically request soft drinks or beverages on the house?

Nervous SLF
15th Oct 2018, 09:31
Many of us, but Not all, tour coach driver/guides didn't expect free food and drink when we took our passengers
into an establishment but we happily accepted what was offered. Alas some thought that they were entitled and
sometimes took their next group elsewhere if they didn't get what they wanted.

charliegolf
15th Oct 2018, 09:49
Who went public with it? Seems a bit whiney if the firefighters leaked it.

CG

eal401
15th Oct 2018, 09:58
Am I entitled to free food and drink? Well, when I am on a business trip I am in a manner of speaking - however, I still have to provide a method of payment in the form of a company credit card.

It is not McDonalds' responsibility to feed the emergency services when they are on duty, same applies to any other food outlet or store. Saying that however, had I been the manager of said branch, I would have not hesitated to provide it without charge. But equally wouldn't have gone crowing to the press about it!

krismiler
15th Oct 2018, 10:08
Tourist attractions often look after drivers very well, reason being that visitors often ask taxi/tourist drivers about a place they intend visiting, and if given an unfavorable opinion may be inclined to give it a miss.

I wouldn't begrudge a coach driver getting a free lunch as long as the place he took us to was good value rather than a tourist trap. Thirty people ordering a meal is certainly worth an establishment giving him a plate of food and could be regarded as a perk of a relatively low paid job.

Tour guides on the other hand often demand a rake off from certain business in return for bringing customers. Major attractions such as the Eiffel Tower or Buckingham Palace obviously won't pay, but the souvenir shops are quite happy to pad their prices to accommodate the practice. Real low life establishments may not even have prices displayed and adjust the response when asked according to nationality.

Pontius Navigator
15th Oct 2018, 10:26
CG, the primary point of the whinge may have been to thank the man and woman who stepped in. McDs reaction only being the reason.

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2018, 13:14
If the fire crew had come to my house they would certainly have got free drinks; we would have offered them without being asked.
But my understanding is that Mc D's are franchised outlets. If that is correct, how could someone from the company other than the manager/owner of the said branch, comment?

Blues&twos
15th Oct 2018, 13:33
Not entitled, but if the reporting is taken to be gospel (!) then rather mean spirited.
There may be an underlying reason behind the refusal, though - maybe a staff member had been hauled over the coals for giving away stuff in the past and wasn't prepared to be the fall guy this time. I've seen this sort of thing in other industries.
It would be interesting to know what the actual request/response was between the staff and fire service.

Kiltrash
15th Oct 2018, 18:22
My local Fire Crew and engine are regularly seen in the car park of my local supermarket and some of the crew are in the establishment making purchases. so I assume that they do carry Cards / cash in the engine.

My local petrol station has a Costa Coffee machine and the manager is quite happy to get Police cars on the forecourt in exchange for free coffee

Near where I live is a 30 MPH road that the oiks feel the need to treat as a 40+, the Mobile Speed Camera van visits occasionally, I have been known that when I see the van I return to them with a flask of coffee and paper cups and biccies.

Keep the emergency services happy (and military) as you never know when you will need them

K

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Oct 2018, 19:02
include half a bottle of wine (quality unspecified).
A salesman I once went on a couple of jollies with reckoned he hadn't done the trip properly if the wine cost less than the room.

flash8
15th Oct 2018, 21:27
We have a fridge in the office filled with canned soft drinks.... free... however when I started drinking 5-6 a day (Pepsi Max) one of the bosses I have complained to me I was "Over-utilising" (his words) the fridge... strongly wanted to correct his inaccurate wording but bit my tongue and cut down my usage. Cheeky bugger as well... lent him a smartphone the week before as his broke.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2018, 21:57
My office in Denmark was equipped with a coffee machine and endless supplies of (real) coffee, such that I became addicted to caffeine and struggled to survive when out of the office on travel, trying to find places for a fix.

FLCH
15th Oct 2018, 22:11
Yup free food (well contractually agreed upon) and drinks, but I avail myself to a cup of airline coffee before push and a couple of bottles of water during a transatlantic flight, the rest isn't worth it but that's just me

Tankertrashnav
15th Oct 2018, 22:26
There is a whole thread elsewhere devoted to forces discount cards, which I am against in principle. I have the same attitude to anyone expecting free drinks because of the job they do. There is a big difference between getting free food and drink from your own organisation, which will be a matter for them, and expecting it to be dished out because of the nature of your occupation - if indeed that was the case, which of course we don't know.

Ascend Charlie
16th Oct 2018, 00:06
In Oz in the 80s, any policeman in uniform who went into a Macdonalds would be charged half price on their purchase. This was to encourage a uniformed presence and to minimise the yobboes causing troubles.

Sadly, it was rorted by plain-clothes and off-duty cops, which sort of defeated the purpose. Dills.

Blues&twos
16th Oct 2018, 10:37
In Oz in the 80s, any policeman in uniform who went into a Macdonalds would be charged half price on their purchase.

Ambulance and Fire Service would get theirs free?
:}

krismiler
16th Oct 2018, 11:04
In Oz in the 80s, any policeman in uniform who went into a Macdonalds would be charged half price on their purchase.

I heard that they would sometimes get "extras" added to their meal.

teeteringhead
17th Oct 2018, 11:16
Never heard of such an arrangement in the UK, however my Scandinavian employer covered all out-of-pocket expenses when travelling.

The next week there was Ingrid
The finest of the bunch
But down on my expenses
She was Breakfast, Tea and Lunch!

cubemaster
17th Oct 2018, 11:32
But my understanding is that Mc D's are franchised outlets.

Some outlets are franchised and some are run directly by McDonalds. Prices can vary slightly between franchised/non-franchised outlets, as does the standard wage.

dook
17th Oct 2018, 16:29
I get all my food and drink free.

Mrs. d buys it all. All I have to do is add requirements to the shopping list.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Oct 2018, 17:04
The next week there was Ingrid
The finest of the bunch
But down on my expenses
She was Breakfast, Tea and Lunch!
Manager: "Why have you put a hooker on your expense claim?"
Salesman: "My contact of employment says I get the same standard of living whilst travelling as I get at home."

Fareastdriver
17th Oct 2018, 18:47
Always used to go on the laundry bill.

ShyTorque
17th Oct 2018, 19:32
I know a certain sub-imprest holder who was alleged to have bought quite a number of bottles of cheese. Some were red and some white.
But I only ever eat beer, so I've never been "party" to that sort of thing.