PDA

View Full Version : Turning 26, Career Change?

Kevinlee999
14th Oct 2018, 10:28
Hi,

I'm about to turn 26 and thinking of career change to become an airline pilot. I'm passionate about flying and willing to put in all the work it will take to achieve this.

I really want to do this but are the job prospects for my age poor, assuming I won't be able to get my CPL until I turn 28?

Thanks

tail wheel
14th Oct 2018, 19:54
28 is old???? :confused:

Go forth young man and aviate! :}

The Nemesis
15th Oct 2018, 00:22
As long as you would be happy flying for one of the regional airlines, or as a flying instructor, go for it. It's an awful lot of money with to part with should the illusive "airline pilot" job not eventuate.

machtuk
15th Oct 2018, 00:27
It's doable BUT always have a back up plan, aviation is not a secure industry these days, that together with the ever present risk of losing yr medical means enjoy the very expensive ride along the way but wear a parachute at all times !

Good luck:-)

Global Aviator
15th Oct 2018, 04:56
Follow your dream or you will regret it.

YPJT
15th Oct 2018, 05:01
I wish I was 20 or 30 years younger. A lot might disagree but from where I sit the opportunities out there at the moment are better than they have been in years.

kingRB
15th Oct 2018, 08:45
I did at the same age. Sitting in an airline gig now. Go for it :ok:

PoppaJo
15th Oct 2018, 10:12
I didn’t go in until late, whilst quite a while ago. PPL as a hobby for 15 years then CPL at 35. Age seemed to assist in terms of job progression as I was on a narrow body early 40s. Had the command at 45 and on the home run as we speak. I was constantly quizzed by fellow colleagues on why the late start....quite simply earning more cash in a previous field setting myself up before going into low paying aviation jobs on piss poor terms and conditions being screwed over regularly (yep that last part panned out as expected).

Deejaypee
16th Oct 2018, 04:00
Same as Poppajo, CPL AT 31, back to old career to build the bank account then at 34 packed the car and drove north.
3 years flying charter then jagged RPT job initially pistons then a year later Multi Crew Turbine now narrow body Jet command. Extra life and job experience before aviation goes a long way when applying for early flying positions.
Best of luck. If you don’t have a go you’ll spend the rest of your life wishing you had!

RHSandLovingIt
16th Oct 2018, 10:33
My IT job went to India without me when I was 34... At the time I'd had my PPL for a year or so and was part-timing the CPL... so with a fairly generous payout and lots of spare time, I ticked the CPL box fairly quickly after that.

Was "right place, right time" and got a GA gig which landed me another 600 hrs (paid) for ~900 TT... Got my MEIR sorted, but after unsuccessfully trying to get something more substantial with secondary operators, I bit the bullet and headed off to Indonesia to bash around the jungles in a caravan for Susi Air... picked up around 1000 hrs of Turbine/ATO ("multi-crew") time...

Earlier this year, started a Twin Turbine job with a Regional Airline with a shade under 2000 TT... at the age of 43.

You're only as old as the woman you feel ;) [1]

[1] For the record, she's 36 :E