PDA

View Full Version : ASIC application advice

Jjwins
13th Oct 2018, 14:03
Hi all, so I am trying to find out if I will be able to get approved for a ASIC card if I have a previous criminal record. About 2 years ago I received a section 9 bond and a good behaviour bond for 12 months. For stalk and intimidate after sending some emails and text messages to a former partner. I have never had any other charges and haven't had any trouble since then and have finished my good behaviour bond.

I have learnt from my past and I made a mistake but it just will suck if I will get knocked back due to this. I would appreciate any advice or information that anyone can provide.

Cheers

YPJT
13th Oct 2018, 19:08
Do a search for Aviation-Security-Relevant--Offence. Some info here
https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Rural_and_Regional_Affairs_and_Transport/AviationSecurity45/~/media/Committees/rrat_ctte/AviationSecurity45/c05.pdf
even if the offence is of the kind referred to, a lot of things are taken into consideration such as your age at the time of the offence, How long since you were convicted with no subsequent offence history and the specific details of the offence. In many cases it comes down to a review of actual court transcripts.

it can go one of three ways:
1. You are granted approval to be issued
2. You are found to have a qualified criminal history in which case you can be issued a card but must undergo a further background check check in 12 months.
3. You are refused an ASIC

if you find yourself being refused there is also the option of applying directly to the Secretary of he Department for a "Discretionary Card"

your issuing body will not be given information regarding your history. Only whether or not the card can be issued and any limitations that apply.

Applications such as this generally take significantly longer to process.

YPJT
13th Oct 2018, 21:58
And just as an added note. There is no requirement to disclose your conviction history to the issuing body that you make the application through.

kaz3g
14th Oct 2018, 04:08
And just as an added note. There is no requirement to disclose your conviction history to the issuing body that you make the application through.

Were the bonds with or without conviction? If without, you can answer a question “have you been convicted...” in the negative. But you must answer a question “have you ever been charged...” in the affirmative. And it will show up on Auscheck either way.

kaz

Jjwins
14th Oct 2018, 04:39
Thanks for the input, yeah unfortunately it was a section 9 not 10 which is a conviction is recorded. I no it will come up, but I was just more wanting to no if it is actually a aviation - security -related - offence or not.. I guess the only way to tell will be to apply be upfront and lay it all out and see what they say. Thanks guys

YPJT
14th Oct 2018, 09:38
Mate you don't have to say anything to anyone. Like kaz3g said, AUSCHECK will be advised by state and Feds on all relevant history. It comes down to AUSCHECK as to whether they approve it or not. If the issuing body you apply through asks you to disclose anything yourself, take your business elsewhere.
PM me if you want any further info