PDA

View Full Version : The Meuse-Argonne

ORAC
13th Oct 2018, 07:41
Apologies, not aviation related. Reading the article it just seemed to me that perhaps those able should give the cemeteries a visit this month, just to let them know they aren’t forgotten by those here in Europe.

https://streetwiseprofessor.com/the-apotheosis-of-an-american-army-the-meuse-argonne-100-years-ago/

The Meuse-Argonne: 100 Years Ago

”.......But today, the centennial is passing almost completely unnoticed. Where else but here are you reading about it?

In the aftermath of the war, the federal government, and many state governments, erected large monuments commemorating American service in the war. Although the remains of most of the tens-of-thousands slain in the Meuse-Argonne were brought home, many thousands more were interred in large cemeteries, most notably the Aisne-Marne Cemetery to the west of Rheims, and the Romagne Cemetery to the east. The monuments are truly epic in scale–the US erected nothing comparable in the aftermath of WWII. The cemeteries are immense–Romagne is larger than the cemetery at Omaha Beach.

Yet these places are almost forgotten and unvisited today.* Located in an isolated pocket of France, commemorating a war that is largely outside of the consciousness of modern Americans (for whom even WWII is a vague memory), few Americans see them, either on purpose or by accident.

The isolation and loneliness makes them truly haunting places. I visited the Argonne battlefields with my dad in June, 2010. We were alone everywhere. We seldom saw even a car on the road as we wound our way across the Argonne, from the ravine to where the Lost Battalion bled to Chatel-Chéhéry where Alvin York started his advance to Montfaucon and Romagne where the Americans clawed for yards day after day, to the Heights of the Meuse from where German guns ruthlessly pounded the Americans. The monuments and cemeteries were inhabited only by the ghosts.

In many ways, America came of age in the Meuse-Argonne, but today those who fought in that epic battle are not just forgotten–they have never even been known by most Americans. So please, take a moment in these October days to remember, and pay tribute to, men who do not deserve the oblivion to which an easily distracted nation has consigned them.........”

rcsa
13th Oct 2018, 08:47
” The monuments are truly epic in scale–the US erected nothing comparable in the aftermath of WWII. The cemeteries are immense–Romagne is larger than the cemetery at Omaha Beach.

Very good alert - thank you.

It's worth noting that there were more casualties (on all sides) on the last day of WW1,11th Nov 1918, than there were on all sides on D-Day, 6th June 1944.

The last Americans casualties were caused by a bizarre decision of General Wright of the 89th Div on 11th November. Despite knowing the Armistice would come into effect at 1100, he decided to assault the town of Stenay at dawn, so that his soldiers could use the public baths there. That cost 300 men. The last British soldier to die was 40 year old Private Ellison of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, a regular soldier whose service number suggests he enlisted well before 1914, and in fact may have fought in the Boer War. He survived 4 years of the Western Front, but was killed at 0930 on 11 November, near Mons, where he had fought during the retreat in 1914.

This info from an informative BBC article on the 90th anniversary, in 2008. BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | The last soldiers to die in World War I (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7696021.stm)

Lest we forget....

FantomZorbin
13th Oct 2018, 18:16
As an aside to the above, may I suggest a visit to www.cwgc.org to search for any graves in your area, you might be surprised - I was.