PDA

View Full Version : Fake news before itís time? Or something else?

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 11:13
Everything these days is debatable, or so it seems.
Whatever happened to...Alan Godfrey.
Here’s Frank Bough and is that a young David Icke?

https://youtu.be/jiHzys7uXHU

DaveReidUK
12th Oct 2018, 15:43
Fake news before it's time for what ?

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 15:59

What do you mean Ďfor whatí?

gruntie
12th Oct 2018, 16:04
“...it’s...” is an abbreviation of “it is” (or “it has”).

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 16:07
ď...itís...Ē is an abbreviation of ďit isĒ (or ďit hasĒ).

Thanks grunty

The grammar police eh. Pathetic. :ugh:

SpringHeeledJack
12th Oct 2018, 16:14
Yes David Icke. I wonder if this was the trigger for him becoming an alternative personality ? Frank Bough, everyone's dad or grandad, I still can't get over the revelations that he attended (but didn't take part) cocaine and partner swapping parties in London ;-) As to the copper in the film, he seems very plausible. I wonder what he says today ? Anyone who wears a mullet isn't worried about what others will think of them!

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 17:12
Yes David Icke. I wonder if this was the trigger for him becoming an alternative personality ? Frank Bough, everyone's dad or grandad, I still can't get over the revelations that he attended (but didn't take part) cocaine and partner swapping parties in London ;-) As to the copper in the film, he seems very plausible. I wonder what he says today ? Anyone who wears a mullet isn't worried about what others will think of them!

My guess is that he would say exactly the same thing now as he did then.

Yes, the looks are quite strange. :eek:

Krystal n chips
12th Oct 2018, 17:38
I'm inclined to believe the police officer and his encounter with some form of unknown flying object.

When officialdom , across the globe, starts making strenuous denials to negate such sightings, and lets be fair, there have been many well documented and recorded sightings which can't be explained by what we assume to know is flying around, this means "funny stuff " that doesn't officially exist, but does, or cloud formations....I've seen a few "mother ships " over the years, certainly over N.Yorks and Scotland, but there again given the years I spent gliding, lenticulars always attracted, still do in fact, my attention .

I've seen one object I couldn't identify, posted on here about it ,which was a glowing red object, constant speed, heading then a turn through about 90degs....the Chinese Lantern was the obvious explanation except for the fact the speed, height were constant and the subsequent change of heading. No strobes, no position or nav lights, just a red light overall.

It's easy to be dismissive about any sightings, same as with the para-normal, but there are experiences that cannot be simply dismissed or ridiculed as the easy option when evidence is provided that does not conform to our expectations.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/06/documents-reveal-how-mod-played-down-ufo-thesis-in-x-files-study

Possibly 20 years of Flight Testing may reveal other encounters.....such is the plethora of coincidences....although when the perfect opportunity to itemise types flown in and on arose on here, there was a deafening silence..... so maybe not

gruntie
12th Oct 2018, 17:58
The grammar police eh. Pathetic.

No, it’s not pathetic: neither is it grammar. It’s a spelling mistake. We all know that languages change over time, but only due to need or necessity. There are enough problems caused by errant spellcheckers without humans adding to them.

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 18:09
No, itís not pathetic: neither is it grammar. Itís a spelling mistake. We all know that languages change over time, but only due to need or necessity. There are enough problems caused by errant spellcheckers without humans adding to them.

Actually it IS grammar or punctuation, definitely not a spelling mistake. This isnít an English class, and thankfully you are not the teacher.

pulse1
12th Oct 2018, 18:52
A rather more scientific approach to alien life can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64Wz_RBp2s

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 19:26
A rather more scientific approach to alien life can be seen here:

Perhaps so. Although it doesnít help to explain what happened to Alan Godfrey that night. I donít think Science can swerve such questions for ever. Itís probably very complex, but Iím with K&C.

My old boss recently surprised me, he is not a particularly jovial chap. I happened to mention my interest in such things and he said that heíd seen a ufo more than once, and told me about his experiences. Iíve had other pilots say the same thing, although personally, Iíve not seen anything I can recall as unusual.

Trossie
12th Oct 2018, 19:39
Thanks grunty

If you don't say what you mean accurately, then people won't know what you really mean.

Or did you mean "Fake news before it is time?"

TEEEJ
12th Oct 2018, 22:16
Whatever happened to...Alan Godfrey.

From 2017

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/17/ex-policeman-still-says-he-was-abducted-by-aliens-after-37-years-7006445/

Stan Woolley
12th Oct 2018, 22:44
From 2017

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/17/ex-policeman-still-says-he-was-abducted-by-aliens-after-37-years-7006445/

Thanks for that Teej.

I think heís an honest man that had a strange experience. Good for him sticking to his guns in spite of the cost to his career. Itís sad but no surprise that people donít know how to deal with this type of thing, why does it appear to be so difficult for others to accept? This is exactly why people frequently keep things to themselves for decades, never discussing it with anyone at all.

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2018, 00:03
Haven't we always had fun picking up on each other's grammar? Let's not spoil the sport.

KelvinD
13th Oct 2018, 08:31
The thing most people lose sight of when discussing these things is right there in the names used "Unidentified Flying Objects". For me, that describes perfectly what one is seeing and carries no references to aliens, levitating lizards or whatever. Once we accept that, we can devote more time to the grammar, spelling, syntax, type sizes etc!

Stan Woolley
13th Oct 2018, 09:01
The thing most people lose sight of when discussing these things is right there in the names used "Unidentified Flying Objects". For me, that describes perfectly what one is seeing and carries no references to aliens, levitating lizards or whatever. Once we accept that, we can devote more time to the grammar, spelling, syntax, type sizes etc!

This one wasn’t actually flying at the time of the sighting, so if we’re being pedantic we might call it an ‘unidentified object’. My theory is that some of us just display a sort of unconscious cognitive dissonance when such topics appear, and attempt to deflect from them rather than engage in discussion.

There are many events such as this one. Credible people reporting incredible events. Are we to simply act like chimps covering our eyes and ears and screeching loudly? It appears that this is the preferable choice for some rather than really challenging OURSELVES and questioning rather than attempting to keep things normal by shutting anything we don’t like out of our simplistic worldview.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2018, 09:11
Thanks grunty

Don't you mean apathetic?

Stan Woolley
13th Oct 2018, 10:28

Possibly so in one way, though they seem to care very deeply about the grammar.

I would argue that there’s a time for wearing your best suit and presenting your best, and there’s a time for slobbing around in your pyjamas at home. The forum lies somewhere between those two imo. ��

Now PLEASE can we get back to discussing Alan ? :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
13th Oct 2018, 10:45
Don't you mean Alian ? ;-)

Trossie
13th Oct 2018, 12:06
Don't you mean Alian ? ;-)
Poor spelling again, shouldn't that have been 'Alien'?

The ancient Greek Stoic philosophers felt that you could not say what you mean correctly if you did not say it accurately. The Romans took on much of the Stoic philosophy and that is why Latin is such a precise language. If you are not exact with what you say then how do others know what you mean? If your grammar, spelling and punctuation are not exact then don't expect people to know what "you are on about"! By all means use 'pyjama language', but then expect the responses to go off at several tangents!!

Back to Alan. Funny old thing that UFO and 'alien' sightings always fit in with much of the technology and science fiction of the time. What evidence is there that there were any such sightings in Victorian times, especially before H.G.Wells wrote "The War of the Worlds" (which again had that 'local-ism' bit with the action all happening near where Wells lived in Surrey!). Going back even further, there were astronomical sightings that were unexplained (at the time) going right back to Ancient times, but the only evidence of Aliens in Ancient times was when they fortuitously saved Brian from his fall from the tower when he was being chased by the Romans ("You lucky bastard" I think was the comment from a bystander at the time, or should that have been "te felix bastardis"?).

SpringHeeledJack
13th Oct 2018, 12:23
In this case, it was porpoise-ly written as Alian, not Alien, as a nod towards Alan the (ex) policeman.

Funny old thing that UFO and 'alien' sightings always fit in with much of the technology and science fiction of the time. What evidence is there that there were any such sightings in Victorian times, especially before H.G.Wells wrote "The War of the Worlds" (which again had that 'local-ism' bit with the action all happening near where Wells lived in Surrey!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg

Trossie
13th Oct 2018, 16:12
Sounds like a good party the night before! I've also had a few 'mornings after the night before' that have caused the vision to be a bit strange, especially if I had tried to look straight at a bright light (like the rising sun!). A good gathering of those party-goers 'comparing notes' could come up with a good story for the day's equivalent of a tabloid!

Stan Woolley
13th Oct 2018, 16:38
Poor spelling again, shouldn't that have been 'Alien'?

By all means use 'pyjama language', but then expect the responses to go off at several tangents!!

Back to Alan. .

The irony after all that talk about everything but Alan, is that youíve never actually discussed him or the original video. :D

That poor grammar sure does appear to mess everything up! :ok:

VP959
13th Oct 2018, 16:47
The problem with UFO sightings seems to be that the majority can be explained as things like natural phenomena (sprites and the like), the unusual appearance of man-made objects, like weather balloons, plus a significant number of deliberate hoaxes. That makes it really challenging to sift out the wholly unexplained stuff from all the crap. It also tends to make sceptics think that all UFO stories are fake as well, as there are just far too many of the tinfoil hat brigade out there promulgating stuff that's untrue or fake.

The warning signs for fakery for me are the stories where there is a great deal of detail. Anyone who's heard witnesses give evidence will have noticed that people are generally pretty poor at remembering detail; half a dozen witnesses to the same incident may well remember what happened in very general terms, but it's pretty rare for them to agree on the precise detail. On the other hand, it seems that our minds can often recall the precise detail of things like dreams, which leads me to suspect that the more detail given in a story the more likely it is that the person hasn't really observed what they think they have. Imagination can be very powerful, and often subconscious, it seems, as can recall of events that never occurred (as in the case of those using "repressed memory" techniques to uncover childhood abuse that never happened).

Having said that, there are a fair few accounts of unusual sightings, that can't be easily explained, from people who would have little or no reason to make something up, or who are unlikely to have imagined it. I'm not inclined to the view that these unexplained object sightings are aliens from another planet, as there is no evidence to show this. I do believe that our knowledge is far from complete though, and that's borne out by the way we continue to discover really unusual things about our planet and the space around it.

Stan Woolley
13th Oct 2018, 18:05
The problem with UFO sightings seems to be that the majority can be explained as things like natural phenomena (sprites and the like), the unusual appearance of man-made objects, like weather balloons, plus a significant number of deliberate hoaxes. That makes it really challenging to sift out the wholly unexplained stuff from all the crap. It also tends to make sceptics think that all UFO stories are fake as well, as there are just far too many of the tinfoil hat brigade out there promulgating stuff that's untrue or fake.

The warning signs for fakery for me are the stories where there is a great deal of detail. Anyone who's heard witnesses give evidence will have noticed that people are generally pretty poor at remembering detail; half a dozen witnesses to the same incident may well remember what happened in very general terms, but it's pretty rare for them to agree on the precise detail. On the other hand, it seems that our minds can often recall the precise detail of things like dreams, which leads me to suspect that the more detail given in a story the more likely it is that the person hasn't really observed what they think they have. Imagination can be very powerful, and often subconscious, it seems, as can recall of events that never occurred (as in the case of those using "repressed memory" techniques to uncover childhood abuse that never happened).

Having said that, there are a fair few accounts of unusual sightings, that can't be easily explained, from people who would have little or no reason to make something up, or who are unlikely to have imagined it. I'm not inclined to the view that these unexplained object sightings are aliens from another planet, as there is no evidence to show this. I do believe that our knowledge is far from complete though, and that's borne out by the way we continue to discover really unusual things about our planet and the space around it.

It is certainly an interesting and complicated phenomenon, whatever itís about, but I think thereís just an overwhelming number of quality cases that must be answered sooner or later. Cases like the one this thread invites us to ponder. Did this down to earth policeman have a one off hallucination? There was also the very unusual case of the body being found with unusual burns in the area a few months before this, with Alan being one of the two police sent to investigate.

Is it nuts and bolts technology, or is it more about different states of consciousness, or as many suspect just the human brain playing tricks? I tend to favour the middle option, but all three and more might be involved.

As for detail in memoryís. All you say might be correct, but such events as these are often mind blowing for those involved, with everything being seared into peopleís memory. Most people can remember details of 9/11, where they were when they heard about it and details they would never usually remember. I suspect that this has the same effect but on steroids.

VP, you too have not actually addressed what might actually have happened to Alan Godfrey. Do you have some thoughts about this case? What are some of the options?

There are many interesting videos involving credible witnesses. Such as this one:

https://youtu.be/EzWRB_zAcCw

KelvinD
13th Oct 2018, 19:44
Stan: My post was intended to be somewhat sympathetic towards your views and i didn't want to join the rush to condemn. I was also being a little sympathetic toward you in terms of the grammar/spelling/syntax police having a go at you, rather than at the issue you raised. However, as you have misunderstood or misread my post and accused me of being pedantic, here's some pedantry for you: You say the object can not be a UFO as it was not flying. What does hovering 5 feet above the ground imply? When a Harrier jet slows to a stop 50 ft above the ground, is it no longer flying?
In the case of the plod, I would suggest a possible explanation could be hallucination. Been there, experienced that and it took colleagues some time to convince me that the person I was watching was not actually there. To me, he was perfectly clear and about 40 yards away.

VP959
13th Oct 2018, 20:10
VP, you too have not actually addressed what might actually have happened to Alan Godfrey. Do you have some thoughts about this case? What are some of the options?

I think it's really hard to reach a firm conclusion based on just his evidence. Some of his story seems to match reports by others, and that could either be that he's really experienced the same thing, or that he's subconsciously overlaid things he had read, or heard about, over an experience he had that he couldn't explain.

As to what options we have when trying to interpret his account, then the simple answer is that I've no idea. I'm going to sit on the fence, for a few reasons, but the main one is that experiences and reports like his seem to have pretty much stopped as soon as many people started carrying around 'phones with video cameras. It seems that nothing much can happen in the world today without it being captured on someone's 'phone. Given that, it seems odd that we aren't inundated with hard video evidence of UFOs.

Stan Woolley
13th Oct 2018, 20:13
Stan: My post was intended to be somewhat sympathetic towards your views and i didn't want to join the rush to condemn. I was also being a little sympathetic toward you in terms of the grammar/spelling/syntax police having a go at you, rather than at the issue you raised. However, as you have misunderstood or misread my post and accused me of being pedantic, here's some pedantry for you: You say the object can not be a UFO as it was not flying. What does hovering 5 feet above the ground imply? When a Harrier jet slows to a stop 50 ft above the ground, is it no longer flying?
In the case of the plod, I would suggest a possible explanation could be hallucination. Been there, experienced that and it took colleagues some time to convince me that the person I was watching was not actually there. To me, he was perfectly clear and about 40 yards away.

Whoa there boy. :ooh: I wasn’t saying that you were being particularly pedantic, just that pedantary seems to be the order of the day. I was definitely wrong when I called the object an ‘unidentified object’, as I thought it was sitting on the ground when it was observed. I’m sorry, I was wrong.

Where I would still disagree with you is the thought that PC Godfrey was hallucinating. It’s one thing to think you have seen a man 40yards away, but quite another an unusual object hovering in front of you blocking the road, especially when the reporter is a serving police officer on duty at the time.

Stan Woolley
14th Oct 2018, 05:47
I think it's really hard to reach a firm conclusion based on just his evidence. Some of his story seems to match reports by others, and that could either be that he's really experienced the same thing, or that he's subconsciously overlaid things he had read, or heard about, over an experience he had that he couldn't explain.

As to what options we have when trying to interpret his account, then the simple answer is that I've no idea. I'm going to sit on the fence, for a few reasons, but the main one is that experiences and reports like his seem to have pretty much stopped as soon as many people started carrying around 'phones with video cameras. It seems that nothing much can happen in the world today without it being captured on someone's 'phone. Given that, it seems odd that we aren't inundated with hard video evidence of UFOs.

Wouldnít it be logical to think that any beings with the advanced technology frequently on show might be well aware of human technology such as mobile phones with cameras that (by now) are carried by almost everyone? Maybe they have consequently modified their behaviour. There are loads of possibilities. I just find it difficult to understand how an ordinary copper could make up such a story, what could possibly be gained? There is surely much to be potentially lost? Sure, if he had a poor record or was known by colleagues as rather odd or it came out that he had a history of mental problems or alcohol abuse or some other ailment.

Stan Woolley
14th Oct 2018, 06:01

Wouldn’t it be logical to think that any beings with the advanced technology frequently on show might be well aware of human technology such as mobile phones with cameras that (by now) are carried by almost everyone? Maybe they have consequently modified their behaviour. There are loads of possibilities. I just find it difficult to understand how an ordinary copper could make up such a story, what could possibly be gained? There is surely much to be potentially lost? Sure, if he had a poor record or was known by colleagues as rather odd or it came out that he had a history of mental problems or alcohol abuse or some other ailment.

Sitting on the fence is fair enough, I would say that I’m also on the fence but I think the difference between us is maybe this. I think I could fall either way and not have my worldview shattered, can you say the same? Maybe I’m simply fooling myself, I don’t know. I will confess to wishing that people were more open to supposedly ‘weird’ things happening, maybe that bias is distorting my own thinking?

mickjoebill
14th Oct 2018, 23:40

The documentary does not lie, misconstrue or overstate the reports from the witness, so it is not fake news.

Without video or physical evidence you can always suggest that such eyewitnesses themselves are faking the story.

Having shot all the interviews and reconstructions of the incident it was clear
the policeman was not faking ďan experienceĒ. In the view of the production team he believed in his recollection of the story.

I come to this view as he was under so much scrutiny, the production team would spend days with contributors conducting research.

In the field we would spend a few days with contributors, often seeing them in their own homes as well as dining with them. It is a very demanding environment to live a lie and get away with it.
In preparation for reconstructions my goal was to illustrate as best we could within the budget, what the witness actually saw.

There wasnít much to recreate in the same location with the abduction story.

But not so with Rendlesham Airbase incident.
When you begin to physically recreate a scene in the same location as it supposedly happened the deceit needs to be highly detailed and sophisticated for all the moving parts to mesh. This is certainly true at night when using lights to recreate an aerial effect. The interaction of light on surfaces, the distances from which it can be seen from a particular height ect is complex.

So whilst it is clear there was an ďobjectĒ in Rendlesham there is no physical evidence of the abduction.

As an aside I found it interesting that when we (attempted) to recreate ďlights in the skyĒ, there were never any calls to local police or talkback radio from members of the public.
Destipe illuminating balloons with UV or mounting computer controlled effects lights in elevated cherry pickers. These days we would simply use drones:), but the audience would also assume the eyewitness saw a drone!

I shot another series in South America. Plenty of uneducated folk who believe in both extraterrestrials and god, in that part of the world, none the less an interview with a former air force pilot and at the time, a serving 747 pilot was compelling.

Another aside, the number of unsolved mysterious lights on the sky has reduced with the prolific growth of airborne stabilised cameras.

Similarly the incidents of extraordinary radar returns has apparently reduced with the introduction of stealth technology.

mjb

15th Oct 2018, 01:29
Wouldnít it be logical to think that any beings with the advanced technology frequently on show might be well aware of human technology such as mobile phones with cameras that (by now) are carried by almost everyone? Maybe they have consequently modified their behaviour.?

Which brings me on to subjects such as the Loch Ness monster and the Yeti/bigfoot/Sasquatch.
With the amount of reported sightings of these in the past and with the fact that so many people now carry mobile phones with image and video technology that allows for extremely high quality recordings to be made, I wonder why there isn't a single good quality record of any of these.

seafire6b
15th Oct 2018, 03:31

Not pathetic, but wholly valid. The words "it's" and "its" have entirely different meanings. If readers seek clarification between what you've written and what you actually meant, it's not their fault.

De_flieger
15th Oct 2018, 03:47
Well, if he commented, it probably doesnít count as apathetic, even if he views it as...eh, pathetic :ok:

If I was in fact an Alien, inside a human, I would have to be very discrete about it. Right? https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif
That would be a quite distinct state, discrete from most people, about which it would probably be wise to be discreet!

sitigeltfel
15th Oct 2018, 07:39
The joys of sitting in the Ops room at Bawtry at night and commcen patch through a phone call from someone wanting to report a UFO. (Their first call would have been to the police but they kindly give the caller our number).

As you pull out the questionnaire form to fill in you remember it is a Friday or Saturday night after pub closing time.

Stan Woolley
15th Oct 2018, 12:26
Not pathetic, but wholly valid. The words "it's" and "its" have entirely different meanings. If readers seek clarification between what you've written and what you actually meant, it's not their fault.

Seafire I might agree with what you’re saying if it wasn’t rather obvious that what I had written was a simple mistake. If I’d used ‘it’s’ instead of ‘its’ consciously the sentence doesn’t really make sense. So rather that simply seeing it as a simple mistake and moving on, they simply had to comment on it, rather than on the video. It’s all about INTENT.

I make mistakes. And here the breaking news - so does everyone else!

My real mistake was in my sloppy matching of a title for the thread to the video. For that I hold my hands up and say to myself - ‘I must do better!’ :ok:

Trossie
15th Oct 2018, 12:39
A recent example from another JB Thread of how a simple inclusion or exclusion of a punctuation mark can entirely change a meaning:I took the wife to the Doctors today because she desperately needs to lose some weight.

The Doctor said to her "Don't eat anything fatty"

She said "What, you mean like sausages and bacon and stuff?"

He said "No. Don't eat anything, fatty"

(I thought we'd add some humour!)

Stan Woolley
15th Oct 2018, 13:47

LOL, that is quite funny. :D

seafire6b
15th Oct 2018, 15:38
A recent example from another JB Thread of how a simple inclusion or exclusion of a punctuation mark can entirely change a meaning:

I took the wife to the Doctors today because she desperately needs to lose some weight.
The Doctor said to her "Don't eat anything fatty"
She said "What, you mean like sausages and bacon and stuff?"
He said "No. Don't eat anything, fatty."

Excellent Trossie, thanks for that - very funny, and point made. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

DaveReidUK
15th Oct 2018, 16:48
A recent example from another JB Thread of how a simple inclusion or exclusion of a punctuation mark can entirely change a meaning

Not forgetting the famous American example, regarding the difference between

a business that knows its shit, and

a business that knows it's shit

:O