PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 7

wiggy
11th Oct 2018, 06:29
50 years ago today the final stages of the push to the Moon began.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_7

Jhieminga
11th Oct 2018, 14:15
Taken just last Saturday:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1969/45173005992_483a969849_c.jpg

I did notice a '50 years' banner on the outside of the museum but did not realise that this anniversary was actually this month.

Kiwithrottlejockey
11th Oct 2018, 23:43
Apollo 8 was probably the most daring mission (50 years ago this coming Christmas).

Not only did they push for the moon, but they actually went into moon orbit without the safety net of a lunar module with its back-up engine they could use in case of trouble.

That lunar module sure came in handy with Apollo 13.

BVRAAM
11th Oct 2018, 23:50
One of the most fascinating pieces of modern history, IMHO.

wiggy
12th Oct 2018, 06:18
Apollo 8 was probably the most daring mission (50 years ago this coming Christmas).

Very much agree, always had that as the ballsiest decision ever made in the history of manned space flight..Of course those were the days where brave people weren’t afraid to take brave decisions, though apparently it was a very tough decision to sell politically...

I vaguely recall Frank Borman (Apollo 8 commander) being asked on TV during the crisis on ‘13 what would have happened if the accident had happened in 8...I think his reply was “we’d be dead”

NineEighteen
13th Oct 2018, 10:54

Not only did they push for the moon, but they actually went into moon orbit without the safety net of a lunar module with its back-up engine they could use in case of trouble.

Agreed. Although there is a high degree of bravery throughout the manned (crewed?) spaceflight business to this very day; I think those crews and particularly the commanders, that did it first are not to be underestimated.

Alan Shepard, Frank Borman and Neil Armstrong on the US side are those that will always have my highest respect.

Kiwithrottlejockey
14th Oct 2018, 02:18
About a month ago, I read a fascinating book — “ROCKET MEN: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon” by Robert Kurson — written to commemorate 50 years since Apollo 8 and published earlier this year. Amazingly, all three of the Apollo 8 astronauts and their wives are still alive, although Frank Borman's wife is suffering from alzheimer's. And even more amazing, two of the astronauts still hold current PPLs.

I was 14 years old (six weeks short of my 15th birthday) when the Apollo 8 mission was launched and I can still vividly remember it. I grew up as a kid following the manned spaceflight missions (I can still remember the first cosmonaut to launch into space) and the Apollo 8 mission was the one which really got everybody's attention. When the mission was publicly announced, only a few short months before it happened, my high school physics teacher devoted an entire lesson to the actual physics of how it was most likely going to happen, including the way the moon's gravity could be used to slingshot the space capsule back towards earth if for some reason they didn't carry out a rocket burn to put themselves into moon orbit. The following year, the same physics teacher devoted another entire lesson to the mission, now that it was common knowlege about the actual details of how they did it. And although most of the moon orbits occured on Christmas Eve, in New Zealand it was Christmas Day and I can still clearly remember the strange feeling of wonderment at the fact that as we were sitting down to our Christmas Dinner, humans were way out there in space orbiting the moon. While the Apollo 11 mission several months later was a huge event it was Apollo 8 which really pushed the boundaries. In Robert Kurson's book, he writes about how the astronauts admitted to him during interviews while researching the book that they knew there was a possibility of not coming back if anything went wrong with the rocket engine, even though they put it to the back of their minds at the time.

stilton
26th Oct 2018, 04:59
‘Apollo Pilot’ is well worth a read