PDA

View Full Version : MEP - 6 Month Training Window

Okavango
10th Oct 2018, 16:03
Due to very unfortunate circumstances I'm at risk of going beyond the 6 month rule for taking my MEP test within 6 months of starting training. My school went out of business in the middle of my later MEIR sim instruction and so far finding a reliable alternative to complete training has been difficult. I may have to shelve things and go on a waiting list meaning further delays. I will eventually have 15+ more MEP hours within the flight instruction for the MEIR and always intended to take the MEP test toward the end of that flight training phase. It seems odd that this is the only rating with a timing window and all others seem to have the discretion of the FTO when re-commencing training. Please can anyone advise if there is likely to be any fundamental problem of effectively cross crediting the ME hours from the IR instruction if this is needed. It would seem a little jobsworthy if so as all the EFATO actions are shared though I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks.

rudestuff
10th Oct 2018, 16:24
Do you really want an MEP rating? They're bloody expensive to rent...

Okavango
10th Oct 2018, 17:15
Do you really want an MEP rating? They're bloody expensive to rent...

Thanks. Very few schools or instructors have understanding of if the MEIR is viable with only MEP training. That said, it's also expensive training to lose credits for and I may use it at some stage so the question remains of how to ensure I don't lose it with the MEIR flight instruction to come at some stage in the near future.

Whopity
10th Oct 2018, 18:23
The MEP course and the IR are two entirely seperare courses. It takes less than a week to complete the MEP Course and take the test, so the 6 month window should not present any probledms. You cannot cross credit time from one course to the other. As there are no sims suitable for the MEP course you will need to get on and do it in an aeroplane. Whilst the MEP rating may not be very useful in the long run, you will need to do the training to complete the MEIR so you might as well do the MEP test, waiting until the end of the MEIR course is leaving it too late.

Okavango
10th Oct 2018, 19:28
The MEP course and the IR are two entirely seperare courses. It takes less than a week to complete the MEP Course and take the test, so the 6 month window should not present any probledms. You cannot cross credit time from one course to the other. As there are no sims suitable for the MEP course you will need to get on and do it in an aeroplane. Whilst the MEP rating may not be very useful in the long run, you will need to do the training to complete the MEIR so you might as well do the MEP test, waiting until the end of the MEIR course is leaving it too late.

Thanks - I understand and as above, the course has already been completed and most of the IR sim with IR flight training to come. With nowhere to go it then becomes a problem. That's where I am.

Whopity
10th Oct 2018, 19:48
Then presumably all you need is a test aircraft and examiner!

S-Works
11th Oct 2018, 07:16
I can provide you with an aircraft and a test. ��

Whopity
15th Oct 2018, 08:42
Big problem; Solution; Silence!!

Donatelo
26th Oct 2018, 16:39
Hi

where is it written that skill test has to be taken within 6 months from the *beginning* of the training?

BEagle
27th Oct 2018, 10:42
Donatelo , FCL.725 Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings states as follows:

(c) Skill test. An applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of the applicable class or type of aircraft.

The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement of the class or type rating training course and within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issue of the class or type rating.

Whopity
27th Oct 2018, 16:09
Something that came from JAR-FCL with no apparent reason.

tescoapp
27th Oct 2018, 16:42
when I went through at the beginning of JAR there was a bit of fiddle with when to do the training and also the test to get minimum required hours.

A couple of schools were allowing you to do the training before starting the multi IR during hour building and being none to fussy where you had done it as long as it was logged, and then giving you a MEP test cert during 170a because the items were all covered to allow you to do the IR rating test. Then you got a fresh MEP rating after you had done the CPL test in a multi.

It actually made doing the multi IR first followed by multi CPL cheaper than doing the single CPL followed by Multi IR. The MEP could be done at some unlicensed red neck airport in the US saving a heap of landing and approach fees on some crappy N reg.

You ended up with fresh MEP on a CPL rating when you got it through the post. I was 20 months between my first flight in a twin and rating issue.

The CAA wasn't happy with it, and were reluctant to say the training profile which had been done on the back of it was illegal due to it would make the person have to redo the MEP course which would then mean the IR would have to be done again and the Cpl course would also be short of hours and there was nothing to say you couldn't. About 12 months after I got my tickets they changed the rules to prevent it. Also we logged all the time including taxi towards the IR course, which they stopped as well. Saved me over 10 hours and also taking a separate MEP skills test, the rating issue fee and all the other savings. I haven't got the numbers these days but I suspect it was in the region of 2-3 k pounds saved.

if anyone is getting upset its a bit late now I have been flying for years on an ATPL and have 3 type ratings under my belt and over 9 k hours.

Donatelo
9th Nov 2018, 19:22
I am not the regulator but I believe that the 6 months count from the date the training has been finished... but this is only my interpetation

Whopity
9th Nov 2018, 19:58
The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement
How do you interpret commencement as "finnished"?