PDA

View Full Version : [US] Currently a PPL, decided I want to go for a flying career. How should I proceed?

TurboCompound
8th Oct 2018, 21:00
Hey guys,

I'm a 20 year old University student in the United States who got his PPL about five months ago, and I just decided that I want to become an airline pilot. I'm thinking at the moment that I should get my CPL and then join a part 135 operator such as Ameriflight to build time towards my ATP. The issue is that there are a lot of options and a lot of information out there, and I really do not know the best way to get from PPL to CPL. What also complicates things is that I have a year and a half of University left, so I have a lot of questions about how to proceed.

1. Should I finish school?
2. If yes, what should I be doing while still at school to work towards the CPL? Where should I aim to be at by the time I grafuate? What should I do after I graduate?
3. If no, should I enroll in a dedicated commercial aviation program such as Epic or ATP?
​​4. Should I invest in a basic two place airplane to train with? Would that lower my costs on the long run?

I'm really lost with all this, and especially with the rapidly growing pilot shortage I would love to have as much up-to-date information as possible so I can find the right path from PPL to CPL.

Thanks

rudestuff
9th Oct 2018, 07:40
Finish university, you'll need a degree if you want to get into the US majors. If you can afford it, buy a cheap plane to hour build and do that while at Uni.
Get one you can do your IR in - then find someone else who is hour building and get them to pay the fuel in return for logging safely pilot time while you're flying under the hood. Win-win. Pay a CFi for 15-20 hours in your plane for your IR and some of the commercial training, which only leaves 10 hours complex to worry about. Then sell or keep the plane. Super cheap if nothing goes wrong with the it.

340drvr
9th Oct 2018, 13:59
I'd have to agree with rudestuff's basic assessment.
Absolutely, finish the university degree. As mentioned, most US airlines require a college degree, and, it's always a good plan to have some education/skills outside of aviation in case things don't work out, furloughs, layoffs, etc. Yes, right now, there's a pilot shortage, but, just wait, that'll change. Or, as a pro pilot, you're always just one bad medical issue away from not being able to fly.
In the US/FAA realm anyway, the typical path for pilots is usually PPL, then Instrument Rating, CPL, then CFI. As an instructor, that's where most folks build their time towards professional flying. It's a goofy system, as the youngest, newest pilots are the instructors, but that's the way the rules are written, instructing is one of the first things you can do to get paid (though maybe not very much) for flying. At least someone else is paying for the airplane time. By the way, you may already know, but Part 135 such as Ameriflight, by regulation, require 1200 hours minimum for PIC's. For a VFR-only 135 pilot, it's 500 hours, but realistically, there aren't very many VFR-only 135 jobs.
So, what to work on while finishing school? IR would be the next logical step. However, it's a lot of knowledge-study, as well as the flight training, that may be hard to devote proper focus towards while taking university classes. Everyone's different, but I just recall finishing my degree, with a full load of serious courses, I barely had time to crap (it all worked out, couldn't afford much food, either!), let alone delve into intense extra-curricular activities. IR is perhaps best accomplished with a minimum of two lessons a week, more, 3 or 4 a week, is even better, for most efficient and cost effective training. Not saying it can't be done otherwise, just a suggestion to realistically consider your personal situation and capabilities.
Owning your own plane for training can be a great way to reduce costs, but, that has the potential to cost more than renting, as well, if, say, some unforeseen large expenses crop up, maybe an engine failure, or other major repairs. Not that likely with a basic airplane (152, 172, whatever), but, things happen. As rudestuff put it, "Super cheap if nothing goes wrong.."
What to do, then, while finishing uni-? Instrument rating, yes, if you can spare the time/energy/brain width, etc. One option, actually, might be, to work towards the commercial certificate first, while in school, the studying and flight training, are, perhaps less intense than IR. A CPL without instrument rating is very limited, 50nm radius, daytime only, not very practical except for, maybe, cropdusters. But, that limitation is removed once your IR is obtained. Whether you own a plane, or not, you can certainly point towards logging the basic required experience (cross country solo, night hours, total time, etc.) listed in Part 61 for both IR and CPL, whenever you get to go fly.
Lots of choices, you pick what might work best for you. If you have a local favorite flight school/instructor, sit down with them and discuss possible plans in detail.
Good luck, have fun!
(Disclaimer, internet advice only, worth exactly what you paid for it!)