PDA

View Full Version : BGS - Optional extras

LBAflyer22
8th Oct 2018, 18:34
Hi All,

I'm sorry if this has previously been discussed; however i am unable to find it.

I am shortly going to be ordering the ATPL(a) course with Bristol Ground School however as with everything in life there are extras and i'm just wondering if you could assist with my choice/forming my opinion.

1) Are the manuals, at £500, worth it? I understand that most of the learning can be done online though the CBT however i'm sure that at some stages during the learning i'm going to want to learn from a book over manuals. Is it worth buying the manuals?

2) The study kit. Worth the money or could you get it cheaper elsewhere as whole package? It's just convenient having what i need there when i need it.

Thanks all.

GeorgEGNT
8th Oct 2018, 20:13
I haven't purchased the paper manuals although I do have some 10 yr old mod 1 manuals that somebody gave me that I do occasionally use. But only occasionally.
I find the iPad to be just as good if not better than using paper manuals.

Only complaint I have is that revising in the sun is difficult due glare!

I bought the pack. You probably could get it all cheaper but I thought the premium was worth paying for the convenience.

PelicanSquawk
9th Oct 2018, 11:46
I didn't buy the books, and am glad. I have it all on the IPAD, which is fine. I did buy Phil Croucher's ATPL book, which I find very handy if I want to "revisit something", or get another take/more detail on a specific area. It's a very handy size also, and I can imagine a great reference for the future interview, or when you need to remind yourself of something.

As for the study pack, I don't think you'll get it cheaper else where really, or if you do, it might only be a few quid.

Banana Joe
9th Oct 2018, 14:55
At first I was regretting not having books so much that not only I bought Phil Croucher's ATPL book, I also asked him to send over a hard copy. Excellent printing quality, but the truth is that I ended up studying on my laptop and iPad with Bristol, Phil's book and other material. At the airline I work now there's nothing printed. They gave me an iPad with a synchronized cloud solution and all the manuals are in electronic format.