PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 driving me mad!

KelvinD
8th Oct 2018, 14:45
I have had Win 7 installed on my PC and a lap top for some time. I don't believe in replacing something as long as it works for me, thus anticipating "update it" responses.
As I said, I have had no bother for a few years until about a month ago when I plugged my usual card reader in to upload my latest photos. I got one of those annoying 'alert' sounds and was asked why I don't plug the device into a USB 2 port. Well, I had plugged it into a USB 2 port! Even Win 7 thought I had the day before when I plugged the same card reader into the same port.
I have just spent some time looking at the device manager info and found a couple of anomalies such as:
Ethernet Controller..Fixed by uploading new driver.
SMBus Controller.. Apparently fixed via new driver but doesn't want to appear in Device Manager last at the moment.
Looking at the USB Root Hubs, I see the drivers are from Microsoft from 2006. I have attempted to replace these with 2013 version drivers from ASUS (motherboard manf). Device Manager insists I have the latest and greatest and refuses to have anything to do anything I offer up.
It gets worse when I plug in my shiny new Samsung phone. Not only does the PC fail to deal with the phone but the Device Manager says:
MTP USB Device; This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Below that is "SAMSUNG USB Composite Device" and this is reported as working properly.
Any theories out there please?
Kelvin

TowerDog
8th Oct 2018, 15:05
Sorry, no theories but I had similar problems with Windows 7 and previous versions.
Finally ditched the PC, windows and everything then walked into an Applestore and bought the biggest iMac they had.
Took a while to learn the a new way of doing things, but now I am less frustrated and my blood pressure is back to normal.
The iMac is one sleek sophisticated machine, try it, you may like it. :cool:

gemma10
9th Oct 2018, 10:55
I learnt a while ago that on WIN7 it`s best to keep all the updates current, and frequently I go to the HP website to check for all driver updates. It usually finds one or two. For me the driver that will not update is the Network Adapter and causes internet problems regularly. Apart from that all I can offer is to try the above and also try running your virus checker in safe mode.

Mac the Knife
10th Oct 2018, 09:43
Yeah, Windows remembers everything you have ever plugged into it and sometimes this store get corrupted. Delete a problem device in Device Manger and when you restart/replug back it comes, with the same duff driver that is causing the problems.

Device Remover is an alternate freeware Device Manager for Microsoft Windows developed by Kerem Gümrükcü. Allows you to remove all trace of errant devices etc.Think of it as a Device Manager on steroids (a a VERY sharp knife!). Very powerful app - batteries not supplied. RTFM.

Official site has been down for ages so just Google for Kerem Gümrükcü (not a lot of 'em about...)
Plenty of places where you can find it, but check the SHA first.

Mac

KelvinD
10th Oct 2018, 16:03
Thanks Mac,
I shall seek it out and give it a bash later.

Shaman
10th Oct 2018, 17:57
....... For me the driver that will not update is the Network Adapter and causes internet problems regularly. .....
I cured the problems on my Dell by going to the website of the manufacturer of the network adapter and downloading the appropriate driver.

gemma10
10th Oct 2018, 21:33
I cured the problems on my Dell by going to the website of the manufacturer of the network adapter and downloading the appropriate driver.

Thanks Shaman: I did just that with HP but there is no update. It`s a documented problem.

Percy Cute
13th Oct 2018, 14:56
I'm no geek and I do keep an old discarded PC with W7 32 to run itunes and photoshop elements in case I need them for something. No internet, no antivirus, no updates. Still the odd frustration with drivers.
But my study computer has Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. Best advice I can give you is to try it on an old machine and see if you like it. EVERYTHING works, straight out of the box: printers, scanners, office suite, internet, etc.
It's free to download but if you don't fancy that just buy a DVD from ebay for a couple of quid. No bother with updates and antivirus.
Not so good if all you do is play games, but simple as pie for everything else and it will find all your old docs and pics if you save them somewhere.........
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
Search mint dvd cinnamon on ebay

Loads of online tutorials. And a grand cheaper than a mac.

Fareastdriver
13th Oct 2018, 18:44
I download Mint Linux 32 for my old W7 laptop. I put it on a disc and loaded it. Everything seemed OK until it had finished loading when it came up with:

'login failed:' and then a long list of errors.

I am puzzled about the login. Is it suppose to be connected to the internet as part of the installation?

Percy Cute
13th Oct 2018, 22:30
Sorry FED
Have never seen that. You don't have to enter a password to log in with mint on start up. But you do need a simple password for installing new software and similar alterations. There can be issues with some major-name laptops that have fast boot set in the bios so some settings need to be changed. If you can get the machine to boot from the dvd or dongle you get a good idea of how Mint works. A full installation (from the desktop icon) is best done with internet.
There's a lot of help online and any probs can normally be googled out. Like I said, I'm not a geek or even very techy and I hate going back to W7. Once Mint is up and running it's really worth the effort. Boots from cold in about 30secs (with SSD) and shuts down dead in about 5! Chrome users will see no difference when they use Chromium as their browser.

gemma10
15th Oct 2018, 17:02
PC Don`t want to hijack Kelvin`s thread, but have downloaded Mint Cinnamon on my W7. Do I just open it and see what happens?

KelvinD
15th Oct 2018, 20:57
gemma: Don't worry about hijacking the thread. I am reaching the end of my tether now with Windows and, having seen your comment, am investigating the possibility (probability!) of installing Mint.

izod tester
16th Oct 2018, 06:29
Linux distributions, of which Mint is one of the best, are usually obtained as image files, usually with the file designator “.iso” or “.img”. Once you have an image file you then need to burn the image to a DVD disk using Nero or other optical disk application. You then boot the PC with the DVD and choose the option “Run as live disk” to see what is on offer. The live disk running from DVD is much slower than a fully installed version, but you get to see what it will look like. A full install can be done from a running live disk or from an option on the menu when you start the disk.

It is also possible to use the image file to make a bootable USB flash drive which will load and run more quickly than a DVD. A utility to do this can be downloaded from “PendriveLinux”.

Although Linux is less targeted my virus writers, there are a few viruses in the wild, but Claws antivirus software is available and free. Although any Linux distribution will normally continue to run without updates, security issues will be found and patches made available (usually much more quickly than by MS) and regular checks and update routines should be run. On Mint, this entails opening a terminal window (you do have to do a bit of simple reading to learn the Linux system) and entering the commands “apt-get update” and “apt-get upgrade” and selecting “Y” when prompted.

Percy Cute
16th Oct 2018, 14:13
Good hunting to anyone prepared to have a bash with Linux. Regarding the original post about the Samsung phone, all androids and iPhones I've connected by USB to my mint pc have been recognised and opened without a snag, so you can back up your pics and mp3s etc without difficulty. Also supports WhatsApp via your browser. Libre Office, installed free with mint, is fully compatible with the expensive version from ms.

ImageGear
22nd Oct 2018, 06:54
If MS made Operating Systems that lasted too long, they would not make enough money. Removing older drivers, for most non-technical people, might well result in a trip to the store for a new PC/Laptop/Phone/Tablet, etc.

It's planned obsolescence done automatically in the middle of the night, by faceless people sitting in Redmond. PS, I was part of the problem for 30 years so I'm feeling rather guilty at the moment. My current goal is to reduce my own IT footprint by 90% in the next couple of years.

Linux is ahead by a neck only because the next generation OS has not morphed out of the primordial soup.

IG

Philoctetes
24th Oct 2018, 14:20
Looks as if a fresh install would fit the bill - or even update to Win 10?

Capn Bloggs
25th Oct 2018, 11:50
Looks as if a fresh install would fit the bill
Do it. Win7 going like a champion here (Mixture would be pleased!). Wouldn't touch Linux with a barge pole. My life is too short!

Guest 112233
25th Oct 2018, 14:25
Go to Power settings, left click the mouse, More power settings, select change power settings, change advanced power settings, and look for USB Settings; click the little box + and open USB selective suspend settings and if enabled is set, for both on battery & on power; toggle the setting to disabled and save your selection in the usual way. I've done this on a Win 8.1 Dell (the Ver 7 Pro PC is locked away so the exact options may differ a bit). It stopped the nuisance USB dropouts/fail to find issues for me.

CAT III

currawong
28th Oct 2018, 10:17
Whichever way you go avoid windows 10.

Worst POS I have ever used.

Actually not used, have not been able to keep it working long enough to do anything useful.

bern444
2nd Nov 2018, 22:54
Windows 10 - excellent operating system. If you're still running W7 you must expect that manufacturers won't consider you a priority any more, so drivers won't be updated etc.

If you just need straightforward stuff, Linux in some flavour will do just as good a job as other OSs, for free.

Bernie

Ancient Observer
5th Nov 2018, 16:54
W7 still going well here. As Capn Bloggs said, Mixture would be pleased! But he's probably found a more entertaining thread somewhere.

India Four Two
10th Nov 2018, 07:12
I'm a long time Mac user, but when I have to use Windows, W7 is fine for me. It's the best version of Windows that I have used.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading to Windows 10, because of the multiple issues and the lack of control over upgrades. Don't get me started on Vista and W8!!!!

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2018, 20:12
I have just uploaded Linux on a spare hard drive, as people have said it is fast and furious. The big problem is that it is not a social program. I tried to load a couple of recreational games like Mah Jong and Solitaire from CDs. The files came up on the list but there were no install files. I searched the web for Linux versions but there are loads of sites offering free versions but there seems to be no way of automatic loading, the instructions are horrendously complicated.

I have just tried to download the Google Toolbar to find that it has been discontinued. I have used that for most of this century so without that it's bye bye Linux.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Nov 2018, 22:12
I am reminded of a very profound observation made in this column a couple of years back by another user: "Linux is an excellent operating system - until you try and do something with it ... ". I tried it; more than once, but it always disappointed. I found it infinitely more complicated to learn much less master, and it seemingly almost always needed to be updated or adjusted. At the end of these experiments, the hassle of deleting the Linux partitions, and then re-discovering and authorising the valid boot sector caused more than enough angst. To those who can feel comfortable and confident in the environment, I salute you! You are able to function at an entirely different to that which I was able to achieve.

However - and to my surprise - I'm finding w7 and W10 are going along OK and working well in almost all I ask of them. And XP on a couple of other machines still purrs along on a couple of programs which I need to use occasionally - off line of course!