PDA

View Full Version : Dogs banned from football pitches?

ShotOne
8th Oct 2018, 08:13
Parts of Wales have banned dogs from being exercised on marked sports pitches. In my view, long overdue. The pitch where my lads and his mates train is often a disgusting mess. What’s worse “exercised” for many owners means “emptied”. And picking-up tends to happen only when someone’s looking. The rspca say they’re “troubled”. Really?

tescoapp
8th Oct 2018, 08:38
Its more than that if my facebook feed is anything to go by. They are also making it illegal for dogs to be let loose in "shared areas".

The taffy dog owners are outraged and parents and none dog owners are more than happy with the plan.

Everyone is apparently a responsible dog owner and its going to be life threatening not being able to let the dog off the lead.

Apparently its up to the council to police with current rules and they are just being "cheap" not having enough wardens to do it properly. I suspect though they would solve the welsh unemployment issues if they were to employ enough wardens to do it effectively. Oh and the dog owners shouldn't have to pay for this additional staffing it comes out the public purse.

Quiet how to solve it I really don't know, its an issue in quiet a few areas of the UK.

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2018, 09:03
In some council areas they had the brilliant idea of shaming the perps, they spray the poo pink. Having a patch of pink painted pavement outside you house doesn't look good either.

We have a nature trail a short distance away. It seems many dogs dump as soon as they get there. No fun for the people living either side of the rest of us dodging the poo. Almost as bad is the bagged poo "I'll pick it up on the way back". Doesn't work on a circular walk does it. On that trail there are poo bins at each entrance and many others in the village.

We are in a dog walking group, one member, while crossing a field of wheat shoed the poo into the crops; she was carrying poo bags!
​​​

ShotOne
8th Oct 2018, 09:48
Even if it is picked up from a footie pitch (which I can attest it often isn’t!) it mostly leaves some poo behind. Just not reasonable to expect kids to play in that.

Toadstool
8th Oct 2018, 09:55
I used to live on an island in the Med and played rugby during the autumn/winter/spring. They used to spread water mixed with effluent onto the pitches to keep the grass growing. I remember cuts and grazes used to take much longer than they used to to heal!

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2018, 11:25
We have two dogs and they are never allowed on sports pitches, for all the proper reasons. We also have a supply of bags, which are used for the advertised purpose. Unfortunately, our nearest path into the countryside is used by at least one professional dog walker, who takes along up to six dogs at a time. The path is filthy, despite a doggy litter bin being placed at the entrance. A while back one of the larger dogs in her care (or not) was off the lead and ran over to my wife, who was walking our dogs and attacked the smaller of the two. Our big dog saw it off. I have never seen this person "pick up" after the dogs.

Anyhow, to avoid any further possibility of attacks and us being "tarred with the same brush" as someone who allows their dog to mess up the village, our dogs are now taken by car out into the countryside to be walked, well away from sports pitches.

Espada III
8th Oct 2018, 12:37
As a dog owner, I would not want my children playing on a footbal pitch which had been 'cr***ed' on. It's just horrible. I have poo bags in every coat pocket abd I use them.

However, in the countryside, the stick and flick method is apparently an acceptable method of disposiing of poo much to my surprise.

VP959
8th Oct 2018, 12:42
This is probably an unusual case, where a rugby player had a leg wound infected from dog crap and ended up having his leg amputated, but it does illustrate the risk: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-45146017/man-s-leg-amputated-after-dog-poo-got-in-wound

As he lives in Wales, I wonder if there is any link between his injury and the ban on exercising dogs on sports pitches?

racedo
8th Oct 2018, 13:32
As dog owners happy to have dogs chipped then let their dog poo DNA be collected.

Responsible dog owners whould be happy to do it as rules them out.

Tankertrashnav
8th Oct 2018, 14:19
Easy for me I live in the country and have 5 acres for my dog to crap on. Not so good for town dwellers but that's a problem they must sort out. Dogs on sports field, children's playgrounds etc are definitely not on. If you don't have a garden at least, you should seriously consider keeping goldfish instead!

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2018, 14:25
We have a problem on the village 'open space' area in the middle of a housing development.
The play equipment is fenced off, but women are fastening their dogs within the fenced-off area whilst they stand outside and natter :ugh:

Curious Pax
8th Oct 2018, 14:31
However, in the countryside, the stick and flick method is apparently an acceptable method of disposiing of poo much to my surprise.

Multiple Forestry Commission locations specifically state to use the stick and flick method if it isn’t on the path. Goes against the grain for us so we still tend to pick up unless one of ours has gone deep into the undergrowth to perform.

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2018, 14:37
As a 'litter-picker' with a beat of rural riverside paths, I would prefer the stick and flick methods rather than have to recover the bags hanging in the bushes.

Of course there are dog-owners who do not keep their charges within their sight, so it doesn't matter what suggestion you make to them as they are oblivious of what goes on.

We also have owners who remain in their car and send off the pooch to find its own spot.

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2018, 15:13
The stick and flick is probably advocated as better than poo bag decorations and waiting for the poo bag fairy but is clearly not the best practice.

hiflymk3
8th Oct 2018, 15:20
I have poo bags in every coat pocket abd I use them.

Empty ones we hope.

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2018, 15:41
Empty ones we hope.
Full ones make great hand warmers

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2018, 17:16
Another find whilst litter-picking is empty (unused) poobags . . .

westernhero
8th Oct 2018, 18:24
as a walker of one large dog I take a nice big bag of other second hand bags to use to pick up after our doggie pal. I do look in puzzlement at the behaviour of others such as the mum on a phone pushing a pram and dragging the dog behind her, neither allowing it to play, smell or poo in one place. More than a few of those, the groups of people too busy nattering to see what pooch is doing until I shout and point....

but on the the other side of the coin we also have the endless rubbish dropped by everyone, crisp packets, fag packets, sweet wrappers, etc. Even the bloody council won't take its own rubbish, those tubey plasticky things about 3 ft long which are put around trees to protect from rabbits whilst growing ? I've picked up 7 in the last few weeks and they make a nice little pile by the bin at the country park entrance near me. The bin/ shit wagon turned up the other day and the ( two ! ) man crew changed the bags over and ignored said tubes......

then there is the sick, human of all delightful colours and make up, probably from the teenagers drinking...oh and their bottles, broken or not chucked everywhere....

and that brings me to the car park with all those nice clear empty little pockets, drugs carrying for the use of...

So dog shit ? Guilty as charged, I pick up mine and tell others, I also pick up the bags waiting for the shit fairy ( I'm here ! ). The rest of the crap ? If it's small and cleanish I'll break out a bag and pick it up and bin it for those unable to clean after themselves, the rest ? Well it's your park folks, clean up yourself.

Hydromet
8th Oct 2018, 22:16
As a 'litter-picker' with a beat of rural riverside paths, I would prefer the stick and flick methods rather than have to recover the bags hanging in the bushes.

It gets me that people will pick it up in a bag then toss it into the trees, where it hangs indefinitely. I pick up after my hound, and have no trouble carrying the bag until I can drop it in a bin, but someone on one of our walking routes seems to have made a habit of tossing the bags into the bush next to the path. there are about half a dozen there. If I see him/her, I shall follow them, then later, collect the bags and empty them into their letter box. Some should be quite ripe by now.

hiflymk3
8th Oct 2018, 22:36
There's a Drogba Messi on the on the pitch.

BehindBlueEyes
8th Oct 2018, 22:47
But we can all make an exception for this one on the pitch - s/he’s a real sweetie:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-45792179/dog-invades-football-pitch-during-match

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2018, 23:02
And then one day there was.

A man was dragging a pit bull type down the road outside the magistrates court. The dog was trying to shit and was pooing as it was dragged, and there right by me was a
​​​​​​police car.

I pointed out what was happening, blue lights on, quick 180, and they pulled up by the man. Window down, they had words and drove off. He walked on leaving the poo behind. Gob smacked.

sitigeltfel
9th Oct 2018, 03:38
I am in the habit of carrying a roll of poo bags at all times, even when I don't have a dog with me. I wonder what airport security thought, seeing as the rolls have been through the x-ray machine a few times. It's helped a few people on occasion when they've been caught out, and once when a chap was carrying a bag of onions that split, I gave him a couple of clean bags to carry them the rest of the way.

They also come in handy as "doggie bags" for restaurant leftovers. Not for personal consumption I may add!

sitigeltfel
9th Oct 2018, 07:43
Of course dogs shouldn't poo on the pitch, that's Gary Linekers job...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6252441/england-gary-lineker-toilet-pants-poo/

tescoapp
10th Oct 2018, 12:14
Similar to what I see on social media there are lots of comments from people that have respect from others and take being a dog owner seriously.

How to prevent/stop those that are not playing the game. And how to prevent people be exposed to the poo is shared areas.

As far as I can see the only way is to stop places being shared areas as the welsh have done.

gileraguy
11th Oct 2018, 07:22
when the pitch is mowed, the poo turns into an aerosol and is breathed in by the council workers...

Pontius Navigator
11th Oct 2018, 12:27
when the pitch is mowed, the poo turns into an aerosol and is breathed in by the council workers...
That is an interesting take on the situation but I doubt it would be macerated to the extent of becoming an aerosol. Had that been the case H&S would have had them wearing masks already.

More significant I think is the scattering on poo from a 'neat' heap to a wider spead, especially from a rotary mower or strimmer. From a heap you might see, avoid or pick up, you have a near invisible and unavoidable spread over a wider area.

CoodaShooda
11th Oct 2018, 12:28
Many years ago, I played cricket in a rural competition, with our local town competing with neighbouring towns in the district.

It it was well known that, in one town, if the visiting captain won the toss and chose to bat, the visitors would turn up the following saturday for their turn in the field, only to find a flock of sheep had been grazing on the oval during the week.

Couldn't really do do much about it when the local constable was their team captain and his brother owned the flock.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2018, 08:54
The stick and flick is probably advocated as better than poo bag decorations and waiting for the poo bag fairy but is clearly not the best practice.
It occurs to me,if you use stick and flick, make sure you pick up the right end and not the shite end of the stick.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2018, 09:08
I thought to seek more information on stick and flick and found this site from 4 years ago:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/where_is_it_acceptable_not_to_pick_up_your_dogs_mess-587647

Very illuminating. To Eau d'fox that dogs like dabbing behind the ears I would add cat shit and dead rabbit. And on shit eating would add that our last dog did not discriminate between dog food pellets and rabbit poo. Is there a difference☺?
​​​