PDA

View Full Version : GATWICK northern runway

interpreter
7th Oct 2018, 09:18
There is a rumour that a twin engined jet took off as cleared using the northern runway recently at Gatwick and only just cleared hardware at the eastern end. Does anybody know anything about this?

Airbanda
7th Oct 2018, 09:57
There is a rumour that a twin engined jet took off as cleared using the northern runway recently at Gatwick and only just cleared hardware at the eastern end. Does anybody know anything about this?

Nothing in Avherald which, absent reports by mainstream media, is where I'd expect to see it covered first.

At least one similar incident (SunWing 737 at BFS) was only picked up after substantial delay and in that case there was damage to ground equipment.

There are plenty of Spotter's reports of aircraft only just airborne at end of strip which are down to optical illusions and/or normal operation of flex thrust or t/o from an intersection.

I guess if there was an incident it will be reported in AAIB Bulletin in due course.

DaveReidUK
7th Oct 2018, 10:09

A "twin-engined jet" at Gatwick doesn't narrow it down much. :O

As for "hardware at the eastern end" of the northern runway, it's hard to see what that could have been. You could roll for another kilometer beyond the end of the 08L TORA and unless you were unlucky enough to encounter a taxying aircraft, the first thing you would hit would be the jetties on stands 4/5.

If you really do mean that a departing aircraft only just cleared one on the ground, I think we would have heard about it by now without waiting for an AAIB report.

student88
7th Oct 2018, 12:56
Nothing in Avherald which, absent reports by mainstream media, is where I'd expect to see it covered first.

The AvHerald aren't the authority, I have been aware of plenty of incidents which never appeared on their site. So just because it isn't there, it doesn't mean it didn't happen..

interpreter
7th Oct 2018, 13:26
Have re-checked with my source and it was believed to have a been a Norwegian aircraft but cannot tell if it was a 787 or 737

JW411
7th Oct 2018, 16:21
I hope he has a good lawyer.

Airbanda
7th Oct 2018, 21:00
The AvHerald aren't the authority, I have been aware of plenty of incidents which never appeared on their site. So just because it isn't there, it doesn't mean it didn't happen..

Not saying it didn't happen, just looking for evidence it did.

DaveReidUK
7th Oct 2018, 21:25
A date a little more precise than "recently" would help in deciding whether or not it happened.

suninmyeyes
7th Oct 2018, 21:52
I don’t quite understand how this could have happened. At Gatwick you are not cleared for take off until you have entered the runway. Also you are normally told to line up behind an arriving or departing aircraft.

DaveReidUK
7th Oct 2018, 22:20
I don’t quite understand how this could have happened.

Unless and until we actually know what "this" was, we have no hope of understanding the how or why.

only just cleared hardware at the eastern end

A and C
8th Oct 2018, 05:17
This is a rumour network and I would hazard a guess that the rumour has about as much validity as the rumour about my national lottery win.

Eau de Boeing
8th Oct 2018, 12:40
Well if it was definitely a twin engine that’s me off the hook!

Nightstop
8th Oct 2018, 14:29
08L TORA is about 600 metres less than 08R. A take-off from 08L using performance figures for a reduced thrust take-off from 08R would fit this scenario. Just guessing though.

Mr Angry from Purley
8th Oct 2018, 18:12
Many moons ago there was a Braniff (might be someone else) 747 took off and ATC lost sight of her. Think it lost an engine - sure someone will confirm with the correct info.

Maxfli
8th Oct 2018, 18:39
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1361/ea2b9795_3d2c_4a16_a2bb_22ef093c2285_830cc982342e984f3039bac dd11a8491b2d17cd3.jpeg

Wander West on Juliet............ Cleared for take-off................ Line up on 08L and launch...... In Gatters? Don’t believe it.

nevillestyke
8th Oct 2018, 19:31
Many moons ago there was a Braniff (might be someone else) 747 took off and ATC lost sight of her. Think it lost an engine - sure someone will confirm with the correct info.
Think I saw that one, sometime in the 80s, when I was working outdoors in Brighton. It did two circuits at about 800', dumping fuel at sea before returning to Gatwick. They said that it lost an engine, taking off in a crosswind, and clipped the trees.

Liffy 1M
8th Oct 2018, 19:33
Think I saw that one, sometime in the 80s, when I was working outdoors in Brighton. It did two circuits at about 800', dumping fuel at sea before returning to Gatwick. They said that it lost an engine, taking off in a crosswind, and clipped the trees.

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/4-1989-boeing-747-n605pe-1-february-1988

30W
8th Oct 2018, 20:17
Mr Angry,

We’re going back many years! Not sure of details but do as a pilot vividly remember a story of an aircraft, operator unknown, losing an engine (even 2, 747?) from LGW which disappeared from towers sight! Story went that the flight engineer was a major saving factor as was dumping fuel before the gear retraction was even complete.....

If true makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

30W

DaveReidUK
9th Oct 2018, 06:29
Wander West on Juliet............ Cleared for take-off................ Line up on 08L and launch...... In Gatters? Don’t believe it.

Hmmm. A confusing, hypothetical explanation for one possible scenario surrounding an unconfirmed event.

OK, I know PPRuNe is a rumour network, but let's not get too carried away. :O

Right Way Up
9th Oct 2018, 07:41
Mr Angry, I remember it as a Continental 747 which had an engine surge due to crosswind. Friends of mine in Concorde House thought it had hit Russ Hill, as did the controller who hit the crash alarm. Stories in the paper included a farm hand on Russ Hill ducking for cover whilst being doused in Jet A1 ;)

Meester proach
9th Oct 2018, 09:36
Just wish they’d stop shutting the main runway as and when at night. Real pain in the.....

MichaelKPIT
9th Oct 2018, 14:04
Mr Angry, I remember it as a Continental 747 which had an engine surge due to crosswind. Friends of mine in Concorde House thought it had hit Russ Hill, as did the controller who hit the crash alarm. Stories in the paper included a farm hand on Russ Hill ducking for cover whilst being doused in Jet A1 ;)
I saw that one! We were watching from the end of the South Terminal as it headed toward the hill. Scary as heck - we really didn't think it was going to make it!

surely not
9th Oct 2018, 14:11
The link to the B747 incident is already shown on post 18 by Liffy1M and the full report is on there. Continental 747 reg N605PE

Nothing showing yet about any incident involving a twin a few nights ago

DaveReidUK
9th Oct 2018, 14:48
Nothing showing yet about any incident involving a twin a few nights ago

Do you have information that it was a night-time incident, or are you simply inferring that from the report that it involved the emergency runway ?

scr1
9th Oct 2018, 14:52
Have heard that their have been some instances of aircraft starting their take of roll from the displaced landing threshold

BARKINGMAD
9th Oct 2018, 19:53
Meester, they have to fill in the potholes sometime, so why not off-peak?!

I used to enjoy setting up for 26R using the FMS, I believe that's one good way of developing SA.

But then I'm old and pre-WinXP so that's how we completed the task in them thar days.

Tom!
11th Oct 2018, 21:50
Incident: Easyjet Europe A319 at London on Sep 30th 2018, error in takeoff calculation (http://avherald.com/h?article=4bed5415&opt=0)
this could be the one.

DaveReidUK
11th Oct 2018, 22:11
Incident: Easyjet Europe A319 at London on Sep 30th 2018, error in takeoff calculation (http://avherald.com/h?article=4bed5415&opt=0)this could be the one.
No.

The OP described an easterly takeoff from the northern runway.

The Avherald report relates to a westerly takeoff from the southern runway.