PDA

View Full Version : Monkey drives bus in India

rotornut
6th Oct 2018, 16:50
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-45772168

Pontius Navigator
6th Oct 2018, 17:21
Yeah, like one of our Scotties drove my car. Couldn't reach the pedals and definitely knew that she was steering it. Not smart enough to turn the wheel though.

rotornut
6th Oct 2018, 17:32
Having been on Indian roads many times I wish more monkeys were driving the vehicles rather than most Indian drivers. :eek:

Argonautical
6th Oct 2018, 18:07
The driver is steering with his right hand which is hidden by the monkey. The monkey is wholly sitting on the steering wheel so the laws of physics states that it would be impossible for it to turn the wheel. Something like being in a rowing boat and pushing against the side of the boat to move it closer to the bank.

Planet Basher
6th Oct 2018, 21:33
The driver is steering with his right hand which is hidden by the monkey. The monkey is wholly sitting on the steering wheel so the laws of physics states that it would be impossible for it to turn the wheel. Something like being in a rowing boat and pushing against the side of the boat to move it closer to the bank.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

UniFoxOs
7th Oct 2018, 08:27
Something like being in a rowing boat and pushing against the side of the boat to move it closer to the bank.

Although, strangely, that is possible. Well, not pushing but jerking oneself within the boat. Never quite understood why it works, though.

Pontius Navigator
7th Oct 2018, 08:34
Like wholly in a treadmill then☺

Sir Niall Dementia
7th Oct 2018, 10:10
What's all the fuss? Monkeys drive buses around London all the time.

Snd

Argonautical
7th Oct 2018, 11:19
Like wholly in a treadmill then

Good point but doesn't a treadmill only work because at one stage in the cycle, the hamster has all 4 feet off the ground? There is never an expert in Newtonian physics around when you need one is there?

Pontius Navigator
7th Oct 2018, 11:29
No, the wheel of treadmill work simply through moments and gravity. Your monkey, its mass centred at 6 o'clock, is stable. If it transfers part of its body to 3 o'clock the moment will cause a twisting motion.

Even a driver sitting in seat will cause the same effect. Of course the resistance of the wheels require greater force.

happybiker
7th Oct 2018, 13:10
Although, strangely, that is possible. Well, not pushing but jerking oneself within the boat. Never quite understood why it works, though.

Is this an activity that is encouraged by the boating fraternity!

krismiler
7th Oct 2018, 15:51
As long as the monkey operates the horn constantly he is well able to drive in India. You cannot be on the road in an Indian city without hearing a horn sounding somewhere from the start to the end of your trip.

racedo
7th Oct 2018, 16:25
Shrugs

In UK more than a few apes and gorillas drive buses..................... especially that Cnut who cut me up yesterday and jumped a red light.

Ancient Mariner
7th Oct 2018, 17:58
As long as the monkey operates the horn constantly he is well able to drive in India. You cannot be on the road in an Indian city without hearing a horn sounding somewhere from the start to the end of your trip.
"How's my driving? Please call 800-IDIOT-DRIVER-ME"
Per

racedo
7th Oct 2018, 18:26
"How's my driving? Please call 800-IDIOT-DRIVER-ME"
Per

Someone on M25 recently acted as a **** and figured it was ok in his employers van.
Strangely his employer didn't feel the same way when I called and made him aware that
it was his business on show. I just called business number on van.
Clear in not looking to get someone sacked, employer agreed, he and driver would have a
formal discussion into his driving and a likely awareness course especially as all
company vans have tracking data on them.

Chronus
7th Oct 2018, 19:24
What`s so special about monkeys driving buses. They proved they could do a lot more in Planet of the Apes didn`t they.

Pontius Navigator
7th Oct 2018, 19:28
You are clearly not up to speed on Indian car wiring. They have a mod where the horn is connected to the steering wheel split rings and two additional push buttons, one under the brake pedal and the other under the accelerator.

rotornut
7th Oct 2018, 22:57
And the horns are really big. In Ahmednagar, a city of about 350,000, they actually installed a traffic light but nobody obeyed it. When I came back a year later it was abandoned by the side of the road.

flash8
8th Oct 2018, 21:24
Having been on Indian roads many times I wish more monkeys were driving the vehicles rather than most Indian drivers.
I spent a few years in Georgia, not only Tbilisi but outposts like Kutaisi, and not only were the roads atrocious (even for the USG Land Cruisers) but the drivers were far worse. I often thought that if I died in Georgia it would be in a traffic accident. Unfortunately a few days before my departure from that extended stay somebody was killed within twenty metres from me when run over by a car outside the (big) Mariott just before Freedom Square.. and I wasn't even shocked (that made me feel guilty though). Moscow isn't much better, I keep well away from the roads if possible, and travel by metro.

RatherBeFlying
8th Oct 2018, 23:31
I am reminded of many Russian dashcam videos where Черт возьми! Is commonly used.

krismiler
9th Oct 2018, 01:08
I was told that busses in India have an annual quota of allowable pedestrian deaths, if a bus exceeds that number it gets put off the road.

rotornut
9th Oct 2018, 01:43
I don't doubt it. I also read that an average of two people a day are killed walking along the tracks by trains in Mumbai.

ORAC
9th Oct 2018, 06:58
The question must be asked - was the bus on a conveyor belt?

ORAC
9th Oct 2018, 12:10
I see in The Times today that the driver (human) has been suspended.

You reckon the monkey squealed on him?

Background Noise
9th Oct 2018, 12:52
So the story should actually be 'Monkey sits on steering wheel'?

meadowrun
9th Oct 2018, 14:33
"Something like being in a rowing boat and pushing against the side of the boat to move it closer to the bank."

"Although, strangely, that is possible. Well, not pushing but jerking oneself within the boat. Never quite understood why it works, though."

Had a friend who served on a battleship off Vietnam once upon a time.
He said that when they fired a full broadside, the ship was shoved 50 yards sideways.

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2018, 14:58
Had a friend who served on a battleship off Vietnam once upon a time.
He said that when they fired a full broadside, the ship was shoved 50 yards sideways.
Wouldn't work if the projectiles hit the side of the vessel . . .

packapoo
9th Oct 2018, 22:23
Some of the aviation stuff I see reported from that country tends to lead me to suppose that some monkeys actually are able to pilot aircraft......

Ancient Mariner
10th Oct 2018, 10:56
Someone on M25 recently acted as a **** and figured it was ok in his employers van.
Strangely his employer didn't feel the same way when I called and made him aware that
it was his business on show. I just called business number on van.
Clear in not looking to get someone sacked, employer agreed, he and driver would have a
formal discussion into his driving and a likely awareness course especially as all
company vans have tracking data on them.
Had the same happen to me over here, a Truck driving for Rockwool. Called them and asked for the person responsible for logistics. Told him in no uncertain terms that if he did not call the truck in question and ask him to behave, I would bring traffic on the E6 to a halt and beat the living daylight out of the driver. One minute later he backed off, really backed off. Was informed that the truck was hired, not their own, and that they were not much pleased with such manners, while carrying their name, logo and phonenumber.
Per

Fareastdriver
12th Oct 2018, 14:18
They have them in their aeroplanes now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-45833239

flash8
13th Oct 2018, 13:37
They have them in their aeroplanes now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-45833239
They also have them running the DGCA.... except those ones are very rich, many of those licences weren't exactly gained by a rigorous IR checkride or scrutiny, the practice of blocking the windows with newspaper on long haul should be stopped as well... and letting flight attendants fly whilst both crew dozing down the back.. can think of many other unmentionable practices. My advice is never let your family anywhere near one of them... you are literally gambling.