PDA

View Full Version : Oktoberfest

evansb
6th Oct 2018, 14:06
Oktoberfest will be held this Friday and Saturday at my local community hall. I am enticed by the local fresh pork and all-beef frankfurters, fresh buns, and bratwurst sausages with sauerkraut, dill pickles, plus fresh local lager beer. Locally grown boiled corn-on-the-cob with salt and butter will also be served.

There will be a Polka dance. My wife wants me to dance with her. Alas, I don't dance well, but should I dance with her anyway?

Also, a mandatory post dance activity involves a brain-storming seminar on "How to Invade Poland". Should I attend?

sycamore
6th Oct 2018, 19:01
Get the Polka done before you start on the other stuff; you`ll be lighter by kilos,`twinkletoes` even,impressing `er indoors`,and can then be relaxed,and loosen the belt and braces.....

Saintsman
6th Oct 2018, 20:13
If its anything like the Oktoberfests that I have attended, after a few steins, you won't care how many spots are in the Polka dance...

ethicalconundrum
6th Oct 2018, 20:24
Yawohl. Und tanzen mit frau.

Private jet
6th Oct 2018, 20:54
Well the real one ends tomorrow, not sure what the OP's point is?

ORAC
7th Oct 2018, 16:16
Personally I think he should avoid the Poland tactics debate until he has sorted out the Sudetenland.

Ancient Mariner
7th Oct 2018, 17:55
Made sausages for our upcoming Oktoberfest last week, nearly burnt down the garage while smoking them. My homemade cold smoke oven may need some minor adjustments. Mind you, minor ones, like being dumped at the scrap heap.
Per

ShyTorque
7th Oct 2018, 19:27
These days I try to avoid Oktoberfests. They are dangerous things.

My kids, Warsteiner, Hofbrau and Stella are living proof....

Kerosene Kraut
7th Oct 2018, 20:30
It's crowded and noisy. Why not just cook yourself and enjoy the stuff at home?
Bavarian Kitchen German Recipes Meats - German Meat Dishes (http://www.bavariankitchen.com/meats/meats.aspx)
and something to drink:
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/german-beer?limit=all

Ancient Mariner
7th Oct 2018, 21:57
It's crowded and noisy. Why not just cook yourself and enjoy the stuff at home?
Bavarian Kitchen German Recipes Meats - German Meat Dishes (http://www.bavariankitchen.com/meats/meats.aspx)
and something to drink:
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/german-beer?limit=all

Thanks for the recipes and the beer link, we're off to Kiel next week to catch some real beer, mustard, sauerkraut and a few bottles of Bommerlunder. Will look for beer with those old fashioned re-sealable corks. Maybe not for taste, but for decorations.
On the meny, Eisbein mit sauerkraut and my homemade wursts, served with boiled potatoes and yellow pea puree.
With everyone dressed up and pickled it will be epic. :eek:
Per

Gargleblaster
7th Oct 2018, 22:06
Was advised by a native Bavarian that alternating the intake of one litre of beer and half a fried chicken will enable you to keep going indefinetely. But skipping either, just once, results in immediate stupor...

Oh, und Lederhosen you must have?

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2018, 03:53
Lederhosen habe ich seit ich ein Teenager war

Kerosene Kraut
8th Oct 2018, 07:27
The northern beer with the old style bottles is the "Flensburger".

Pinky the pilot
8th Oct 2018, 09:58
Personally I think he should avoid the Poland tactics debate until he has sorted out the Sudetenland

Concur, and don't even think about having a go at England!:=

After all, there are still more Spitfires and Hurricanes flying today than there are Me109's or He111s.:D

Ancient Mariner
8th Oct 2018, 14:34
The northern beer with the old style bottles is the "Flensburger".
Should be able to find them in Kiel, not too far from Flensburg. What do you think?
Per

Ancient Mariner
8th Oct 2018, 14:36
Was advised by a native Bavarian that alternating the intake of one litre of beer and half a fried chicken will enable you to keep going indefinetely. But skipping either, just once, results in immediate stupor...

I have, problem is my seafaring dad bought them to me in Germany when I was 4 or 5 years old. Seriously doubt they'll fit.
Wife is slim though, mmmmm, might be worth a try. :E
Per

TowerDog
8th Oct 2018, 16:12
I have, problem is my seafaring dad bought them to me in Germany when I was 4 or 5 years old. Seriously doubt they'll fit.
Wife is slim though, mmmmm, might be worth a try. :E
Per

Per: Send bilde etterpå. :ooh:

Ancient Mariner
8th Oct 2018, 17:26
Per: Send bilde etterpå. :ooh:
I will suggest that to Her Highness, on the ferry to Kiel, after dinner and a visit to the bar. Fingers crossed.
Per

Krystal n chips
8th Oct 2018, 17:57

Your Bavarian friend would have been delighted to learn the half a fried chicken, plus frites and mayo, beer quantity variable, was standard fare on Firiday / Saturday nights on HM Gliding clubs, and "one or two other locations " in Germany without having to wait for Oktoberfest.

Thankfully, this life long addiction has been available in the UK for some time thanks to an outlet in London selling real German condiments, such as mayo and curry sauce, and the affectionately name "Wobbly " is also available...true the chicken tends to be roasted now rather than fried, but the principle of indulgence remains the same......much to the bemusement of the lady in my life.