PDA

View Full Version : CAO 48.1 (OLD)

Sukhoi SU-37
6th Oct 2018, 10:41
Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone can help me make sense of this.

Completed 12 hours tour of duty in a 3 crew operation, all which are able to act as PIC. You have a seat approved by CASA and assigned for the use of the resting crew member. Before you commence the next tour of duty in a 3 member crew, what rest period must you have?

Answer states 12 hours.

I use (CAO 48.1 - 3.12 and 3.9) after reading the two I would have picked 24 hours for minimum rest, however this is wrong. Why is it 12?

Capt Fathom
6th Oct 2018, 11:26
While I am a bit rusty on this, my quick take is....

Section 3.9 states.... pilot shall have a rest period of not less than 24 hours before being rostered for duty under the provisions of subsection 1.

Subsection 1 is specific to Operations with 2 pilots or less.

So from what you have said, if the next ToD is 3 crew, then min rest is 12 hours. If the next ToD is 2 crew, then the rest period is 24 hours.

In in all my years of flying, CAO48 has always been interesting!

Lead Balloon
6th Oct 2018, 11:50
Any decade now, the review of flight and duty time rules will be complete and new rules implemented.

In the ensuing century, just focus on the exemptions.

Nobody needs to comply with the flight and duty rules. CASA issues a 'standard exemption' from them. All in the name of safety, don't you know.

Sukhoi SU-37
7th Oct 2018, 05:58
Capt Fathom, you are an absolute legend. Thank you very much, I kept skimming over (Subsection 1) which all makes sense now!

LeadSled
7th Oct 2018, 07:17
Any decade now, the review of flight and duty time rules will be complete and new rules implemented.

In the ensuing century, just focus on the exemptions.

Nobody needs to comply with the flight and duty rules. CASA issues a 'standard exemption' from them. All in the name of safety, don't you know.

Folks,
Sadly, astoundingly accurate ---- the review update of (then) ANR 48 actually started in 1967, currently with no end in sight. How do I know --- because I represented one of the AFAP branches on the review consultation. For some years, the earth-shattering net "scientific" output was that the expression "B707" was changed to "turbo-jet aircraft".
Tootle pip!!