PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook rules out compensation for no-deal Brexit disruption

PAXboy
4th Oct 2018, 15:43
The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/04/thomas-cook-compensation-no-deal-brexit-disruption)

Thomas Cook, based in Manchester, has designated a no-deal Brexit as being akin to other situations it cannot control such as “civil unrest or events arising out of political instability”, in its conditions.

While the company will continue to refund the cost if a flight is cancelled, the change will mean it is not obliged to pay additional compensation.

I've placed this rather than in AA&R as other carriers will probably follow suit.

Saintsman
4th Oct 2018, 18:47
That seems reasonable, though if they are anticipating delays, then perhaps they should be concentrating on a revised schedule where there will be no delays and therefore no need for anyone to claim...

I imagine that there will be many things (not just aviation) that will generate the excuse, "Sorry, due to a no deal, the rules don't apply" much akin to "Sorry, Health & Safety" or "Sorry, Data Protection" without anyone actually knowing what the rules are.

DaveReidUK
4th Oct 2018, 19:34
That seems reasonable, though if they are anticipating delays, then perhaps they should be concentrating on a revised schedule where there will be no delays and therefore no need for anyone to claim...

They are referring to the possibility of aircraft being grounded because operating licences had become invalid.

No amount of revised scheduling would be able to get round that.

PAXboy
4th Oct 2018, 19:38
If I recall correctly, this was exactly what was forecast and warned about two years ago and dismissed by politicians and those in favour of the present situation...

theredbarron
20th Oct 2018, 15:59
The bumbling incompetent occupant of Nr 10 should be made to pick up the tab. Such possibilities were well know about, and included by HMG in their recent assessment paper, but still they press on with the madness.

Final 3 Greens
26th Oct 2018, 03:38
EC261 states " An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken".

As cynical as I have become to airlines trying to get out of paying compensation (and this particular one has tried it on with me in a particular ham fisted manner, in the past) I struggle to understand how an airline can take reasonable measures to avoid a situation that is so messy and thus renders efforts at contingency planning futile.

glad rag
17th Nov 2018, 18:41
The bumbling incompetent occupant of Nr 10 should be made to pick up the tab. Such possibilities were well know about, and included by HMG in their recent assessment paper, but still they press on with the madness.
barron, with the greatest of respect, it isn't "press on with the madness" it's "get ever further embroiled with the madness " by the back door.