PDA

View Full Version : China Southern

ChrisVJ
3rd Oct 2018, 19:55
We are looking at a possible trip for early next year. Does anyone know anything about China Southern Airlines before I commit SHMBO and I to them?

lomapaseo
3rd Oct 2018, 20:18
long haul, short haul, coach or business class?

CloudHound
3rd Oct 2018, 20:47
Only know one couple from Surrey who used this airline as part of a trip to NZ.

They will never ever, ever travel with them or any other Chinese airline nor transit through Bejing again.

WingNut60
3rd Oct 2018, 21:04
That's interesting, I have transited through Beijing many times and don't remember anything particularly difficult about it.
Can be a hell of a queue for immigration, but there's nothing unique about that.
Other times has been walk straight up.

Try an early morning or late night arrival at just about any airport and you'll be in a queue.

Ancient Mariner
3rd Oct 2018, 21:51
Only know one couple from Surrey who used this airline as part of a trip to NZ.

They will never ever, ever travel with them or any other Chinese airline nor transit through Bejing again.
I've tried most Chinese Airlines, most good, a few "interesting". China Southern has always been one of the best, Xinjiang Airlines the other end of the scale, now part of said China Southern. :E
We're flying SK/CA OSL/MNL/OSL come March. ;)
Per

Cralis
4th Oct 2018, 06:58
Myself and my family did China Southern from Brisbane to Lisbon (Brisbane to Guanzoh, to Paris, to Lisbon). Air France did Paris to Lisbon. It wasn't bad.... but the airport was very bad.... Very cold.... (6 hour wait and no where to lie down and "coffee" was pricy, and food options were costly and ... questionable). Queues were long and very militant. Flight it's self: We got moved to Premium Economy, because they left our bags behind. Food was not wonderful but OK. I'm not sure what was really egg. And I got a little bag of sauce called "Spicey Girl". Didn't eat it. Cabin crew were OK. But that was 3 years back. Same trip booked a year ago was Emirates, to see the difference. Was a bit more, money wise, but I felt, maybe worth it. We're going again this december, and ... chose Emirates. But .. I'd go China Southern again if I had to...

Ancient Mariner
4th Oct 2018, 13:42
"Spicy girl", probably sweet and sour. ;)
Per

RHSandLovingIt
4th Oct 2018, 20:48
The MIL has just done her 2nd trip from NZ to UK with China Southern (J Class)...

She is one of those types that will complain about pretty much anything. So, the fact she has chosen to travel with them again would indicate that, for the money, the product isn't too bad.

However, I happen to personally know several guys who were doing flight instruction in Merredin for China Southern. The stories they have regarding the capabilities of the cadets there has put China Southern on my "no fly" list :oh:

BehindBlueEyes
4th Oct 2018, 21:02
Someone obviously thought China Southern could do with a bit of good fortune:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2100242/elderly-flight-passenger-throws-coins-engine-luck-delays-take

tdracer
4th Oct 2018, 23:14
Wife and her family few China Southern between the Jakarta and the USA last year. I didn't hear any complaints, but their standards may be a bit lower than yours and mine.

Prawn2king4
5th Oct 2018, 03:56
Used China Southern many times ... & Beijing International airport. Apart from the immigration queue mentioned above, no problems.

Fareastdriver
5th Oct 2018, 09:10
Apart from the immigration queue mentioned above, no problems.

I never have any problem with immigration queues in China. I go straight to the VIP/Senior Citizens gate which only has two or three waiting.

I bit difficult if you are on a tour with a collective visa.

WingNut60
5th Oct 2018, 10:56
....... I go straight to the VIP/Senior Citizens gate which only has two or three waiting.

I had never noticed those queues but if I had, I'd have probably assumed that they were for Chinese Senior Citizens.
And I may think that I'm a VIP, but honestly............

bcgallacher
5th Oct 2018, 11:30
We have used China Southern a couple of times from Amsterdam to Manila as it was a KLM deal and cheap. Not very impressive - aircraft dirty,vomit down sidewall. Food piss poor and long transit times in Beijing and Guangu. Would not use them again. Now use Qatar Airways - Aircraft all very new,service and food good and short layover in Qatar.

Fareastdriver
5th Oct 2018, 12:27
And I may think that I'm a VIP, but honestly............

If you are ever in Shenzhen and want to go anywhere on the Metro you will find a manned gate near the escalator entrance. Over sixties (maybe sixty fives) just show their ID or passport and they are waved though and travel for free.

You also have to go through the manned gate at your destination because you will not have a ticket for the exit barrier.

It doesn't work on buses, they have a bus pass system.