PDA

View Full Version : Ending of services at Dublin

Flame
11th Oct 2001, 04:39
OK Guys;

Some were already known, some new...but so far O am hearing that the following are to be dropped into / out of Dublin..

DUB-New York JFK Delta
DUB-Newark Aer Lingus
DUB-Baltimore Aer Lingus
DUB-Stockholm Aer Lingus
DUB-Zurich Crossair
DUB-Oslo SAS
DUB-Vienne Tyrolean
DUB-Edinburgh Aer Lingus

A few more are in the pipeline as well, Shame that airlines are using the events of Sept 11th as excuses for all these cutbacks, I posted on this list on July 7th, stating that Aer Lingus were going to drop Newark, Baltimore and Stockholm...now they company are using the events in New York a a poor excuse for same.!!

What about the staff at Aer Lingus and I am sure at the handlers etc when the other airlines pull out.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gaza
11th Oct 2001, 11:32
Pulling out of DUB-EDI is understandable. EI had no chance of competing succesfully with GO and Ryanair. I priced a day trip this week for a busines meeting and the differences were huge:-

EI - £281 inc tax
GO - £20 inc tax
FR - £30 inc tax

Not easy to guess which one I chose!

Granted the fares being charged by GO and FR and unsustainable in the longterm but at the moment they make life easier for me. Due to cost constraints we have to get approval for all flights but these fall within our "self-approval" limits.

Flyin' High
11th Oct 2001, 13:42
Gaza ... Why unsustainable in the long term???

FR, EZY and GO have made a business out of low fares.... so why should DUB-EDI be any different???

Semaphore Sam
11th Oct 2001, 13:58
Flame: I'm as sorry as anyone to see services cut back, but for the long-term health of the industry, market forces must prevail. We've finally gotten rid of the unhealthy idea of 'flag carriers' being allowed to 'show the flag' with empty cabins; a short, 'cruel' cut now will allow a fast recovery later. To run empty aircraft drains companies assets, and will result in much greater layoffs in the longer term, as companies go bankrupt. My sympathies for those affected in the (hopefully) short run; long-term prospects do look good (especially long-haul), but with different loads (more pleasure, less business). This will have to be accepted.

Gaza
11th Oct 2001, 14:32
Gaza ... Why unsustainable in the long term???
FR, EZY and GO have made a business out of low fares.... so why should DUB-EDI be any different???

APD = £10
PSC @ EDI = £13.50 (less any discount BAA are giving them at the moment)
Total = £23.50

Go are subsidising each pax by £3.50 and thats before any operating costs are taken in to consideration. FR & GO are operating these routes at a loss at the moment.

I agree that low fares are sustainable in the long term as EZY, GO and FR have proved, but the real question is "how low"? Over the next few months I expect the prices will rise to typical low cost carrier levels.