PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job as a foreigner

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 02:17
I'm not australian nor new zealander, speaking totally different language, meaning that English is not my first language.
I have icao atpl with 2000 tt of which 1500 on 737ng as f/o.
I've always looked forward living overseas with my family in consideration of children education, environment, culture, etc.,
Would it be possible to get a pilot job in oz, if I have my license converted to casa atpl on my own expense and a valid full time work permit?
I just want to raise my kids in a country where kids don't talk about what their parents do for living, income, property...

morno
2nd Oct 2018, 02:32
I just want to raise my kids in a country where kids don't talk about what their parents do for living, income, property...

Isn’t that what kids do? My son loves talking to other kids about his dads planes. Who cares?

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 02:37
Isn’t that what kids do? My son loves talking to other kids about his dads planes. Who cares?

Maybe I'm too sensitive.
Kids here care whether their house is on their own or on rent and judge other kids by their house and cars makes me frustrated and worried.

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 04:01
And what makes you think kids in Australia don’t do that too?

Back to your question, you’ll need to have the right to live and work in Australia or NZ. That usually gets aksed in the online application process.

Really? That’s my impression to kids in australia. Do they have to study till 2 in morning to get a place in uni too? Over-competetive education is another concern.

Anyway provided I can get a working visa on my own not by company sponsoring, do you think australia and nz job market is quite open to foreign f/os?

Flyboy1987
2nd Oct 2018, 05:13
You may find work, you may not.

the chances of getting into a 737 would be slim to none I imagine.

We do however have regional airlines screaming out for pilots to operate their turbo props.

donpizmeov
2nd Oct 2018, 05:35
Going from 800hrs in Feb to 2000hrs now I would suggest you change jobs as soon as you can . That does not sound like a way to live a long happy life.

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 05:55
If you have the right to work in New Zealand or Australia then you will get a fair go at the interview. Simple as that. Many "foreigners" flying in NZ and Oz.

Thank you very much. Cheering comment.

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 05:56
You may find work, you may not.

the chances of getting into a 737 would be slim to none I imagine.

We do however have regional airlines screaming out for pilots to operate their turbo props.

Riding a shiny jet would be the best but turbo prop is another good way to keep my job while living in oz. Many thanks!

avi8safely
2nd Oct 2018, 06:00
Going from 800hrs in Feb to 2000hrs now I would suggest you change jobs as soon as you can . That does not sound like a way to live a long happy life.

Well, exactly 1400 now. I just mentioned some months ahead.

morno
2nd Oct 2018, 06:36
I would suggest having a good look at the minimum requirements for airlines in Australia and NZ. They are generally much higher than the rest of the world, and if all you have is a whole lot of 737 FO time, then you may find it difficult to get a job.

Command time is king in Australia unfortunately.

morno

The Green Goblin
2nd Oct 2018, 06:46
Mate,

Theres a shortage of pilots here that have jet time and can slot into an airline environment quickly.

The standard is quite high and that’s not just what the companies require, but what we require of ourselves.

So the recuritment process can feel like you’re applying to be the next nobel prize winner in the field of something more complicated than aviation.

If you’re keen and want to get to the country and develop your skills and learn. You need to look into skilled migration visas and the companies that are offering them.

The more the merrier. Of course you may bring some cultural insights and skill sets that may also benefit the crews that you work with.

I’d be happy to fly with you

Good luck.

papazulu
2nd Oct 2018, 06:55
Mate,
The standard is quite high and that’s not just what the companies require, but what we require of ourselves.

Oh dear, oh dear...

PZ :hmm:

wheels_down
2nd Oct 2018, 06:56
Recruitment in this country is a strange beast.

Foreigner onto a Jet won’t happen. Its just the reality. They barely hire Aussies from abroad let alone anyone else.

All Jet operators have peculiar ways of hiring. Jetstar has a facination with hiring only from Rex. Tiger has a interest in prop drivers. Qantas seems to only want Astronauts and Virgin well who knows!

The Green Goblin
2nd Oct 2018, 09:13
Oh dear, oh dear...

PZ :hmm:

Well, it’s true.

We do set a high standard for ourselves. We are very conservative pilots and generally our safety record is quite good.

I fly in other parts of the world and generally it’s not so good. In fact, in can be quite exhausting to watch it. Never mind experience it.

Yes we have our moments and stupid local procedures, but we battle on in spite of it.

Im proud to be an austronaught.

gulliBell
2nd Oct 2018, 09:45
Anyway provided I can get a working visa on my own not by company sponsoring...

And which visa might that be?

Buswinker
2nd Oct 2018, 10:07
And which visa might that be?

100% this
the visa will be your biggest challenge

I think (but am not an expert) that an NT 489 visa is basically your only “independent” option. That will limit your employment options somewhat

gulliBell
2nd Oct 2018, 10:47
I think (but am not an expert) that an NT 489 visa is basically your only “independent” option.

Correct. And the only way he can get one of those is to be invited by an eligible relative already living in Australia.

captbod
2nd Oct 2018, 17:52
If you are lucky enough to get a crack at the whip from an Australian/ NZ operator just make sure you’re up to speed regarding their online aptitude assessments. Being a Brit and having previously flown (757) in NZ and Oz I was looking forward to moving down there. After a successful telephone interview with Jetstar NZ for their Dash 8 operation they sent me the link to “Talent Q Elements”. After looking at the girst Question (which I had 60 seconds to complete) I simply turned to my wife and said, “Don’t pack your bags”. I did inform the HR lady when she mentioned aptitude testing that I was 56 and had been out of formal education for nearly 40 years but that didn’t seem to cut me any slack😭. Either the Aussie/ Kiwis are smart cookies or I’m thick as sh1te, probably a bit of both.😂

74world
2nd Oct 2018, 18:08
QantasLink has received the "green light" from the gouvernment to recruit 76 expat pilots (Captains & Instructors).
Those guys will be coming on a 4 years visa (initially), but if they're smart before the visa expires they will simply apply for the full residency and stay !

papazulu
2nd Oct 2018, 18:29
Im proud to be an austronaught.

I find that very reassuring. Now you will excuse me but I am running for cover, aluminium might start to rain any time here on northern planet earth...

I fly in other parts of the world and generally it’s not so good. In fact, in can be quite exhausting to watch it. Never mind experience it.

PZ :E

morno
2nd Oct 2018, 18:42
As a fellow austranaut overseas, I concur. Some of the standards I’ve seen makes me wonder how the aluminium stays in the air. And I’m not just talking minor things either!

In fact some of it is so basic, you have to wonder how they went solo.

Buswinker
2nd Oct 2018, 23:23
Correct. And the only way he can get one of those is to be invited by an eligible relative already living in Australia.

there is a state sponsored stream and a family sponsored stream, or has that been stopped?

gulliBell
2nd Oct 2018, 23:27
there is a state sponsored stream and a family sponsored stream, or has that been stopped?

The OP specifically mentioned he wanted to apply for his own work visa without an employer sponsor.

Buswinker
2nd Oct 2018, 23:53
State sponsorship
family sponsorship
employer sponsorship

are the three different streams (there is independent 189 but not for pilots)

obviously in NT state sponsorship basically is Airnorth but that’s not the same as employer sponsorship

https://www.australiasnorthernterritory.com.au/migrate/migrate-to-work/northern-territory-government-visa-nomination/skilled-nominated-visas

Seagull201
3rd Oct 2018, 06:24
I'm not australian nor new zealander, speaking totally different language, meaning that English is not my first language.
I have icao atpl with 2000 tt of which 1500 on 737ng as f/o.
I've always looked forward living overseas with my family in consideration of children education, environment, culture, etc.,
Would it be possible to get a pilot job in oz, if I have my license converted to casa atpl on my own expense and a valid full time work permit?

The airlines here (OZ), don't sponsor work visas for pilot's from other countries, unless you have Dash 8 experience.

If you really want to come here, it's best for you, to go to OZ embassy in Seoul, and apply for direct permanent residency, to live in Australia.
If you get residency, you can convert your licence to Australian ( It will be quite expensive), you can possibly get a B737/8 F/O job with Air Pacific,
they are frequently advertising, and have a base in Sydney.

If you get Australian residency visa, why don't you stay with your company (i'm sure it's Korean/they have B737/8 aircraft), and you commute from
Australia?
There are 400 foreign nationals working for Korean and commuting worldwide, they have up to 12 days off each month.

If you are on B737/8, i don't understand why you want to come here?
Korean B737/8 pilots, can transfer to B744 after 3 years, it's more money for you and you can be a Captain in next 10 years.

Your other option is to apply for permanent residency AND ASK FOR DARWIN, transfer your family to Darwin and get into Air North on Emb 170 aircraft.
Darwin needs people.

Wishing you well.

Berealgetreal
3rd Oct 2018, 16:14
As someone said your biggest hurdle will be the visa. I have no idea on that matter. As for getting a job on a 737, Qantas have taken some DE FO’s recently as have Virgin. Tiger have 73’s as well. You have as much chance as anyone else, you generally get out of it what you put into it however with QF (being the top dog) you have to get through more testing than the others. I wouldn’t describe people that I’ve seen get into QF as astronauts there’s been a few far from it but they fit the criteria and got in. It’s the most stable and profitable group by far. There is debate on the 737 between conditions QF vs VA. SO Is won by QF. Time to command? Possibly 20+ years at most airlines on a narrow body.

As for the language they will work that out at the interview. You should be aware that Australia can be expensive (SYD MEL) and airline pilots aren’t high earners unless in command at QF or VA. Even then you don’t exactly see Mercs and BMWs in the staff car park. Fo’s I’d say are middle income earners. That’s my take on it, all the best.

JPJP
3rd Oct 2018, 20:25
As a fellow austranaut overseas, I concur. Some of the standards I’ve seen makes me wonder how the aluminium stays in the air. And I’m not just talking minor things either!

In fact some of it is so basic, you have to wonder how they went solo.

I'm a fellow Austronaut (I’ll attach the obligatory flailing at your spelling and punctuation following this post :E, flying overseas. I respectfully disagree. Perhaps you’ve generalized ? Normally, I’m a big fan of the technique. After all, it’s a real time saver.

Speaking of Astronauts - A training centers walls are lined with pilot memorabilia from past and present pilots. It ranges from the strange to the fascinating. Paintings commissioned by the pilot dressed as a Ninja (with sword), to Gulf war etc. flight suits. Numerous pajamas worn in North Vietnamese prison camps. As you walk in the door, there’s an orange space suit. If you lined them up, there would be two. Those are only the Shuttle pilots. It always makes me think of the term Austronaut.

:rolleyes:

Bend alot
5th Oct 2018, 08:06
Visa's to Australia are not a simple thing, even Visitor Visa' can be difficult or even impossible to get.

The only way to get accurate advice on the visas is to use an Australian Registered Migration Agent (the first two digits of their registration number is the year they first became registered) and preferably one based in Australia.

Ringing the Australian embassies or even calling the "immigration department" often results in getting incorrect information. As strange as it may seem these staff members are not qualified to give you advice nor are they accountable when they give wrong advice even if that is in writing.

There are a number of Registered Migration Agents I would recommend.

If you want a general idea of some things to consider, try visit Australia Forum and ask some visa questions there.

Okihara
5th Oct 2018, 22:20
@Avia8safely: Australia is certainly one place to look into but I'd definitely also consider Canada and the US. Good luck to you and cheers to you being a very mindful parent to your kids' welfare.

Buswinker
5th Oct 2018, 22:58
@Bendalot, agree 100%

headlines:
-there are options
-get professional advice

Bend alot
6th Oct 2018, 05:02
This is from a Registered Migration Agent around 6 months ago. I have not used her ( I have used several others) but would recommend her from what I have seen.

This is just to give an idea of what sort of cost it will be to find out what visas you could apply for.

I do offer thorough eligibility assessments over email (with a letter of advice at the end advising you of your options). The fee is $250 AUD and if you choose to use our full visa application service afterwards, the fee is credited to your account.

Flydawg
7th Oct 2018, 01:37
last time I checked Pilots was on the shortage list for Australia, so I would be checking the shortlist' here is a link
https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2017/06/30/your-chance-migrate-australia-new-occupation-list-2017-18-announced

Flydawg
7th Oct 2018, 01:40
Number 99 on the short Term Skilled Occupation List

Buswinker
7th Oct 2018, 01:47
Short term list only really helps you get a short term visa. Which is, by necessity, employer sponsored

came to mind though that there is an angle we haven’t appreciated- what does your spouse/partner do? (Assuming you have one) that might open up some alternative approaches

Bend alot
7th Oct 2018, 01:54
Correct Buswinker the key word being "partner".

StudentInDebt
7th Oct 2018, 08:42
NT government has Aeroplane Pilot on its skilled migration priority list
https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/490335/nt-skilled-occupation-priority-list.pdf

Have a read of their skilled migration website for which permanent residency visas they can sponsor you for. Then do some research on whether or not you would meet the points threshold for one of those visas and if you meet all the pre-requisites for both the state nomination and residency visa. Consider whether you think the expense is really worth it given that you might not be considered qualified enough to pilot a C172 despite thousands of hours of experience.

If you think it is worth it, convert your license to a CASA ATPL, get them to issue you with the requisite work assessment, apply for state nomination and if successful apply for the relevant PR (or regional visa). If it is granted then begin applying for jobs while carefully considering what restrictions you have on where you must live (if you get this far careful reading of your visa grant notice will provide a clue).

A registered migration agent is one way to go but you can do it all yourself with a couple weeks research and access to relevant forums.

nb if you do move to Australia, and in particular the NT, your children will consider your occupation to be a disgrace as their mates’ dads and mums will inevitably earn more than you for what you might consider low-skilled work on mine/gas sites. :)

Capt Fathom
8th Oct 2018, 03:16
The NT government has every occupation on its skilled migration priority list! :}