PDA

View Full Version : Hedges

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2018, 15:43
No, not the financial tool to insure against price changes, but the kind in people's gardens ;-) I walk a lot, and in treading the streets going from here to there it's very obvious that many hedges (and other topiary constructions) impede onto the street pavements, sometimes taking almost half of the pavement space. It doesn't seem like councils are very bothered by this, and more surprising that homeowners leave themselves open to legal action should their plant cause damage or injury to any passerby. A stem in the eye is no fun!

treadigraph
1st Oct 2018, 15:54
I nearly got a thorn in the eye one night... thank god for glasses. I also walk a lot and notice exactly the same problem hereabouts.

I think that if you complain to the council, they will instruct the owner to trim; if they don't comply the council will do the job themselves and bill them.

I've noticed another phenomenon - people with back gardens bordering footpaths often dump detritus over the hedge - grass cutting, clippings, old bits of wood, waste building material, etc. On Sunday I noticed a pile of dog turds heaped up - I don't believe a passing mutt did all those in one go, someone is dumping them over the fence with a spade. How nice!

lomapaseo
1st Oct 2018, 16:00
A stem in the eye is no fun!

and a pruning shear in your pocket is a savior.

I carry a small one in my pocket when walking

treadigraph
1st Oct 2018, 16:03

We'd probably get nicked for carrying an offensive weapon in the UK! :)

gemma10
1st Oct 2018, 16:04
I give the dog a last walk round the block each night before we turn in. There is one proerty with a conker tree and another overhanging tree on to the footpath, and in the dark one night I did get a branch in my eye.

Confronting the owners next day I was told to mind my own business, so I mentioned it to the local council. Still waiting for something to be done.

The only thing I throw over my fence are slugs, as I think we all do.

treadigraph
1st Oct 2018, 16:14
I chuck slugs towards my neighbour's hens, I believe they are quite partial to them.

MadsDad
1st Oct 2018, 16:20
If the hedge/bush/tree whatever is blocking a public right of way (footpath/pavement) write to the local base-level (parish or town) council. They will check the com-plaint and, if justified, write to the owner asking them to trim the offending bushes. If they don't get trimmed the council will do it for them - then send them a bill (this is also mentioned in the letter).

Had to do it once and the system worked perfectly - path usable again.

Saintsman
1st Oct 2018, 16:23
I give the dog a last walk round the block each night before we turn in. There is one proerty with a conker tree and another overhanging tree on to the footpath, and in the dark one night I did get a branch in my eye.

Confronting the owners next day I was told to mind my own business, so I mentioned it to the local council. Still waiting for something to be done.

With that attitude, it seems like a good place to toss your 'doggie bag' every night...

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2018, 16:27
If the hedge/bush/tree whatever is blocking a public right of way (footpath/pavement) write to the local base-level (parish or town) council. They will check the com-plaint and, if justified, write to the owner asking them to trim the offending bushes. If they don't get trimmed the council will do it for them - then send them a bill (this is also mentioned in the letter).

Our Parish Council refers all such complaints to the County Council to deal with, especially as the (Environmental Enforcement) officer responsible lives in the village.

treadigraph
1st Oct 2018, 16:40
Just had a look on the Croydon site. They have a "Don't Mess With Croydon" app to report any problems - road, pavements, dumping, hedges, etc - around the borough, so I am downloading it and will give it a go...

gemma10
1st Oct 2018, 17:12
With that attitude, it seems like a good place to toss your 'doggie bag' every night...

I really don`t understand what attitude you think I have. :confused:

Gordon17
1st Oct 2018, 17:28
I thought he was talking about the tree owner's attitude, not yours.

gemma10
1st Oct 2018, 17:46
Apologies, I read it the wrong way.

Pontius Navigator
1st Oct 2018, 18:00
I complained to the council, by house number, where a hedge closed the footpath. The owner was a most unsavoury slut and even ran a medical practice from home. I a fit of pique he cut the offending Hornbeams back to the stems and dumped the heap of cuttings on his drive. Hedge and cuttings were an eyesore but at least the footpath was open.

Saintsman
1st Oct 2018, 18:01
Yes, gemma10, I was referring to the tree owner's attitude :)

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Oct 2018, 18:07
It doesn't seem like councils are very bothered by this
Councils are bothered by things the councillors are bothered by, and (assuming you don't have a one party state consisting entirely of safe seats) councillors are bothered by things that voters are bothered by.

That's voters who can actually be arsed to vote in local elections, of course, not the 2/3 or so who can't.

TURIN
1st Oct 2018, 18:42
Our Parish council is very active with this sort of thing. They write letters to the owners and if they don't comply then they get it cut and bill them. Its a small village and the local farmers will always trim a roadside hedge for them. For a fee of course. they have been known to name and shame in the local Parish newsletter which always gets the busybodies tut tutting.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2018, 18:54
Some species of hedge do not tolerate 'fierce' cutting as they will not regrow beyond a certain depth.

BirdmanBerry
1st Oct 2018, 19:01
We had a council worker come to our (rented) office and ask about the bush bordering the road and car park. He said it needed trimming back so as not to obstruct the footpath although by that point someone had already started doing it.

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2018, 20:01

I've contemplated doing that very thing, but somehow always forget to do so before leaving home! Then I should contemplate bringing a cordless hedge trimmer for some spontaneous guerrilla pruning ;-)

ShyTorque
1st Oct 2018, 20:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pla06PO6Odk

jimtherev
1st Oct 2018, 22:51
I've certainly had a couple of enforcement notices from Derbyshire County. Only snag is, because there ain't no 13 in our road, and the inspector is counting the back gates (if you see what I mean) it's actually the neighbour's hedge which is the offender.
<smug expression>

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Oct 2018, 23:01
I've certainly had a couple of enforcement notices from Derbyshire County. Only snag is, because there ain't no 13 in our road, and the inspector is counting the back gates (if you see what I mean) it's actually the neighbour's hedge which is the offender.
<smug expression>
Oh dear. It is actually a bit random as to whether a street contains a 13 or not - you can even find adjacent streets on the same estate, one with and one without.

When I was in charge of street naming and numbering in Cambridge (in charge of policy, that is - I didn't have any day to day involvement (unless something went wrong, then it was my fault)) I deliberately refrained from looking up whether we had a policy on the presence or absence of 13s - I'd had enough trouble from the local press over apostrophes in street names.

scr1
2nd Oct 2018, 06:45
Oh dear. It is actually a bit random as to whether a street contains a 13 or not - you can even find adjacent streets on the same estate, one with and one without.

When I was in charge of street naming and numbering in Cambridge (in charge of policy, that is - I didn't have any day to day involvement (unless something went wrong, then it was my fault)) I deliberately refrained from looking up whether we had a policy on the presence or absence of 13s - I'd had enough trouble from the local press over apostrophes in street names.

Slight thread drift but our road has one name on one side and another on the other side

izod tester
2nd Oct 2018, 06:55
When my grandson changed schools from infant to junior I noticed that children were having to detour into the road to pass a hedge which had almost completely blocked the 6ft wide pavement. I took a photograph of it and some other hedges nearby and emailed the local council. When I collected grandson 3 days later the pathway was completely clear.

Private jet
2nd Oct 2018, 12:22
The "problem" is that Councils employ contractors to "trim" the "offending" hedges. A lot of these contractors are the sort of people that got dropped from the bricklaying course at college because they couldn't grasp the theory .... A neat trim back to the boundary? Often it's a massacre, way beyond what is actually needed and from a different perspective is blatant criminal damage. The more "work" these clowns do, the more they can justify their financial reward.

Unless a pavement is genuinely impassable a lot of this is just pandering to the "needs" of local busy-body pedants. Unfortunately these people seem to lack the common sense and idea of give and take that others have.

Councils are bothered by things the councillors are bothered by, and (assuming you don't have a one party state consisting entirely of safe seats) councillors are bothered by things that voters are bothered by.

You forgot to include "things that many councillor's friends and business contacts are bothered by"

BehindBlueEyes
2nd Oct 2018, 12:41
I thought this might be a discussion about the dreaded Leylandii as well.

The man at the bottom of my west facing back garden took out his Leylandii (hooray!) but replaced the barstewards with black bamboo which has grown 12m in ten years! The trunks are around 6cm across which makes them impossible to do anything other than saw through. Even though they were originally enclosed in railways sleepers, they are pushing my fence over and have started to escape into my plot. They are horrible things; they block the afternoon sun and all year around drop these papery leaves. I trim whatever I can that overhangs my land but as they are upright growing, it has little impact.

Ive spoken to him but he says because they are in his garden, nothing will be done,

yotty
2nd Oct 2018, 13:32
https://www.thespruce.com/difference-between-running-bamboos-and-clumping-bamboos-2132862

Pontius Navigator
2nd Oct 2018, 14:22
PJ, when a footpath was designed and built to allow a couple to walk together, a mother with push chair etc and eventually has a beech, hornbeam or privet intruding it is encroaching on public right of way.

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Oct 2018, 15:37
Unless a pavement is genuinely impassable a lot of this is just pandering to the "needs" of local busy-body pedants. Unfortunately these people seem to lack the common sense and idea of give and take that others have.

A pavement is designed for a purpose and when that is negated in part or full by obstructions, then I'd say that that is a case for remedy. Yes, you can turn to the side and get past, yes you can walk on the road, and yes you can cross to the other side of the street. However, you shouldn't have to, it's your (public) right of way, it's a walking path so that those not driving or cycling can be safe. You shouldn't have to 'take' what another 'gives' because they are either too stupid/selfish/uncaring to know better. If you've seen mothers trying to get their prams past obstructions, elderly persons having to cross out into the road to get by and so on, you might see things less in a personal way and more in a global way, that is for the benefit of all. As I mentioned in my OP, I walk a lot, through many differing boroughs and it's far more common than you'd imagine.

Private jet
2nd Oct 2018, 17:35
PJ, when a footpath was designed and built to allow a couple to walk together, a mother with push chair etc and eventually has a beech, hornbeam or privet intruding it is encroaching on public right of way.
A pavement is designed for a purpose and when that is negated in part or full by obstructions, then I'd say that that is a case for remedy.

I have a hedge (about 10ft tall). I thought it would be a practical, albeit pricey, common sense solution to replace it with a wall of the same height. (Therefore NO obstruction to the pavement ever again & no cutting twice a year which itself obstructs the right of way) However a wall over 1 m height requires planning permission. It was not forthcoming. Planning officers recommended approval (i.e they had no objections due to regulations) but it was voted down at commitee, reasons unclear. I suspect my "locally connected" businessman neighbour across the cul de sac had something to do with it though.... (drinks down the Con club, or maybe after a lodge meeting?) just because he preferred looking at greenery rather than bricks?
Local councils. To my mind the biggest nest of corruption & incompetent idiocy I have ever experienced. They make central government look good!

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Oct 2018, 19:49
The "problem" is that Councils employ contractors to "trim" the "offending" hedges. A lot of these contractors are the sort of people that got dropped from the bricklaying course at college because they couldn't grasp the theory .... A neat trim back to the boundary? Often it's a massacre, way beyond what is actually needed and from a different perspective is blatant criminal damage.
The householder is free to avoid this outcome by maintaining their hedge properly in the first place. (If they are both physically and financially incapable of doing so a sensible council will have some way of helping.)
You forgot to include "things that many councillor's friends and business contacts are bothered by"
Not if they're not my residents.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Oct 2018, 00:21
I wonder if Redhill Phil knows the car park next to St John's Hall in Penzance. The edge of the car park adjacent to the road has some lethal plants growing in it with spikes which would take your eye out if you weren't careful.

The car park is owned by the council. I wonder if you could get one part of the council to issue an enforcement notice on another part!

(drinks down the Con club, or maybe after a lodge meeting?) just because he preferred looking at greenery rather than bricks?

Here we go again. Some councillors make a decision that doesn't suit you and you automatically suspect the freemasons are behind it!