View Full Version : Charles Aznavour RIP

NutLoose
1st Oct 2018, 13:57
Another of the greats departed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45709214

sidevalve
1st Oct 2018, 16:30
Well done Nutty..
This (https://tinyurl.com/yaz6cf68) was one of his great songs.. and this (https://tinyurl.com/llhacpg) was another. His career spanned from Edith Piaf to the present day. Few had his ability to put a song across to an audience.

RedhillPhil
1st Oct 2018, 17:24
A true talent. Few could hold a candle to his deliverance of a song.

wiggy
1st Oct 2018, 17:47
Not a fan but he could certainly “hold” a tune.....that’s French TV programming sorted for tonight.....

Hussar 54
1st Oct 2018, 20:31
Not a fan but he could certainly “hold” a tune.....that’s French TV programming sorted for tonight.....

And isn't it, just....

Me too not a fan - I always found him a little 'creepy' but a better than average songwriter and composer in that 'French' sort of way....

RedhillPhil
1st Oct 2018, 21:51
.....even though he was actually Armenian.

B Fraser
1st Oct 2018, 22:14
Aznavour iznomore.

Hussar 54
1st Oct 2018, 22:57

What I meant is that his songs and music are quintessentially French

Hydromet
1st Oct 2018, 23:16
He was a passenger on an Adelaide-Perth flight I was on in 1978. He spent much of the flight chatting to other passengers & signing autographs. He seemed a very friendly, patient and personable man.

Mac the Knife
2nd Oct 2018, 20:52
Spent so much time listening to him, Barbara, Serge Regianni, Leo Ferré, Brel and Brassens.

But as in Thomas Wolfe's book, "You Can't Go Home Again".

{Wolfe apparently took the title from a conversation with the writer Ella Winter, who said to Wolfe: "Don't you know you can't go home again?" Wolfe asked Winter for permission to use the phrase as the title of his book. At the end of the story Webber realizes: "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."}

Sad - those were real adult feelings rather than Twitter inanities

Mac

Falcon Al
3rd Oct 2018, 06:53
Spent so much time listening to him, Barbara, Serge Regianni, Leo Ferré, Brel and Brassens.

But as in Thomas Wolfe's book, "You Can't Go Home Again".

{Wolfe apparently took the title from a conversation with the writer Ella Winter, who said to Wolfe: "Don't you know you can't go home again?" Wolfe asked Winter for permission to use the phrase as the title of his book. At the end of the story Webber realizes: "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."}

Sad - those were real adult feelings rather than Twitter inanities

Mac

Thanks Mac, now that took me back.

sitigeltfel
3rd Oct 2018, 16:17

He was always a French citizen born in France to Armenian immigrants and was awarded Armenian citizenship in 2008 for his political and charity work.
He had a home near here and could often be seen at truffle fairs. An Anglo Armenian friend surprised him at one by speaking to him in the language when we saw him at one of the stands and he was delighted to have a chat, although I didn't have a clue as to what they were saying!

olympus
3rd Oct 2018, 16:54
Saw him live in concert in Beirut back in '70 or '71 and have liked his music ever since. Sorry to hear of his passing.