View Full Version : The running of an airline.......

NewBloke
19th Jun 2001, 15:50
I hope this is not too silly or obvious a question, but I was just wondering what is the best way to learn about the way airlines are managed from a commercial perspective. I would particularly like to gain an overview on why/how/when particular routes/ac are chosen, and also the benefits of code-sharing schemes and alliances. I know it all adds up to financial gain in the end, but I would be interested in the nitty-gritty. I seem to use these terms without fully understanding them !!! Is it simply a case of reading Airline websites and aviation magazines and gradually picking up on the business aspects of relevant organisations !?!? Or are there any books out there !?! Grateful for any help received....

NB.

------------------
"Everything in moderation, including moderation..."

AirScream
19th Jun 2001, 16:30
Howdy, yeah I share your curiosity and have found that there are few sources. I have seen Air Transport Economics in book form for £100 but I hoped for a correspondence course. Eventually found one advertised that had not been written yet but they still offered it. AVTECH open college have been sending out flyers for a course of Air Transport Economics that had a good syllabus list , covering the areas you listed BUT they have been pushing out the same info for at least 5 repeat 5 years yet last year they warned that the course may take some time for them to complete!!! Decided not to bother!

Next option is the Pilots Masters in Air Transport management, it seems to have a good economics module. Whole course is £7k but they may let you do just that module??

I would be interested in any courses you discover. Good luck

[This message has been edited by AirScream (edited 19 June 2001).]

NewBloke
19th Jun 2001, 19:07
ta very much, good info.... I'll let you know if I discover anything else! Cheers.