PDA

View Full Version : Mediums

arthur harbrow
30th Sep 2018, 20:40
Has anyone any experience of mediums?I am largely sceptical, however a friend of my wife had a telephone reading which has proved very accurate.
To my knowledge the medium had no prior information on my wifes friend.Some of the stuff wasn't just generalisations but she foretold her marriage splitting up and two deaths.

andytug
30th Sep 2018, 20:49
My view is that there is a lot that science cannot yet explain, however if there are people out there with the gift of being mediums they are very much lost in the deluge of charlatans doing it for the money.
If any money changes hands I would be extremely sceptical to say the least.
My mother in law did once speak to a lady who told her things about a murder case (infamous locally) that could not possibly have been known at the time, and only came to light several months later. Can't explain that at all.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Sep 2018, 20:54
Can't explain that at all.
I can. If all the mediums out there between them make 1,000,000 predictions then by random chance two or three of them will turn out to be accurate.

Guess which ones you will and won't be told about afterwards?

(First or second statistics lesson.)

treadigraph
30th Sep 2018, 21:03
I also am very sceptical about such things; however on several occasions I have "known" that someone was around the corner when logically I couldn't have known, and I once had a dream about a close friend in great distress - it turned she had been exactly that around the time due to a family death. I've never told her by the way.

Certainly odd; coincidence? Or is there some form of telepathy to which some people are more receptive?

I don't wish to know the future though...

andytug
30th Sep 2018, 21:11
OK here's a similar-ish one, how is it that you know someone is looking at you across a crowded room, even if you aren't looking at them? No one knows the answer to that one either.

Fareastdriver
30th Sep 2018, 21:29
It's called sexual harassment.

It's probably the latest reason.

WestofEMA
30th Sep 2018, 21:49
My experience of mediums are that they are just too tight. I'm much more comfy in XL.

I'll get my coat....

hiflymk3
30th Sep 2018, 21:52
Haha! Well done. But aren't mediums rare?

sitigeltfel
30th Sep 2018, 21:53
My experience of mediums are that they are just too tight. I'm much more comfy in XL.

I'll get my coat....

Billy Connolly said he would take an item of clothing to a shop assistant and ask if it came in Extra Medium.

Dan Dare
30th Sep 2018, 21:58
Mediums or media? If convivial would they be social media?

gileraguy
30th Sep 2018, 22:08
I recall in Don Bennet's (Bomber Command Pathfinder Commander) autobiography, that the ability of a twin to sense that his brother was alive after a crash in Norway was thought provoking.

Pontius Navigator
30th Sep 2018, 22:09
Treadigraph, there is something:

Couldn't meet someone as he had changed plans and would be in town. On the way home I was on the wrong platform. Train came in, door opened, out came my friend.

Or booked a day trip on a boat but it depended on sufficient numbers booking. Day prior, passing tour office debated ringing to check - tour office rang.

Or think sister in Law . . . She rings. Another time, in their car, talking or their son, phone goes, it is son ringing from Malta.

ehwatezedoing
30th Sep 2018, 22:13
Haha! Well done. But aren't mediums rare?
I see what you did there.

But the best person to be in contact with sprits remains...An alcoholic.

WingNut60
30th Sep 2018, 22:21
It's called sexual harassment.

It's probably the latest reason.

I'd have gone for paranoia.

BehindBlueEyes
30th Sep 2018, 22:26
I believe we are all more intuitive than we are aware. After all, for many thousands of years, human beings had to rely on instincts alone. Modern life doesn’t really require them, but we’ve still not quite lost the ability. Haven’t you had that feeling that something isn’t right about a person or situation but you can’t quote put your finger on it? I know for sure I’ve met people and for no reason I’ve taken a dislike, then after a bit, I’ve thought I was mistaken in prejudging them, only to have them behave in such a way later on that made me think my gut feelings were right.

However, I distrust mediums totally. Most people are drawn to them because of a bereavement or an emotional crisis so they are already mentally vulnerable. The law of statistics means that these mediums will get something right occasionally but because of my cynicism, a work colleague persuaded me to attend a spiritualist church. Never seen such conning and deception going on. Average age of the congration was 70+ so by saying I’ve got a message from an Albert, Hilda, Doris, George etc it will strike a chord with someone. The only positive thing I guess it did do was give some of the old people comfort that Albert, Hilda, Doris or George were happy where they are and they forgive the living for whatever happened!

i was particularly close to my late father and I know, if there was anyway he could contact me from wherever he went, he would speak to me, not through some third party.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Sep 2018, 22:34
Average age of the congration was 70+ so by saying I’ve got a message from an Albert, Hilda, Doris, George etc it will strike a chord with someone.
The previous software my party used for recording canvass data etc had a "possibly old" flag that it would set for people with names like that when the DoB wasn't known. This flag could then be used in filters for targeting leaflets about pensions or whatever - like most of this stuff, not entirely accurate, but also not entirely useless.

It flagged an Eleanor I knew as "possibly old", which she, aged 40 or so, found amusing.

pilotmike
30th Sep 2018, 22:47
Has anyone any experience of mediums?I am largely ...
There's always a comedian!

M.Mouse
30th Sep 2018, 23:13
I am an atheist. Many years ago I had a lodger who attended a Spiritualist church. One evening we visited the couple who ran said church. The chap was sitting next to me and in the middle of innocuous conversation described an older woman and described a mannerism which my grandmother had. Neither my lodger nor this couple knew anything of my grandmother and no money changed hands. To this day it has me puzzled. And before anybody starts he was very specific about certain things and in no way was he generalising and homing in on information I was giving him simply because I said very little!

Out of curiosity I went with the same lodger to see Doris Stokes at Wimbledon. In my view she was a complete fake but a consummate performer . Even my spiritualist lodger thought she was fake!

racedo
30th Sep 2018, 23:29
Lady walks into a bar and say "I am a Medium"..........

Barman quick as a flash says "More like an extra large there love"

Coat, hat, exit......................

Krystal n chips
1st Oct 2018, 06:31
I believe we are all more intuitive than we are aware. After all, for many thousands of years, human beings had to rely on instincts alone. Modern life doesn’t really require them, but we’ve still not quite lost the ability. Haven’t you had that feeling that something isn’t right about a person or situation but you can’t quote put your finger on it? I know for sure I’ve met people and for no reason I’ve taken a dislike, then after a bit, I’ve thought I was mistaken in prejudging them, only to have them behave in such a way later on that made me think my gut feelings were right.

However, I distrust mediums totally. Most people are drawn to them because of a bereavement or an emotional crisis so they are already mentally vulnerable. The law of statistics means that these mediums will get something right occasionally but because of my cynicism, a work colleague persuaded me to attend a spiritualist church. Never seen such conning and deception going on. Average age of the congration was 70+ so by saying I’ve got a message from an Albert, Hilda, Doris, George etc it will strike a chord with someone. The only positive thing I guess it did do was give some of the old people comfort that Albert, Hilda, Doris or George were happy where they are and they forgive the living for whatever happened!

i was particularly close to my late father and I know, if there was anyway he could contact me from wherever he went, he would speak to me, not through some third party.

I can concur with your first paragraph. This instinct, has, generally served me well over the years.

There again, I've never made any secret of the fact I believe only the body dies, the spirit and soul remain . Far too many encounters with what is termed, and invariably dismissed by those who prefer to think science as we know it can provide all the answers, the paranormal

The above being totally separate from those who seem to have had an amazing number of bizarre coincidences in their life.

My partner has visited mediums and found them to be more than accurate when describing events in her life.....without any prior knowledge or attempts to elicit information.

Bee Rexit
1st Oct 2018, 12:53
I had a session booked with a clairvoyant but she called and cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances".

racedo
1st Oct 2018, 13:01
I had a session booked with a clairvoyant but she called and cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances".

She knew you were tight with paying ..............

Trossie
1st Oct 2018, 13:07
Should the title not rather be "Media"?

I agree with Dan.

Stan Woolley
1st Oct 2018, 17:26
I can concur with your first paragraph. This instinct, has, generally served me well over the years.

There again, I've never made any secret of the fact I believe only the body dies, the spirit and soul remain . Far too many encounters with what is termed, and invariably dismissed by those who prefer to think science as we know it can provide all the answers, the paranormal

The above being totally separate from those who seem to have had an amazing number of bizarre coincidences in their life.

My partner has visited mediums and found them to be more than accurate when describing events in her life.....without any prior knowledge or attempts to elicit information.

When I saw the title of the thread I feared the worst! However I’m pleasantly surprised at the number of reasonable replies the thread has received. I find that as long as you don’t talk about a ‘religious god’ that you don’t get into heavy automatic responses, but that people are much more open to all sorts of things.

I’ve no personal experience of mediums giving me information that I found useful, but I have certainly heard from people who have.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

arthur harbrow
18th Oct 2018, 18:49
My dear lady friend paid for 2 tickets to see a medium at a theatre.
This particular man bounced onto the stage and was full of himself, I immediately took a dislike to him.
However, some of the details he came out with to people in the audience were very impressive.How do they do this?

Pontius Navigator
18th Oct 2018, 19:01
AH, ringers?

On a cruise saw a professional pick pocket. He took this man's wristwatch on the way to the stage. It is not easy to undo some watches. He removed a man's shirt while he still wore his jacket. How?
​​​​​

andytug
18th Oct 2018, 21:17
AH, ringers?

On a cruise saw a professional pick pocket. He took this man's wristwatch on the way to the stage. It is not easy to undo some watches. He removed a man's shirt while he still wore his jacket. How?
​​​​​
Ringers again. Pick someone with a watch easily removed, and it is possible to put a shirt on under a jacket in a way so it looks normal but is really almost off - remember seeing it in a child's magic book. All you need is the front and the cuffs to show.

Nervous SLF
18th Oct 2018, 23:14
SWMBO and her friend suggested that I went along with them to see a chap in a large conference room
at a local Holiday Inn hotel. We sat at the back well out of the way and within 2 minutes he zeroed in on
me and told everyone things about my Father that I had not even told SWMBO.

Perhaps I give off some signals as I now fully admit to have seen strange unexplained lights in the night sky.
I no longer call them U.F.O.'s even though they are as a few moronic people instantly think of little green men.
Why they think that I can't grasp but in the end I know what I have seen and they weren't with me so they have
no idea.

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2018, 00:28
Couldn't meet someone as he had changed plans and would be in town. On the way home I was on the wrong platform. Train came in, door opened, out came my friend.

That is a common instance of why some people attach significance to events such as you describe. What you have to factor in is the hundreds of times you have been waiting for a train and a friend hasn't come out. Statisticians will tell you there is no significance in events such as these which are bound to happen from time to time

double_barrel
19th Oct 2018, 10:17
This particular man bounced onto the stage and was full of himself, I immediately took a dislike to him.
However, some of the details he came out with to people in the audience were very impressive.How do they do this?

Two main tools:

1. The Barnum effect
2. Cheating - various well documented methods

I have a friend who does a stunningly impressive palm reading. I have watched her amaze and horrify people by the accuracy of her readings. At the end she says - of course its all trickery. The response in her victims is very interesting. If they have been taken-in by the fake reading, they will never just laugh it off, they will always want to talk about how amazing it was and tell her that she must have some real hidden power.

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2018, 10:32
James Randi used to make a thing of replicating many of the charlatan Uri Geller's feats of "magic", before then informing the participants that it had all been done by trickery. Many became almost aggressive, insisting that Randi must have psychic powers. I understand that a prize of $10,000 or some such sum which Randi offered to anyone who could perform one of Geller's tricks under carefully controlled conditions was never paid out

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2018, 10:45
That is a common instance of why some people attach significance to events such as you describe. What you have to factor in is the hundreds of times you have been waiting for a train and a friend hasn't come out. Statisticians will tell you there is no significance in events such as these which are bound to happen from time to time
I can't argue against that but it was an incredible number of pieces of Swiss cheese to align.

The only ESP aspect, I would possibly believe, is that I went to the wrong platform and stood at that particular spot. Ideally we should also know what prompted my friend to choose that train at that time and that carriage.

Hokulea
19th Oct 2018, 10:56

Arthur - it's a well-known technique; the cold read.

https://youtu.be/0iBwhgbFvnw
https://youtu.be/2EBqlpJb1Xg

Many years ago, and this is online somewhere, I used the technique of cold reading to provide someone with an astrological reading. That person thought my reading was accurate and professional astrologers said my reading was indistinguishable from one given by a professional astrologer.

I urge everyone to think more critically and not just resort to believing that something you may not be able to explain has to be due to some mysterious power. It's so much easier to understand things as your brain or someone else trying to fool you.

Stan Woolley
19th Oct 2018, 11:31
It’s interesting how many of you appear to worship at the altar of James Randi, if he was an honourable man, I might understand this. He was a self-confessed charlatan.

James Randi Reneges on the Randi Prize » Skeptical About Skeptics (http://www.skepticalaboutskeptics.org/investigating-skeptics/whos-who-of-media-skeptics/james-randi/james-randi-reneges-on-the-randi-prize/)

Hokulea
19th Oct 2018, 12:02
It’s interesting how many of you appear to worship at the altar of James Randi, if he was an honourable man, I might understand this. He was a self-confessed charlatan.Randi wasn't a charlatan, that's a claim that many have made but mostly from those he caught out. And it's not worship, it's a claim made by those who hated his ability to show how the real charlatans, those claiming psychic powers, made their money. He was careful to always call himself an illusionist rather than a magician as he never used magic. He also never gave away the tricks genuine illusionists used. But he was more than happy to expose the methods used by the real charlatans - those that would take money from their innocent and gullible victims by dishonestly tricking them.

Stan Woolley
19th Oct 2018, 13:11
Randi wasn't a charlatan, that's a claim that many have made but mostly from those he caught out. And it's not worship, it's a claim made by those who hated his ability to show how the real charlatans, those claiming psychic powers, made their money. He was careful to always call himself an illusionist rather than a magician as he never used magic. He also never gave away the tricks genuine illusionists used. But he was more than happy to expose the methods used by the real charlatans - those that would take money from their innocent and gullible victims by dishonestly tricking them.

I watched a documentary about Randi and he was definitely an interesting person, but I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

“One better known complainant was Dr Rupert Sheldrake (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1528150/Festival-attacked-over-paranormal-nonsense.html), the Cambridge biologist whose controversial idea of morphic resonance allows for the theoretical existence of ESP. To test his notion, Sheldrake ran a number of studies on a dog that seemed to know when its owner was coming home.

Following a burst of publicity for Sheldrake, Randi told a journalist, “We at JREF have tested these claims. They fail.” But when I met Sheldrake, at his Hampstead home, he made a serious charge. “Randi’s a liar and a cheat,” he said. “When I asked him for the data, he had to admit he hadn’t done any tests.””

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11270453/James-Randi-debunking-the-king-of-the-debunkers.html

SpannerInTheWerks
19th Oct 2018, 16:19
I never considered 'Mediums' as being anything more than a fun fair attraction under the guise of 'Gipsy Rose Lee'.

Until I met my current wife.

She has regularly had readings over the years and visits them particularly in times of stress and crisis.

The first time I was mentioned in a reading was some six months before my wife and I met.

My wife was told that she would 'meet a Virgo in Scotland within the next year'. My wife had never visited Scotland, had no intention to and knew no one there.

In January 2006 I took a job flying out of Edinburgh - I met my wife on an internet dating site shortly afterwards. Needless to say I am a Virgo and my wife came to visit me in Scotland.

Other unexplained readings have resulted since over the past twelve years.

Mediums never tell you bad news.

How much does all this cost?

Nothing if you go to a genuine Medium in many cases - all some ask is a donation to charity because they believe their 'gift' is a blessing to be shared.

There are different 'levels' of Medium, depending on their insight, I have been told. My wife has tried several ladies over the years. I've never heard of male Mediums interestingly.

Do I believe? - well I find it all very interesting, but because it is impossible to explain I find it all hard to reconcile. There is no disputing the 'readings'. Everything from birth to death and most things in between have been revealed to my wife - most have come true.

Most 'Mediums' allow you to record the proceedings and it has been interesting listening to some of the words.

My wife doesn't tell me everything though and some things I wish my wife had never been told ... !!!

TURIN
20th Oct 2018, 00:28
It is all cold reading with a bit of coincidence thrown in.
Was your wife ever told she would meet a Taurus in Manchester or a Scorpio in Bristol?
People only latch on to the stuff that comes true or fits their view. They ignore all the guff.
Clairvoyants don't win the lottery for the same reason faith healers don't work in hospitals.

Stan Woolley
20th Oct 2018, 08:49
Interesting post Slow and Curious :ok:

Mac the Knife
20th Oct 2018, 11:04
23 people. In a room of just 23 people there’s a 50-50 chance of two people having the same birthday. In a room of 75 there’s a 99.9% chance of two people matching. See: https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

See also Michael Schermer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_People_Believe_Weird_Things and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_jwq9ph8k

Mac

Stan Woolley
20th Oct 2018, 12:40
I bet this isn’t on Michael Shermer’s CV. Debunkers like him just ignore any evidence that points elsewhere than their dogmatic beliefs.

https://youtu.be/uhMsyfhMLH8

Stan Woolley
20th Oct 2018, 13:06
Even Shermer was a doubter for a while - probably until he realised how costly in might be for him. ;)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/anomalous-events-that-can-shake-one-s-skepticism-to-the-core/

Hokulea
20th Oct 2018, 14:31
I bet this isn’t on Michael Shermer’s CV. Debunkers like him just ignore any evidence that points elsewhere than their dogmatic beliefs.

With respect, Stan, if that video is something you consider strong evidence for the validity of astrology, then I am extremely disappointed in your ability to determine reality and flat out nonsense. Please see post #33 in this thread. Also, where in that video did they describe the method by which they determined accuracy? It was like watching that old Fox documentary where they "proved" the moon landings never happened.

I do find it scary that so many more people seem to believe in utter nonsense than ever before, and it's all to do with the internet making it too easy for con-artists and those who want to make an easy buck to scam the gullible.

Stan Woolley
20th Oct 2018, 15:03
With respect, Stan, if that video is something you consider strong evidence for the validity of astrology, then I am extremely disappointed in your ability to determine reality and flat out nonsense. Please see post #33 in this thread. Also, where in that video did they describe the method by which they determined accuracy? It was like watching that old Fox documentary where they "proved" the moon landings never happened.

I do find it scary that so many more people seem to believe in utter nonsense than ever before, and it's all to do with the internet making it too easy for con-artists and those who want to make an easy buck to scam the gullible.

On it’s own, it’s not strong evidence, but it was enough to shut Shermer up.

Can’t you see that your mind is just as closed as any religious person that is determined that something in the bible is true? Why are you so convinced that your opinion is right? Actually, I am an agnostic when it comes to most things esoteric, I am open to people being allowed to have beliefs in things I know nothing about.

Tell me Hokulea, what do you really know about astrology? How much time have you invested in investigating it?

I used to fly airliners, I examined pilots. I no longer can, so I can say what I like. Your posts just discourage different opinions from being expressed from people that may have something interesting to say, or that have experienced something of interest. I find that rather arrogant.

Hokulea
20th Oct 2018, 15:58
Tell me Hokulea, what do you really know about astrology? How much time have you invested in investigating it?
I used to fly airliners, I examined pilots. I no longer can, so I can say what I like. Your posts just discourage different opinions from being expressed from people that may have something interesting to say, or that have experienced something of interest. I find that rather arrogant.

1) I read and learned enough about astrology to use professional astrologers' own techniques to fool them and those that believed in their readings.

2) I really don't care if you used to be a pilot. It's irrelevant unless you think astrology and other pseudo-sciences have something to do with flight. If that's the case the pilots you trained and passengers you flew should have been very scared.

3) As usual, with those that dislike any skepticism about their beliefs, they try to change the discussion from something evidence-based to attacking those with a different opinion and science on their side. Sorry, I've been doing this sort of stuff for decades and have often been accused of discouraging those with whacky ideas to remain silent. Not only is that nonsense, it's actually the other way round. Paranormalists, astrologers, mediums, psychics, conspiracy theorists of all sorts etc are those that try and shut down rational replies. You seem to want to join that list.

I have been sued only one time in my life and it was by an astrologer after I showed his predictions were wrong and cost people money. Guess who won the lawsuit?

SpannerInTheWerks
20th Oct 2018, 16:01
Was your wife ever told she would meet a Taurus in Manchester or a Scorpio in Bristol?

Nope.

Seven years or so ago a Medium told my wife that I would fly again in a white and blue aeroplane - I have had a share in a blue and white PA28 since 2014.

Now obviously the chance of her guessing white and blue as opposed to red and white or any other common aircraft colours are pretty good.

But you have to remember my wife never told the Medium that I was a pilot and flew aeroplanes at all ...

Mediums never ask questions, they do all the talking as my wife's recordings show.

I'm very sceptical to be honest, but there are a number of instances where the Medium has been spot on. The jury is out because as people have said why can't the lottery numbers be seen?

I have no idea, but that kind of foresight isn't what serious Mediums seem to be about - it's more about connecting with loved ones who have passed on and life changes.

Most Christians I've met think it's a load of poppycock even though, from my perspective, there isn't much difference between Christian beliefs and those of Spiritualists.

Who knows?

double_barrel
20th Oct 2018, 19:20

What a shame. For a minute there I thought they were going to do a real experiment, albeit with n=2.

If they had kept it blind, so that they didn't say 'and now here is your real horoscope' it would have had some value. Doing that at reasonable scale, with everyone blinded and randomly allocated 'real' and 'swapped' horoscopes would have helped to control-out the problem with the meaningless % accuracy score. As it was, pretty useless I am afraid.

It's amusing when people accuse skeptics of having closed minds. I will allow for the possibility of anything from Santa Clause to water divining - but is it closed minded to ask for objective evidence before abandoning reason and 'believing'? I am still waiting for someone to say 'science doesn't know everything'. I had a premonition that was going to appear in this thread.

Stan Woolley
20th Oct 2018, 21:55
1) I read and learned enough about astrology to use professional astrologers' own techniques to fool them and those that believed in their readings.

2) I really don't care if you used to be a pilot. It's irrelevant unless you think astrology and other pseudo-sciences have something to do with flight. If that's the case the pilots you trained and passengers you flew should have been very scared.

3) As usual, with those that dislike any skepticism about their beliefs, they try to change the discussion from something evidence-based to attacking those with a different opinion and science on their side. Sorry, I've been doing this sort of stuff for decades and have often been accused of discouraging those with whacky ideas to remain silent. Not only is that nonsense, it's actually the other way round. Paranormalists, astrologers, mediums, psychics, conspiracy theorists of all sorts etc are those that try and shut down rational replies. You seem to want to join that list.

I have been sued only one time in my life and it was by an astrologer after I showed his predictions were wrong and cost people money. Guess who won the lawsuit?

The only reason I told you about what I did was because I remembered your post from the ESP thread, and thought it ridiculous when you wrote :
“It scares me that some people here actually believe in ESP and might even be pilots that fly me around the world.”

I don’t give a monkeys what you or anyone else thinks about my ‘beliefs’. I definitely do care about the type of thinking you express when you appear to doubt people’s abilities to do the a job simply because they know something or even think that they know something that you ‘think’ is nonsense. What difference does it make to you? Live and let live.

Hokulea
21st Oct 2018, 13:41
The only reason I told you about what I did was because I remembered your post from the ESP thread, and thought it ridiculous when you wrote :
“It scares me that some people here actually believe in ESP and might even be pilots that fly me around the world.”

I don’t give a monkeys what you or anyone else thinks about my ‘beliefs’. I definitely do care about the type of thinking you express when you appear to doubt people’s abilities to do the a job simply because they know something or even think that they know something that you ‘think’ is nonsense. What difference does it make to you? Live and let live.
It scares me because I might be a passenger on a plane that is captained by someone who can't think rationally. Lose communications over the Atlantic? It's normal, Mercury is retrograde. That's what astrology will tell you.

Stan Woolley
21st Oct 2018, 14:19
It scares me because I might be a passenger on a plane that is captained by someone who can't think rationally.

Who do you think can/can’t think rationally?

Christians who presumably believe in the resurrection ? flat earthers? Muslims who believe in the 74 virgins?, wife beaters that act normally at work?, people who believe that nukes are sensible? people that believe in reincarnation?( that’s the majority of the humans on earth), alcoholics? Believers in UFOs?, People that are dogmatic about science?etcetc

I suspect that I’ve flown (as crew) with people in each of these categories and count myself in at least one.

Don’t you agree that it’s a slippery slope...? I think we can possibly all be described as a bit daft. (Humans not pilots) Best not worry about what goes on in people’s heads, if they passed their checks they’re probably competent. :ooh:

TURIN
21st Oct 2018, 15:22
There is no actual „proof“ either way. You choose to believe, or not to.

Actually there is lots of proof. Mediums, Clarevoyants, Astrologers are one and all chareletons. They make it up. Much of it based on divised method and cold reading techniques. The idea, for instance, that my future, and everyone with my birth date, is decided by how the stars and planets are aligned, is utter nonsense. Prof. Brian Cox has some choice words on the subject.....

Astrology is Rubbish (https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/jan/24/1)

double_barrel
21st Oct 2018, 16:35
Mediums, Clarevoyants, Astrologers are one and all chareletons.

I would not entirely agree with you on that. Some truly seem to believe their own nonsense. I saw a beautifully designed experiment to investigate water divining - it's somewhere out there on the web. What struck me was that many practitioners genuinely seemed to believe that they could detect water. Even when the conditions of the experiment was carefully explained, they were completely confident that they would demonstrate their ability. When they failed under experimental conditions they were puzzled and embarrassed. Many came-up with excuses such as interference from the cameras. I felt genuinely sorry for some of them who had their bubble burst.

Tigger4Me
21st Oct 2018, 18:39
I was also a sceptic until an experience with a well known UK medium, Doris Stokes, who is now sadly passed over. I had lost my son at a very young age and went to a local theatre where Doris was appearing. She zeroed in on me and my wife, but we did not respond. She wouldn't give up, saying she had a young boy with her who insisted his parents were in the audience. She said his presence and insistence were so strong, she was not able to go any further without his parents acknowledgment. We went forward but, because of our scepticism, we only responded with yes or no answers and did not volunteer any information. In the following session, Doris told us so many very personal details about Timmy that left me in no doubt that there was definitely something going on that we could not understand or explain.

On another occasion, my sister was looking after her very young grandson when he suddenly started crying and shouting, "Ganny" over and over. Ganny was his pet name for his great grandad and my sister became so concerned she tried to call our father to see if he could calm the young lad down. The phone went unanswered and we later found out that dad had passed away earlier and around the time that the lad started shouting.

ex_matelot
21st Oct 2018, 20:12
I can't explain this but - I knew the exact moment my grandad died. I was on weekend leave at the time and In a club. I suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling of sadness at around 9pm, such that I'd never experienced before. I phoned my mum and said "Mum...I'm not going to see grandad again am I?"
She responded with:"Don't be daft...!"

I was on weekend leave and was crashing at hers. As my taxi pulled up at 06:30 she came to the front door....

When I found out my grandma had died, I had been up all night at a houseparty, and a very niche dance track was playing...not one from the charts or anything. It was 'Everyday' by Agnelli &Nelson in case anyone is interested.
On more than one occasion, when I've been back 'oop north.... it's been played on the car radio, or I have heard it being played by someone else. It's not exactly a common/popular track. I like to think It's my gran saying "I'm still about you know".

John Marsh
21st Oct 2018, 23:10
Yes, there are fishermen and women aplenty. Cold reading is indeed profitable.

Which makes the 'no charge' mediums all the more attractive.

Moonbat mode ON/
There is not just a single path laid out ahead of each of us. There are numerous probabilities - different courses of action and events (same thing really), each of which spawns further probabilities.

Psychics can sense the probabilities immediately ahead. It is a common error for a probability to be mis-stated as a prediction.

The client then attaches high import to this information, consciously or sub-consciously. And then acts to bring it about.

Believe psychics if you wish. But don't put them in charge!:)
/Moonbat mode OFF

mickjoebill
23rd Oct 2018, 12:29
No proof, despite:
Billions of people on the planet
Now, with billions of cameras and audio recorders to hand.
Billions of CCTV cameras.

mjb

Ancient Observer
23rd Oct 2018, 17:20
A good friend of mine from skool recently fell out of a tree, and did some damage to his head.
I intuited that it had happened through the Medium of Facebook.

Nervous SLF
24th Oct 2018, 04:21
Just because we don‘t understand or see certain ongoings, doesn‘t proof they don‘t happen or exist.:rolleyes:

Isn't that what Religious people tell us when they tell us about their "God"?

Ascend Charlie
24th Oct 2018, 04:58
I saw a beautifully designed experiment to investigate water divining -

Double Barrel, that one was from our larrikin adventurer and solo round-the-world chopper pilot, Dick Smith. He is a serious sceptic, and offered a LARGE amount of money if anybody could prove their claimed skill. None did.

Hokulea
24th Oct 2018, 12:01
Just because we don‘t understand or see certain ongoings, doesn‘t proof they don‘t happen or exist.:rolleyes:True. There has been a massive explosion in the Pacific this evening and no-one knows whats caused it. Tsunami buoys are on alert but no waves yet.

Teevee
24th Oct 2018, 13:01
Some people just seem to have an affinity with other people or feeling for future events that defies rational explanation. Any theory is just that, a theory not a hard and fast explanation. And debunkers can be just as big a frauds as those they claim to debunk. After all most of them have an agenda too. I think professional mediums are generally con merchants. Don't know why but I dislike them intensely. On the other hand I've come across the odd very rare person who has demonstrated what we might call the real gifts of a medium. That wasn't what made me thnk they might be genuine though. What made me think they might be genuine was that on the whole they didn't like talking about it, certainly didn't make money out of it, and could at times seem a little frightened of it themselves.