PDA

View Full Version : Journalistic standards

WingNut60
29th Sep 2018, 17:26
From USA Today

Fossils of a new, giant species of dinosaur have been discovered in South Africa, a study (https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(18)30993-X) published Thursday reports.The creature, which lived some 200 million years ago, was about twice the size of a modern-day African elephant. It was also the largest land animal alive on the planet at that time, according to the study.
Known by the Latin name Ledumahadi mafube, it weighed over 26,000 pounds and stood about 13 feet high at the hips.

Now I did not take Latin at school. French and German yes, Latin no.

But I'd be prepared to bet that Ledumahadi mafube is not Latin.
It may be its scientific classification, but it's not its Latin Name.

pulse1
29th Sep 2018, 17:33
Apparently Ledumahadi Mafube means "a giant thunderclap at dawn" in the Sesutho language - at least that's according to another journalist (Independent)

2 sheds
29th Sep 2018, 18:05
Apparently Ledumahadi Mafube means "a giant thunderclap at dawn" in the Sesutho language - at least that's according to another journalist (Independent)

........Q E D

treadigraph
29th Sep 2018, 18:17
A giant thunderclap at dawn is how I like to begin my day.

racedo
29th Sep 2018, 23:54
USA Today and Journalistic standards in same post........................... there is a first, didn't relalise they knew of each others existence.

finfly1
30th Sep 2018, 00:48
Recently, "journalistic standards" is an oxymoron.

Cat3508
30th Sep 2018, 01:40
" in the Sesutho language -" The correct spelling is actually "Sesotho"

India Four Two
30th Sep 2018, 02:53
At least they got the first letter correct! It should be Linnaean name.

Tankertrashnav
30th Sep 2018, 12:09
in the Sesutho language -" The correct spelling is actually "Sesotho"

There are many examples of words like this which are transliterations into English where the spelling changes over time. Thus the Koran appears to be called the Quran, or even the Qu'ran now (what's that apostrophe all about?), Mao Tse Tung became Mao Ze Dong, Calcutta is now Kolkata etc. In all cases the original words haven't changed, just some academic somewhere has decided that their way of transliterating is better.

On the other hand I notice that my local Chinese hasn't yet started doing Beijing duck!

Nemrytter
30th Sep 2018, 12:48
just some academic somewhere has decided that their way of transliterating is better. I believe that's called "progess". It's why most of us (Daily Mail readers excluded, of course) are no longer neanderthals.

WingNut60
30th Sep 2018, 13:21
Most nineteenth century (or earlier) attempts at transliteration fell very wide of the mark.
Most current systems of transliteration are just as bad or worse.

Try transliterating กรุงเทพมหานคร
You could try saying Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, but you would still not be understood by a native Thai speaker.

Thank god the Thais are still happy calling it Bangkok.
And thank him again that they don't want you to use the full name:- Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

DaveReidUK
30th Sep 2018, 14:11
Thus the Koran appears to be called the Quran, or even the Qu'ran now (what's that apostrophe all about?)

It's actually the Qur'an, not the Qu'ran. The apostrophe signifies, in this case, a glottal stop which practically guarantees that no native English speaker will be able to pronounce it correctly. :O

flash8
30th Sep 2018, 23:03
I find the major news sites often littered with minor spelling and grammatical mistakes, reflecting I suspect an overall fall in the quality of journalism over the last few decades. The quality of the "Red Tops"* in the 90's were better than the broadsheet* rubbish we see today. Standards have not been maintained.

*For the benefit of non-UK readers, red top are aimed at primarily working class/uneducated masses being slightly sensationalist (have red front-page headers, similar to the NY Post in content?) whereas broadsheets (reflecting I believe the original size of the paper) were allegedly for the more refined middle classes and above. Naturally I read the red tops myself....

G-CPTN
30th Sep 2018, 23:12
I find the major news sites often littered with minor spelling and grammatical mistakes, reflecting I suspect an overall fall in the quality of journalism over the last few decades. Standards have not been maintained.
I agree - I don't know whether it is a decline in basic English or just laziness and allowing autocorrect programmes to alter text without the writer checking that the finished article reflects their intentions.

And not just the major news sites (although they should know better) but also the the local newspaper articles are littered with grammatical errors or just typos - indicating a lack of proof-reading.

reynoldsno1
1st Oct 2018, 00:05
hank god the Thais are still happy calling it Bangkok.
But they don't - they call it Krung Thep when speaking amongst themselves.- or at least mrsr1's family & friends do.

WingNut60
1st Oct 2018, 02:25
But they don't - they call it Krung Thep when speaking amongst themselves.- or at least mrsr1's family & friends do.

Sorry, should have said "Happy with US calling it Bangkok"

Got very confused coming back from Hua Hin once, looking for Bangkok (in Thai) on the road signs.
Could make out the "ng" letter in the middle, but it just didn't look right.

Finally worked out the Krung Thep once back at the hotel.

treadigraph
1st Oct 2018, 11:10
I agree - I don't know whether it is a decline in basic English or just laziness and allowing autocorrect programmes to alter text without the writer checking that the finished article reflects their intentions.

And not just the major news sites (although they should know better) but also the the local newspaper articles are littered with grammatical errors or just typos - indicating a lack of proof-reading.

I'd suggest that all too often it's simply the rush to be the first to get the news on to the web. Not checking spelling and grammar is only the beginning; facts often appear a little wayward too.

Tankertrashnav
1st Oct 2018, 11:13
It's actually the Qur'an, not the Qu'ran. The apostrophe signifies, in this case, a glottal stop which practically guarantees that no native English speaker will be able to pronounce it correctly.

Thanks for the correction about the position of the apostrophe, I rather thought it might be something to do with glottal stops. Half of the UK population seems to use the glottal stop now, which drives me mad, even my Oxford educated daughter tells me she lives in No'ingham :*

As you imply all of these attempts to reproduce the original pronunciation by transliteration are doomed to failure, as are misguided attempts to imitate foreign words. As an example I will always pronounce "trait" as written, and find that most English speakers' attempts to say "tray" come out as something you carry your drinks on, and nothing like how a Frenchman would say it.

Doctor Cruces
1st Oct 2018, 13:31
There are no journalistic standards any more, anything goes including if there is no story, make it up.

TWT
1st Oct 2018, 13:43
Correct Doctor Druces.

There's no money in it anymore, many experienced journalists have been let go and there's very

few sub-editors and minimal or zero proof reading.

Advertising dollars are increasingly being spent with the likes of Google and Facebook rather than

traditional news outlets.

Ascend Charlie
2nd Oct 2018, 05:36
The pre-schoolers that the TV stations hire to do the news banners underneath the talking heads are also tragic. Wrongly spelling simple worms, getting Ronnie Farker's name wrong, it all leads to a spoach impodiment. And it's good evening from him.

Krystal n chips
2nd Oct 2018, 05:51
Correct Doctor Druces.

There's no money in it anymore, many experienced journalists have been let go and there's very

few sub-editors and minimal or zero proof reading.

Advertising dollars are increasingly being spent with the likes of Google and Facebook rather than

traditional news outlets.

Not entirely, at least not here in the UK.

Click onto any of the local rags sites and you will get a question as to your postcode, followed by a survey which does have a skip option, probably as a grudging afterthought, and a "helpful " video offering advice such as to "what to do if you have a car crash " or " what to do if you have a fire " or whatever the news topic is ...all surrounded by adverts / banners ....... somewhere inbetween, you will eventually find the minimal amount of news .

treadigraph
2nd Oct 2018, 08:11
Not entirely, at least not here in the UK.

Click onto any of the local rags sites and you will get a question as to your postcode, followed by a survey which does have a skip option, probably as a grudging afterthought, and a "helpful " video offering advice such as to "what to do if you have a car crash " or " what to do if you have a fire " or whatever the news topic is ...all surrounded by adverts / banners ....... somewhere inbetween, you will eventually find the minimal amount of news .

Indeed - and astonishingly the same news group's concept of "local news for Croydon" has spread to include many of the neighbouring boroughs and even as far afield as Crawley. Slow news day? Then our local hacks regale us with such delights as the "10 best pubs in Croydon" (really?), "10 things we all hate about Croydon" (the regular denigration of a local fried chicken take away is potentially libelous, though probably accurate - and why not "10 reasons why we all hate Croydon"?).