PDA

View Full Version : East Enders

dook
27th Sep 2018, 19:31
I have just heard that the theme tune to East Enders is more well-known in the UK than the national anthem.

The country is full of uneducated morons.

treadigraph
27th Sep 2018, 19:36
I thought it was the National Anthem... :\

sitigeltfel
27th Sep 2018, 20:55
I thought it was the National Anthem... :\

Amar Shonar Bangla?

jimtherev
27th Sep 2018, 22:45
Couple of years ago I included a 'name that sig tune' round, in a quiz. Even more well known, I suggest - at least in the UK - is the Coronation St. tune. I only played the first chord - everyone in the room got it.

treadigraph
28th Sep 2018, 00:43
Amar Shonar Bangla?

Isn't that Far East Enders?

Tankertrashnav
28th Sep 2018, 00:50

Question on University Challenge this week referred to a presentation to the wife of the US president by King Albert in 1919. "King Albert of where?" was the question. Much muttering among the team members produced the answer:

"England?"

:ugh:

Nervous SLF
28th Sep 2018, 05:59
I annoy SWMBO by calling it "The doom and gloom show" as from the few seconds I have been in the same room
as her when she is watching it it appears to be full of bad news.:*

SpringHeeledJack
28th Sep 2018, 07:18
I chatted with one of the writers of said soap opera some years back and commented on how miserable it seemed most of the time, pretty depressing etc. They explained that the best viewing figures were when the story lines were of things going wrong generally, this being due to the average typical viewer reacting positively when 'someone else's life was worse than their own'........I don't watch it, but did see a few old 70's episodes of Coronation street recently that were believable and interesting!

chevvron
28th Sep 2018, 07:25
I chatted with one of the writers of said soap opera some years back and commented on how miserable it seemed most of the time, pretty depressing etc. They explained that the best viewing figures were when the story lines were of things going wrong generally, this being due to the average typical viewer reacting positively when 'someone else's life was worse than their own'........I don't watch it, but did see a few old 70's episodes of Coronation street recently that were believable and interesting!
Regret to admit I saw the first episodes of both of them, but haven't watched them for years, even when I went on holiday in 1985 and found a Corrie actor was in the same hotel (Ron Davies-dunno what his Corrie name was but he thought he was 'gods gift') and even now when I find out one of my work colleagues is married to Gale (Gail?) from Corrie I don't bother.

ExRAFRadar
28th Sep 2018, 07:26
I have just heard that the theme tune to East Enders is more well-known in the UK than the national anthem.

And at least one who is an elitist moron.

Tashengurt
28th Sep 2018, 07:30
I blame soap operas for many of societies ills. They normalize drama and aggression.

WingNut60
28th Sep 2018, 12:22
And at least one who is an elitist moron.
Two!
I'll put my hand up.

They're a bit like bull fighting.
I'm not sure exactlywhat soapies and reality TV provide to their followers, but 'entertainment' is definitely tbe wrong word.

Union Jack
28th Sep 2018, 13:13
I know a lovely Labrador which runs out of the room if the EE music comes on and the owners aren't quick enough to switch off at the end of the previous programme....

Jack