PDA

View Full Version : Zambia - China's first African Colony?

ImageGear
27th Sep 2018, 08:09
It seems everyone thinks it's happening, but is it really?

Chinese Predatory Loans (https://www.lusakatimes.com/2018/09/18/what-the-pf-government-and-china-have-to-do-to-silence-critics-of-chinese-predatory-loans/)

spycatcher
27th Sep 2018, 08:18
Read "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man"
John Perkins.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Sep 2018, 09:31
As pointed out, these practices have been going on for a long while, the scary part is now it's the turn of an unknown known, to quote that witchy-faced miscreant some years back. The spread of Sino-political power is putting the cat amongst the pigeons. We might be living through interesting times....

meadowrun
27th Sep 2018, 11:04
When most folks hear the word "Chinese" they think "Food".
I think :"long-game".
Unfortunately, aside from money and labour, they have precious little that is good, to offer the world.

pax britanica
27th Sep 2018, 11:16
China is making heavy infrastructure investments all across Africa and the Indian Ocean in general.

Soft loans obviously attract cash strapped nations and Chinese technology is often priced well below western equivalents, it might not always be the most current generation kit but it works and is certainly often more suited to rugged conditions.

Do they ahve an end game-well most likely they do but they have the money and the patience to make these kind of investments while in the west we look askance at anything that doesn't produce high returns after a few years.
So if there is something sinister going on Europa and America only have themselves to blame for outsourcing their own jobs and manufacturing capacity to China and building up China's capability to be com the number one Global player .

currawong
27th Sep 2018, 11:17
I concur.

Playing the long game, allows for insidious creep.

By the time you notice it is already too late.

Globalisation has only assisted, a lot. Buying it tends to be cheaper, in the long run.

FlightDetent
27th Sep 2018, 12:13
Such a well written piece. The good intent and expertise of the author shine through every paragraph, all points delivered right into the bullseye. And the message is still peaceful. This is what the results of education should be!

When was the last time I read anything similar back home? About the EU subsidies for instance?

currawong
27th Sep 2018, 12:31
“China does not interfere in Africa’s internal affairs"

Ok, if you say so....

Mr Mac
27th Sep 2018, 12:41
Mao comments when asked about the effect of the Napoleonic wars and changes in Europe in the 1800 is worth remembering when asked about it in the early 1960,s "I think it is too early to say yet" . They play a long game, and do not think that the "Opium wars have been forgotten UK" as was mentioned recently to me in Shanghai last month, over a beer or 2 by a Chinese CEO. As for Africa they have been in there for sometime, as I came across them widely in late 80 early 2000,s when that was my beat. As others have said technologically there product often not the best, but usually robust, which fits with the continent and the operatives.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

Hussar 54
27th Sep 2018, 14:08
Absolutely no doubt that many countries in Africa see China as the aswer to their problems - usually their money problems.

We've been doing business in Angola for almost 15 years - the Chinese moved in the day after South Africa moved out and now not much happens there without 'the nod' from the Chinese.

However, it seems to me that it's fiirst pick on the mineral and other natural resources that they're after, not the hearts and minds of the Africans.

er340790
27th Sep 2018, 14:26
True - they are basically securing their supply lines. A smart strategic move.

In my own sector (mining) there was actually a move in BC in 2012-13 to allow a Chinese-purchased mine to bring in its own labour from China, employed on Chinese T&Cs (!!!)

The move ultimately failed... But I bet a lot of cash-strapped 3rd world economies might be far more accommodating.

We'll see.....

SpringHeeledJack
27th Sep 2018, 14:27
However, it seems to me that it's fiirst pick on the mineral and other natural resources that they're after, not the hearts and minds of the Africans.

An old 'China-Hand' said to me some years back that they likened the Chinese to the Borg, (a StarTrek reference!) overpowering, consuming and discarding. The grand children of the present Africans might come to rue the decisions made by their present governments.

arketip
27th Sep 2018, 14:29

Yes, so different from the Europeans and Americans...

Andy_S
27th Sep 2018, 16:19
Your irony is valid. However, while European colonialism is something of a dirty word these days, some here on Jet Blast seem to regard Chinese style colonialism with admiration…….

ChrisVJ
27th Sep 2018, 17:39
And it will probably end the same way.
The Chinese will trade for a few years, invest, build a lot of infrastructure, denude the country of a fair amount of minerals and then along comes a strong man and nationalizes it all. I am not sure gunboat diplomacy can keep the puppets in line any more and bribes only go so far.

Mr Mac
27th Sep 2018, 18:02
ChrisVj
They are busy building Gunboats, but I think bribery will work just as well in Africa !
Springheeled jack
Good analogy.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

Argonautical
27th Sep 2018, 18:07
Zimbabwe could also be a candidate. The Chinese Yuan is one of three official currencies, the others being the US Dollar and the South African Rand.

WingNut60
27th Sep 2018, 18:37
When I was based in Lusaka a few years ago, the Chinese involvement was very topical.
The Zambian guys were not at all impressed with it and were reasonably vocal about it too.

As with the header article, most comment was about lack of trickle down.

It was just at the end of Mr Sata's reign.

anxiao
27th Sep 2018, 18:59
To follow on from er340790, yes in the African country in which I spend a lot of time we have Chinese owned factories and mineral mines that are totally Chinese run and operated. The staff and workers are flown in from China and spend upwards of two years here. Some are let go locally if they want after their "contract" (ie they are indentured labour) and given a local passport (interesting facilitation, as it is very difficult to get even residency as a foreigner, so somebody way high up must be involved...)

The only local labour is the security guy on the gate. And inside the gate is a Chinese guy keeping an eye on him.

Make of it what you will, but the Chinese do not do "technology transfer" or train up local staff. It comes down to the '60s phrase, "Life is a S**t sandwich. The more bread you have, the less S**t you have to eat. And China has well over a trillion of American dollars in bread. Colonisation? Depends on your definition, and your nationalities perception.
But I see that it does nothing for the country except rip off its resources.