PDA

View Full Version : Monster Raving Loony Party Conference

ORAC
27th Sep 2018, 07:47
If you are nearby over the next couple of days and want to have a good weekend......

2018 Conference at the George and Dragon, 117 Bridge Street, Belper, Derbyshire. | The Official Monster Raving Loony Party (http://www.loonyparty.com/get-involved/conference/)2018 Conference at the George and Dragon, 117 Bridge Street, Belper, Derbyshire.Thurs 27th til Sat 29th September

Here it is then, after three very successful years in Blackpool party members decided we really ought to have a change. So, this year we will be in Belper, Derbyshire. Thanks to the party members of that area for helping to arrange aforesaid shenighans. Special mention for Dale Rowles for arranging the venue, the George and Dragon, 117 Bridge Street, and to Craig the Landlord, for agreeing to host such a predominant gathering.

An array of the most ‘Loonatical Kind’ are gathering to entertain you. ‘Dale Rowles and his BB Blackdog Band’, ‘The Big Fibbers’, ‘Bad Axe, Bad Axe’, so good we named him twice. ‘Gripper and the Gonads’. From Chicago the famous ‘Joe Jammer’. The B U M S Morris side from Wales. Plus stars of the weekend, ‘Vince Ripper and the Rodent show’. Very often an Elvis shows up. As often happens celebrity guests also just appear, you’ll never know what you’ve missed until you do. I shall be there as usual, as from Thurs 20th, to make sure all go’s well with the publicity ie TV, Radio, Newspapers and the general media. So if any of you want to make a week of it, you won’t be on your own.
See you all there.

Howling ‘Laud’ Hope, Party Leader.

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2018, 09:20
I recall Screaming Lord Sutch's election manifesto from many years ago, declared on TV:

"Free haircuts for poodles".

This principle seems to have been plagiarised by the Labour Party.

Krystal n chips
27th Sep 2018, 09:35
Interesting choice of location......if some of the locals who live off the beaten track....as in the A6...decide to attend, they will enjoy the company of kindred spirits.

There again, they have to get through the Derbyshire C.C. roadworks training facility first.......or Duffield if you prefer.

Although to be fair the party in question do bring some much needed hilarity to UK politics

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2018, 09:39
Let's face it, they're all bonkers in that town...

BehindBlueEyes
27th Sep 2018, 10:09
I think the best manifesto that the MRLP ever launched was a plan to ensure that all dog food was to made in fluorescent colours - so that what came out of the other end was clearly visible before you stepped in it?

A bit out of date, but some of these are brilliant:

https://www.loonyparty.com/history-4/loony-archive/2005-general-election-manifesto/

We will issue a 99p coin to save on change.

We intend to make free university tuition available to all students named Grant.

We will replace the House of Lords with the House of Cards, to make it easier for the Government to deal with.

We will set up an enquiry to find out why there’s a Polar bear on Fox’s Glacier mints.

All computers will carry a hazard warning sign saying “Please do NOT forget to open your window before you throw this computer out of it”.

Groundgripper
27th Sep 2018, 11:50
Oh, so what was the one on in Blackpool earlier this week, then?

wiggy
27th Sep 2018, 15:53
Blimey I’m out of touch....I remember many years ago when I lived in the south west the MRLP using one of the local pubs in Ashburton as a combined HQ and Conference centre. It seems since I moved on so have they.......I dunno, seduced by power and gone up north...splitters ...no good will come of it I tell you.....not like back in the day when the party had principles...(Or maybe not :E)

....As an OMRLP candidate, Hope was elected unopposed to Ashburton (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashburton,_Devon) Town Council in Devon in 1987. This caused a dilemma in the party as it had previously been decided that any member who was elected to a public office should be expelled from the party. This rule was changed at the 1987 Party Conference to allow Hope to remain a member

gemma10
27th Sep 2018, 17:38
Years ago when I lived in N London, Screaming Lord Such was interviewed by the BBC in N Finchley when Maggie was involved in a bi-election. He was asked what was his policy on defence if and when he won the seat of N. Finchley. Simple he said, I shall erect a ten foot fencel around the whole of the UK.

BehindBlueEyes
27th Sep 2018, 18:22
Years ago when I lived in N London, Screaming Lord Such was interviewed by the BBC in N Finchley when Maggie was involved in a bi-election. He was asked what was his policy on defence if and when he won the seat of N. Finchley. Simple he said, I shall erect a ten foot fencel around the whole of the UK.

Are we sure that Screaming Lord Such hasn’t actually spun off this mortal coil and is now policy advisor to POTUS?

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2018, 18:28
Weren't they the ones who wanted longer tools and shorter periods for female assembly workers?

WingNut60
27th Sep 2018, 18:31
The one that I remember was .."As soon as we're in, it's off to the Bahamas."

911slf
27th Sep 2018, 20:32
This from Wikipedia.

Despite its satirical nature, some of the things that have featured in Loony manifestos have become law, such as being able to vote at 18, "passports for pets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_passport)", and all-day pub openings.

DON T
27th Sep 2018, 20:39
Another I remember, ‘Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?’

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2018, 20:41
Weren't they the ones who wanted longer tools and shorter periods for female assembly workers?

The blokes wanted the first for themselves....

WilliumMate
27th Sep 2018, 20:56
Slight thread drift. Anyone remember who that yampy pisser was that continually fought by-elections representing the .... absolute white monarchist party... or some such nonsense. Always seemed to pop up in the 60s, 70s and maybe later?

:confused:

WingNut60
27th Sep 2018, 21:03
Sir Oswald Ernald Mosley, 6th Baronet of Ancoats??

Hydromet
27th Sep 2018, 22:52
I thought the title of this thread referred to the Australian Parliament.

WingNut60
27th Sep 2018, 23:39
I thought the title of this thread referred to the Australian Parliament.

Both sides and the cross bench

Hydromet
28th Sep 2018, 03:46
Both sides and the cross bench
Too true...and both houses!

Barksdale Boy
28th Sep 2018, 04:00
WM
It was Lt Cdr Bill Boaks DSC.

Nervous SLF
28th Sep 2018, 05:56
Wasn't there someone once called "The beast of Belper" or similar?

Krystal n chips
28th Sep 2018, 07:36

Ah, not a human, well possibly, if you've ever seen the ambulations of some of the locals at night, but more a large puddy cat said to roam the hills and dales ...

There again.......being Belper......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHItywaQVi4

It's just a thought, but, if they need some new outfits (sorry about this TTN ) there's a shop wot sells Masonic regalia conveniently located in the town

WilliumMate
28th Sep 2018, 08:01
WM
It was Lt Cdr Bill Boaks DSC.

Thanks BB. That's the chap. Probably the original MRLP member. Totally hatstand,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Boaks

:}

Carry0nLuggage
28th Sep 2018, 08:17

Well there is the Beast of Bolsover, AKA Dennis Skinner. Were you thinking of him?

Pinky the pilot
28th Sep 2018, 11:09
Point of order, but didn't The Honourable Screaming Lord Sutch depart this mortal coil quite some time back?:confused:

Seen to remember that it was reported here in the Colonies that it was by his own hand, an' all!:ooh:

ShyTorque
28th Sep 2018, 12:01
Point of order, but didn't The Honourable Screaming Lord Sutch depart this mortal coil quite some time back?https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Yes, he did. Wiki gives the relevant information.

However, the party goes on, as a parody of the others.

Random SLF
28th Sep 2018, 19:37
One of the best MRP proposals I can recall was made by 'Baron von Thunderclap', the prospective candidate for Cornwall back in the '80's, who wanted to decimalise time.
When questioned about whether this was feasible, he replied "Why not? The Romans did it."

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2018, 20:36
Decimal time. (http://mentalfloss.com/article/32127/decimal-time-how-french-made-10-hour-day)

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Sep 2018, 21:39
Last time I looked at the MRLP web site the most amusing page was the one listing their policies that have now been implemented by other parties - "the pubs to be open all day" is an obvious one but IIRC there were plenty of others.

Nervous SLF
28th Sep 2018, 21:50
Well there is the Beast of Bolsover, AKA Dennis Skinner. Were you thinking of him?

Ah yes that was him so thank you CarryOn, my small brain was overheating when I tried to remember. :O