PDA

View Full Version : King of Thieves

Tankertrashnav
26th Sep 2018, 10:33
I rarely go to the cinema but last night son dragged Mrs TTN and I along to see this film about the Hatton Garden break-in. Having seen bad reviews I had high hopes as I rarely agree with film critics, and I wasn't disappointed. The thing that impressed me was that the film makers had resisted the temptation to portray the gang as bunch of lovable old rogues, but a thoroughly unpleasant lot of criminals with violent pasts. Some great acting from the top division of British film actors (Michael Caine, Tom Courtenay etc) Don't go if you are expecting a "heist caper movie", it's a British film about burglars, and in the end the police round them up in quick time - hooray!

Krystal n chips
26th Sep 2018, 11:03
" it's a British film about burglars, and in the end the police round them up in quick time - hooray! "

You do realise that applauding the police for proving their professional expertise is a direct contravention of the JB ideology that clearly states the police are only interested in persecuting motorists travelling at 30.000001 mph in a 30mph limit !

oldpax
26th Sep 2018, 12:54
Tankertrashnav is talking about a movie not your pet hate.

Pontius Navigator
26th Sep 2018, 19:59
KnC is a typical JetBlaster, hates everything and everyone on JB.

think about it ☺

Tankertrashnav
27th Sep 2018, 11:30
A serious point but I suppose it is inevitable that the police will devote a lot of resources to a crime such as this which resulted in the theft of a very large sum of money and valuables, and which attracted huge publicity at the time. However this was probably the last time this sort of crime will be committed, the last efforts of a dying breed of old fashioned villains. Nowadays far more money is being stolen and embezzled by cyber crime, and I doubt if the police are anything like as committed to dealing with it as they should be. I'm not one of those who K & C refers to as moaning at the police for policing speed limits - I live on a fast road have seen the gruesome results of excessive speed too often to have any sympathy for people who break speed limits, but neither do I think "our policemen are wonderful" - too often they appear to be lazy and incompetent - but on this occasion I was cheering them on!

Krystal n chips
27th Sep 2018, 13:33
A serious point but I suppose it is inevitable that the police will devote a lot of resources to a crime such as this which resulted in the theft of a very large sum of money and valuables, and which attracted huge publicity at the time. However this was probably the last time this sort of crime will be committed, the last efforts of a dying breed of old fashioned villains. Nowadays far more money is being stolen and embezzled by cyber crime, and I doubt if the police are anything like as committed to dealing with it as they should be. I'm not one of those who K & C refers to as moaning at the police for policing speed limits - I live on a fast road have seen the gruesome results of excessive speed too often to have any sympathy for people who break speed limits, but neither do I think "our policemen are wonderful" - too often they appear to be lazy and incompetent - but on this occasion I was cheering them on!

TTN......hmm ? you are usually pretty astute, so I would have thought you would have noticed I'm one of the relatively few on here who generally supports the police.

However, my reference to speeding drivers is directed at the JB " I was only doing 80 in a 30 limit !...why don't the police spend their time catching real criminals and stop persecuting innocent drivers !! " fraternity .....of whom we have more than a few and indeed the police per se , bit like the BBC and the Guardian really, don't get much in the way of praise on here

Thankfully, two other posters decided not to burden the police as a career option........ with their deductive reasoning skills so kindly exemplified ......so please note my choice of upper speed may have been slightly exaggerated .

Tankertrashnav
28th Sep 2018, 00:43
Indeed K&C I did get the drift of your remarks and on this occasion I am generally in agreement. I notice a few of our resident petrol heads always fall back on the old "it's not speed that kills but bad driving" argument (they of course are good drivers)!

But I digress - definitely a good film and definitely worth the six quid each it cost Mrs TTN and me after our "senior" discount which seemed appropriate, since for a change we were actually younger than most of the cast!