PDA

View Full Version : Americans Make Me Scratch My Head Sometmess

nomorecatering
25th Sep 2018, 12:04
https://www.pprune.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16

With amusement park being one of the prime attractions for foreigners visiting the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave (and sick because they can't afford healthcare), i was stunned to come across many articles that point out the lack of safety standards across all states and that some states had no regulations what so ever.

But the real kicker is, which left me gobsmacked, is that in many states there are lawmakers actively trying to reduce the already absurdly minimal amount of regulatory oversight, and to prevent any being added.

It is true, America really does care more about money than people. Since it's mainly foreigners who go to these parks, well screw them, who cares if a few Brits, Frenchies or Aussies die, we already got their money.

Katamarino
25th Sep 2018, 12:23
Ah yes, the train of anti-US garbage from ignorant muppets rolls on. You people do have sad little lives, and I say this not even being American...

TWT
25th Sep 2018, 12:26
Some OP's make me scratch my head sometimes too :)

nomorecatering
25th Sep 2018, 12:42
That didn't take long, 11 mins for the first arc up by an offended American (I won a bet on this by the way).
It's ironic, how Americans from the Big Chief down, can lecture the world, endlessly, on how they should do things. But, should anyone even dare to criticise ANYTHING American, you erupt like popcorn in a mircrowave.
I'm sure you know what the term Thin Skinned means. Foreigners should never, ever criticise Uncle Sam.

The greatest irony of this piece is that all the reports on this come from fellow Americans.

Anyway it gives me an excuse not to take the family to American theme parks (might do European ones instead).

treadigraph
25th Sep 2018, 12:48
Think you might have lost your bet actually; Katamarino is European and I've always had the impression TWT* is as Antipodean as you are!

By the way, links to the articles you refer to might be useful...

Apologies to TWT if he isn't!

DaveReidUK
25th Sep 2018, 12:50
I'm no apologist for the USA, but

lawmakers actively trying to reduce the already absurdly minimal amount of regulatory oversight

are, alas, to be found throughout the world.

tescoapp
25th Sep 2018, 12:56
That should be lawmakers actively trying to reduce the possibility of the regulator being held responsible if anything goes wrong.

WingNut60
25th Sep 2018, 13:23
Too late in many places. Oversight has already been handed to the actors.
And we all know how well self-policing works.
And yet, the departments who have outsourced or abrogated their duties have not become any smaller.

tescoapp
25th Sep 2018, 13:39
Must admit as a ex engineer I struggle to see why its not a nationwide oversight function. You would then have a critical mass of parks /rides to actually build up a team with experience and skill set.

currawong
25th Sep 2018, 13:54
Personally, I give the ones in Australia a miss too.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/major-amusement-park-accidents-in-australia

Redredrobin
25th Sep 2018, 13:59
Land of the free sums it up. Free to direct your spend to what matters to you, rather than what the feds dictate?

tescoapp
25th Sep 2018, 14:00
I wouldn't let the kids on a mobile amusement ride recently after looking at the state of the metal work.

chevvron
25th Sep 2018, 15:09
https://www.pprune.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16 (https://www.pprune.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16)

With amusement park being one of the prime attractions for foreigners visiting the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave (and sick because they can't afford healthcare), i was stunned to come across many articles that point out the lack of safety standards across all states and that some states had no regulations what so ever.

But the real kicker is, which left me gobsmacked, is that in many states there are lawmakers actively trying to reduce the already absurdly minimal amount of regulatory oversight, and to prevent any being added.

It is true, America really does care more about money than people. Since it's mainly foreigners who go to these parks, well screw them, who cares if a few Brits, Frenchies or Aussies die, we already got their money.
Boils down to insurance in my opinion.
Rather than try to prevent accidents, they just let them happen expecting the insurance companies to sort it all out with massive compensation payouts.

WingNut60
25th Sep 2018, 15:19
Boils down to insurance in my opinion.
Rather than try to prevent accidents, they just let them happen expecting the insurance companies to sort it all out with massive compensation payouts.

Does that work that way?
I'd have imagined that insurance companies would throw you to the wolves if they could just show that you were culpable.

Try getting your car fixed in Oz after you've had a fender bender and a BAC of 0.051

Pontius Navigator
25th Sep 2018, 16:40
That didn't take long, 11 mins for the first arc up by an offended American (I won a bet on this by the way).l hope they don't read pprune or they will do you on maths, 11 minutes indeed.