PDA

View Full Version : Stopping someone getting credit...... HELP

racedo
22nd Sep 2018, 11:16
Friends going on circa 20 years have a son who suffers from epilepsy, holds down a decent paying job BUT he is a gambler.
Never married and not young.

When he bought his flat with his parents support, they asked me for some advice and I suggested they go on the deeds
as joint owners to prevent him taking out lots of secured loans on it.
They did and were thankful of suggestion because they could control that, they now pay the mortgage on it.

Sadly he still takes out credit cards to feed his addiction to fruit machines and has been known to put thousands in a week into them.
He has now tried to commit suicide a couple of times, the latest being a week or so ago and lost a limb as a result.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to prevent him ever getting credit again ?

Sadly this is an inherited trait in the family, the wife controls the purse strings and always has, hubby too found of alcohol hence she has always
held the bank account. Speaking to her this morning in the supermarket she said hubby drinks 8-10 cans of cider a day at a minimum.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Will keep thread up for a week or so only.

lomapaseo
22nd Sep 2018, 15:04
How does he get the new credit cards if he has a bad credit rating?

If his credit rating is good enough then maybe one can come up with ways to ruin it for an affordable price. example use his personal information to take out many credit cards in his name and don't pay off any charges for a year or so..

BehindBlueEyes
22nd Sep 2018, 15:17
Financial lasting power of attorney?

You can download the form for free off the gov.uk website. A bit of a hassle getting it signed by relevant bodies but certainly worthwhile to protect someone who is vulnerable. Ideally, the ‘doner’ - the person needing protection should give their consent - but in the case of incapacity such as mental illness etc, you can still apply.

That way, you have the authority to cancel any applications made by the doner but you are not liable for their debt.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/make-a-lasting-power-of-attorney

racedo
22nd Sep 2018, 16:50
BBE

Good suggestion, will say it to them.
They are in a bad way because of this but giving them an option like this may help.
They are a close family so would expect him to give authority eventually.

Sooner the better these Crack Gambling Machines get hammered the better.

Irish friend told me that machines all the rage there in 1980's until law changed and reduced
maximum payout. Business collapsed overnight but it tackled the issue.

Sadly the online gambling industry now even bigger and even worse.
Gambling is addictive.

Thank you

racedo
22nd Sep 2018, 16:56
How does he get the new credit cards if he has a bad credit rating?

If his credit rating is good enough then maybe one can come up with ways to ruin it for an affordable price. example use his personal information to take out many credit cards in his name and don't pay off any charges for a year or so..

How did peopel get NINJA mortgages in the US ?

Some scumbag decided commission was more important than someone's life............

WingNut60
22nd Sep 2018, 17:28
How did peopel get NINJA mortgages in the US ?

Some scumbag decided commission was more important than someone's life............

For anyone interested start taking an interest into the Australian Royal Commission inquiry into the banking and insurance industries in Oz.
What a rats nest. The inquiry is still running and uncovering jaw-droppers by the day.
Not a recognisable ethic in sight.

They'd sell their babies if it meant another dollar in the pocket.

The surprising thing is that no one is really surprised
Should be out burning their places to the ground.

Run the same inquiry in any other country and I'd guarantee that it would be either as bad or worse.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Sep 2018, 22:49
Giles Coren, whose politics are generally pretty well to the right, was saying in today's Times that for once Labour has come up with a good proposal connected with restricting advertising of betting on TV. Certainly banning advertising fags hasn't stopped people killing themselves with tobacco, but it has certainly helped. The generally right wing view has always been that there should be as little interference in the individual's way of life as possible, and if people choose to go to hell on a handcart then that is their choice. But we do ban drugs, and personally I wouldn't care less if all gambling advertising was banned. Mind you I've never been tempted other than the National Lottery, and I even gave that up when it went up to two quid!

One good spin off would be not having to hear that annoying Cockney geezer Ray Winstone telling us "I gamboow responsibly" ever again!

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2018, 23:43
That's King 'enry the Aipthhhhh, isn't it?

double_barrel
23rd Sep 2018, 06:23
.....The generally right wing view has always been that there should be as little interference in the individual's way of life as possible, and if people choose to go to hell on a handcart then that is their choice. But we do ban drugs, and personally I wouldn't care less if all gambling advertising was banned. .....

Especially since there is good evidence for a genetic component to uncontrolled gambling. It might be regarded as an illness over which the sufferer has little or no control. In the case of the family in the OP, this looks like a clear cut example - the medics might be interested to hear about them, especially if there is an unaffected sibling.

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2018, 07:17
Meanwhile, the owners of Formula One are lifting their ban on advertising gambling:-
Formula One U-turns on betting sponsorships. (https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/09/18/formula-one-u-turns-betting-sponsorships)

Tankertrashnav
23rd Sep 2018, 10:28
Oh dear - poor old Formula One - a sport renowned for being chronically short of money! Some gambling advertising on his car should push Hamilton up a few more notches on the world rich list :*

Sponsorship doesn't always work. When I first saw an Irish snooker player with "Paddy Power" on his waistcoat I assumed it was a statement - like a Celtic equivalent of "Black Power"!

BehindBlueEyes
6th Oct 2018, 09:07
Read this, this morning. Wondered if this is something that might be of use?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45652429

racedo
6th Oct 2018, 12:05
Thanks

Guy is recovering thankfully but has a mental health worker on call in hospital he is in 24/7.

Passed the suggestion of Power of Att to his mum, we will revisit this is a month or so, at moment he is in the hospital.
She has control of his bank account but will sit down with both parents and likely sisters in relation to agreeing a policy / way forward
including controls in case something happens to the parents.
He has savings but in one week a year or so ago he blew 10,000 in the crack cocaines fruit machines.

Good news is that he works for an ex state owned public service, they do not make people redundant.
Also with 20 years service there will be a lot of support and in all likelihood they could suggest paying him off via Disability but his mum
is clear she doesn't want it to happen as WTF would he do all day, drink or gamble. In this I agree.

Long road to recovery I fear.