PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stop Guidance

FlyMD
21st Sep 2018, 07:40
Hi Ppruners,

It's been a while since my last African jaunts, and most of those were in long-range stuff, when I did not have to worry about fuel stops...

Some advice needed: I need to go to Gaborone from central Europe, with a twin that has a 1'800NM range. Because of some payload unknowns, I don't want to do anything exceeding 1500NM in one leg, 1300NM is preferred.

1. I already know I'd like to do a night stop in Western Africa, and I have fond memories of either Accra or Douala... From there, there are options to reach Gaborone with one fuel-stop.

2. The ideal fuel stop on the way to either Accra or Douala is Tamanrasset, but it's just a bit of a stretch, considering the paucity of alternates, so my first questions is: is there a reasonable and safe fuel stop in the middle of Algeria (North of Tamanrasset), which has Jet A and where I can organize a reasonably hassle-free turn around? The only alternative to Algeria right now is Agadir in Morocco, and it's a bit much out of the way...

3. From Western Africa to Gaborone, I plan to stop in Luanda for some fuel... Any comments or recent experiences? Is Pointe-Noire a better alternative, or a least a useable alternate?

Thank You for your expert inputs, and no, I am not able to give more details about my purpose or the type of aircraft....

Fly MD

dgger
21st Sep 2018, 08:31
3. From Western Africa to Gaborone, I plan to stop in Luanda for some fuel... Any comments or recent experiences? Is Pointe-Noire a better alternative, or a least a useable alternate?Not sure, if this counts as recent, but earlier this year I took fuel pre-arranged via Best Fly in Luanda and was airborne again within less than an hour. I also had a a similar experience in Lubango further south.

EladElap
21st Sep 2018, 21:14
Ghardaia in central Algeria is pretty well equipped airport by Algerian standards. Stop there all the time for fuel, although admittedly it's during domestic ops. Adrar is another option, however that is possibly to far West for your routing. Very chilled out customs, police etc there, and it does receive a weekly international flight from Spain. I've also seen foreign registered biz jets stopping for fuel.

FlyMD
25th Sep 2018, 10:14
Gents, tks for the replies. In the end I will put in a short stop halfway to Tamanrasset, thereafter it’s a comfortable hop to Accra or Douala. Your inputs are always appreciated!

FlyMD