PDA

View Full Version : My own fault really.........

beamer
20th Sep 2018, 08:24
Well, after having held a Class 1 medical for Lord knows how many years, I took a break from flying on retirement but have only recently ventured back into the air in a light aircraft.

I found a local CAA approved doctor and expected to have to complete a Class 2 for PPL SEP use. However, he convinced me that an LAPL medical would be ok and duly took his money and signed the certificate. Some research later seems to indicate that a Class 2 is necessary as confirmed by the CAA. Yes, I should have done my own digging to see what I needed and thus I have only myself to blame but...........

Looks like I will have to have another medical to get the Class 2 at even more expense.

Grrrrrrrr

mothminor
20th Sep 2018, 10:20
Hi Beamer,
I retired from (I think) the same airline 3 years ago.
Are you still flying on the ppl privileges of your atpl?
I continue to fly little aeroplanes and when my atpl run out I looked at the options, then swapped my atpl for a lapl.
An lapl did everything I needed and is easier on both the medical and to stay current (12 hours in 2 years).
I recently renewed my medical with a class 2, now valid for 2 years but may well then just self declare.
Best,
J.J. ex stn

beamer
20th Sep 2018, 10:38
Cheers JJ

Why do the CAA hve to make everything so damned difficult ?

Surely PPL should cover everything that an LAPL does, maybe it does, I don't know !

In any event I have spoken with the Doc and I think we can sort it out amicably - it will be a Class 2

All I need to do know is to find an aircraft group or flying club that ticks all the boxes.....failing that, back to the golf course !

Cheers

Beamer

tescoapp
20th Sep 2018, 12:20
The gliding setup is much more sensible...… and more a of a full day of aviation.