PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Airliners

Jungmeister
20th Sep 2018, 00:17
I notice in the SA Aviation spotters group that an Eva Air aircraft substituted for an Air New Zealand aircraft on a scheduled service in and out of Adelaide. I presume the radio callsign was still the New Zealand Flight number. Back in my day the flight plan would have been annotated to give a warning so that ATC and pilots could look for a different tail colour. That was probably an ICAO requirement. We all used "Sight and Follow" a lot more in those days, so the expected appearance was relevant. I suppose these days everything is on rails and no such requirement exists. Any comments from a current ATC?

AerocatS2A
20th Sep 2018, 00:54
I thought the "OPERATOR" field of the flight notification was for that purpose.

ElZilcho
20th Sep 2018, 02:29
It's a lease Aircraft, so operated by Air NZ crew and there's a requirement to notify the Tower and Ground controllers on first contact that it's an EVA lease Aircraft so they're aware of the livery.

Duck Pilot
20th Sep 2018, 10:10
Seem to recall that Australian Airlines or Qantas used to operate a 737 around domestically in a Solomon Airlines levy, the aircraft may been leased to Solomon Airlines. It was back in the early 90s I think.

Capn Bloggs
20th Sep 2018, 10:19
Hey you lot, do a search thru AIP for "interchange". All will be revealed! :ok:

AerocatS2A
20th Sep 2018, 10:31
AIP... what's that? ;)

Capn Bloggs
20th Sep 2018, 11:03
eawm_pacific.pdf as well! :ok:

TBM-Legend
20th Sep 2018, 20:54
Alliance Fokkers for VA and QF everyday....in Alliance colours

Jungmeister
21st Sep 2018, 05:03
I was just trying to remember back to the infamous Pilot Dispute days. There were any number of foreign aircraft, including our own RAAF trying to shift airline customers. In those days all aircraft , large and small, used their registration letters as callsigns. We definitely used "Sight and Follow" techniques for entry to the circuit. EG "Ansett 727 on four mile final report sighting." Some of the more avant gard controllers would say "Red Tail 727 on final" It all seemed to work back in those days of yore!

Jungmeister
21st Sep 2018, 05:05
Slight correction to the above. RAAF always used their squadron typical names, like Trojan for the Hercs.

LeadSled
21st Sep 2018, 05:24
In those days all aircraft , large and small, used their registration letters as callsigns.

Not really, QF always used flight numbers for all QF commercial operation, a rego. callsign was used for a positioning or at Avalon.
The reason was largely that the charges levied for services varied.
Tootle pip!!

Jungmeister
21st Sep 2018, 05:35
Quite right Leaddie. Of course in the little old backwater of Adelaide we did not have any International flights to speak of in the very early days. Certainly no scheduled flights until Singapore and British Airways ("The Speedbird") came along. There was only one occasional Monarch (Brittania) that imported British Migrants. We even had a special Local Instruction headed for " International Flights (eg Monarch)"

LeadSled
21st Sep 2018, 06:08
Quite right Leaddie. Of course in the little old backwater of Adelaide we did not have any International flights to speak of in the very early days. Certainly no scheduled flights until Singapore and British Airways ("The Speedbird") came along. There was only one occasional Monarch (Brittania) that imported British Migrants. We even had a special Local Instruction headed for " International Flights (eg Monarch)"

Jungmeister,
The guys from British Eagle would be disappointed that they have been forgotten, particularly as the offspring of the founder of British Eagle, Harold Bamberg, have lived in SA for quite some years. Eagle had long term British defense and other contracts, and were regulars at "appropriate" airfields in SA.
Tootle pip!!

markis10
21st Sep 2018, 06:43
I was just trying to remember back to the infamous Pilot Dispute days. There were any number of foreign aircraft, including our own RAAF trying to shift airline customers. In those days all aircraft , large and small, used their registration letters as callsigns.

Your getting a couple of things confused there. Until the late 1990s domestic flights used registration, international company flight number. During the strike, foreign airlines flying domestic used company callsign, I remember asking a Cactus Mel-CBR as he approached 20 dme south of Canberra if he was approaching top of descent :eek:

27/09
21st Sep 2018, 08:11
Your getting a couple of things confused there. Until the late 1990s domestic flights used registration, international company flight number. During the strike, foreign airlines flying domestic used company callsign, I remember asking a Cactus Mel-CBR as he approached 20 dme south of Canberra if he was approaching top of descent :eek:
At that distance and still in the cruise would have him in the "cactus" so to speak. :ouch:

wombat watcher
21st Sep 2018, 10:11
At that distance and still in the cruise would have him in the "cactus" so to speak. :ouch:

Cactus was the callsign of America West.

i asked why the domestics used regos in lieu of flight numbers.
the answer was: TN501 might go CNS BNE SYD MEL. 4 different aircraft maybe. If one sector was running late, it was possible to have 2 X TN 501s in the same airspace if flight numbers were used.

Jungmeister
21st Sep 2018, 23:20
Jungmeister,
The guys from British Eagle would be disappointed that they have been forgotten, particularly as the offspring of the founder of British Eagle, Harold Bamberg, have lived in SA for quite some years. Eagle had long term British defense and other contracts, and were regulars at "appropriate" airfields in SA.
Tootle pip!!
I seem to remember the British Eagle callsign and I think they went into Edinburgh and Woomera. It was a long time ago.
Interestingly Adelaide today is alive with all sorts of International and Military exotic types. It keeps the spotters on their toes!
Cheers.