PDA

View Full Version : Russians, Oligarchs and flights into the UK

FinancialTimes
19th Sep 2018, 15:03
Hello everybody. I hope this is the right place to ask for some help. I'm a journalist with the Financial Times. We're looking into Russian (and other oligarchs) private jet use - and whether enough scrutiny is paid to passengers coming in and out of airfields like Farnborough and Biggin Hill: in the wake of the novichok poisoning it seems unusual that so many oligarchs and their entourages are still able to fly in and out of airports in the UK without their luggage being checked at all or often even their passports etc -- just because they're super wealthy. We have heard some fairly tall tails of bodyguards and heavies coming in armed (with presumably undeclared handguns) and various other things.

Perhaps this is a non-story, which is why I thought I would post on here, hoping to hear from professionals with first hand knowledge of this kind of thing. Us being the FT, we're not interested in something which turns out to be bogus just to get some attention. But if there are things that really should be tightened up in terms of security checking, we'd like to write about why (and how urgent it might be) given the world we're living in now.

Obviously all responses treated in strictest confidence (unless people are happy to be named). Reply to this thread I suppose or message me and I can pass on my work email (in case anyone wants to check this is a legit enquiry). All anecdotes, facts, tales, slap downs, gratefully received.

Thanks!

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history. Use email.

DaveReidUK
19th Sep 2018, 16:04
We have heard some fairly tall tails

Are you sure you're not from the Sun or Mirror?

FinancialTimes
20th Sep 2018, 10:19
Yes. The Sun or the Mirror would have used the correct version of 'tales'. In any case, I can be reached at sam[dot]jones[at]ft[dot]com

chevvron
20th Sep 2018, 15:05
Try contacting TAG Aviation at Farnborough; Roman Abramovich used Farnborough a lot until he bought an aircraft which was too big to be accepted there.

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2018, 17:27
Some might disagree with the assertion that "you can fly in and out of airports [like Farnborough] without your luggage being checked at all".

Farnborough Airport cocaine: Four guilty of smuggling (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45286983)