View Full Version : They're all avoiding the question!

CommanderBlonde
19th Jun 2001, 12:26
Which would be better for an airline career in the uk? - doing your cpl skills in the states where it is cheaper but could be perceived as easier/not relevant or completing them in the uk where it is more expensive but perhaps more relevant?

I've been trying to get a straight answer out of most of the flight schools in the states but they seem to avoid this question - is that because they know i'm better off learning in blighty?

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Jun 2001, 12:53
The only place it makes sense to train for commercial licenses is at a JAA Approved school. There is only one in the USA (West Michigan) and they are planning to stop doing JAA commerical training.

Its somewhere in the EU for you for a CPL course. PPL and hour building can still be done in the USA but there are not the costs savings available that there once were.

Good luck,

VFE
19th Jun 2001, 15:27
WWW,

PAFTA (PanAm) at Fort Pierce, Florida claim to have JAA approval for their integrated course. There was a debacle a couple of months back when the two British instructors tootled off to set their own place up but PAFTA soon found replacements, or so they say.
Strange that they're not listed on the CAA website for approved FTOs though.

VFE.

presbycusis
19th Jun 2001, 19:33

At the risk of exposing myself, let me ask you to quote the reference/source that allows you to state on a public forum potentially damaging statements like "(WMU)......are about to stop commercial JAA training"

Thank you

and VFE

I don't believe they are approved for the integrated ATPL course and I don't think they claim to be - they have no JAA groundschool set up for a start! However, I believe they are approved for modular training.

[This message has been edited by presbycusis (edited 19 June 2001).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Jun 2001, 20:38
Well perhaps I am mistaken about WMU - my info comes from talking to the old flight standards guy who helped set up the JAA training there and subsequently left to join BAE in Jerez where I knew him. He thought that JAA commercial training was going to be stopped out there.

You'd have to check specifically with the school for a definitive answer. But at least by my post it would be a question to ask when you consider training with them... I can't gaurantee that everything I or others post here is 100% correct.

Cheers,

VFE
19th Jun 2001, 20:40
Thanks presbycusis, I stand corrected. Indeed, the ATPL groundschool is conducted in the UK as is the I/R test - thus making this a modular route.
Seems there is a very thin line between 'Integrated' and 'Modular', the diffrence being approval by the JAA.

Thanks again,

VFE.

presbycusis
19th Jun 2001, 21:08
OK, that's fine WWW. However, I strongly suggest you take note of your own advice in future before you state rumours in a manner that infers they are fact - that is "....you'd have to check with the school directly for a definitive answer."

The "old flight standards guy" you speak off left WMU in late 1999, so I would suggest that information from him about the place is suspect to say the least. Far better to make sure information you are about to post about schools is up to date by maybe visiting their website? Addresses of these are forever being posted here, so no excuses really old chap!

My main point is that by posting incorrect information such as that in this thread, you may be directly responsible for the loss of potential customers who believe you - and I really don't think you would want to head down that road with all the possible consequences.

highrise
19th Jun 2001, 21:21
For the record WMU or IPTC as it is otherwise known offers a FULLY INTEGRATED JAA ATP(A) AB-INITIO COURSE. The cost of this course is $70,000.00 or £50,000.00 @1.4.
It is the only flying school to offer both ground and flight school training in the USA and, unlike Panam who require you to come back for IR and ground training. WMU does require you come back for 2 weeks for the IR before returning to the WMU for MCC/JOC. This course is also unique because it is a university and under federal law in the USA cannot charge for profitable gain, therefore unlike all the others it is not there for profitable gain. Secondly it is the only place where you train fulltime in the same classroom with BA students.
I hope this sets the record straight.

For reference look at WWW.aviation.wmu.edu (http://WWW.aviation.wmu.edu)

highrise
19th Jun 2001, 21:33
Apologies the website address is:

http://www.aviation.wmich.edu

I hope this will provide all the ifo people require about WMU

Captain Airclues
19th Jun 2001, 22:02

Is this from the same 'impecable source' who told you that BA were stopping their TEP scheme?

www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/006174.html (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/006174.html)

Airclues