PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble

timgill
18th Sep 2018, 18:31
I searched, and there's an old Scrabble thread which is now closed. So.... here's a new one (I can feel the applause).

The other night I got 122 for one word. This wasn't the best I'd seen, because a few years ago someone I was playing against scored (I think) 311 for CONQUEST in the top left hand corner.

So I was wondering if anyone, with nothing better to do, could top that?

Answers on a postcard...

timgill
18th Sep 2018, 18:33
PS apparently, in the Polish version, the Z is only worth 1 point

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2018, 19:00
I gave up when extended family got out a HUGE book of allowable Scrabble words. ti, caused them to win despite my powerful argument for wibble being a valid word. Well, it should be, cut no ice.

Hydromet
18th Sep 2018, 22:57
Can't remember the score, but playing once against a former nun, I managed to make 'whoredom'.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Sep 2018, 23:00
I refuse to play, because I've never come across anyone who doesn't cheat. My grandma was the worst - the answer to any challenge was "but my friend Betty and I always allow that when we play together".

G-CPTN
18th Sep 2018, 23:42
my powerful argument for wibble being a valid word. Well, it should be, cut no ice.
Wibble now even has an entry in the Collins English Dictionary.

Tankertrashnav
18th Sep 2018, 23:50
I play "words with friends" on Facebook, but it is a poor substitute for Scrabble. Its dictionary is bizarre, allowing words you have never heard of, but refusing to accept words in common English usage. For example it wont allow "fag" which has at least three meanings in "English English", but is presumably refused because of its common meaning in the US.

WingNut60
19th Sep 2018, 00:00

Do you know, I always imagined from the pronunciation that it was spelled with an aitch.

Loose rivets
19th Sep 2018, 00:37
Silly boy. That would be hibble. :rolleyes:

WingNut60
19th Sep 2018, 01:24
Silly boy. That would be hibble. :rolleyes:

No, I meant after the 'e'.

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Sep 2018, 18:35
Yeah, right. See how far that gets you with Scrabble playing "friends" who use a different dictionary.

Alsacienne
19th Sep 2018, 21:18
See how far that gets you with Scrabble playing "friends" who use a different dictionary.

I've got the t-shirt - and once they start using their phones to check words and online scrabble dictionaries, the pleasure evaporates faster than a single malt in the tropics. The game no longer resembles the 'English' that native speakers of my generation used to enjoy before AI replaced practical wordsmanship!

radeng
20th Sep 2018, 12:37
Rivets,
'Wibble' has been an engineering term for very many years. 'To wibble' is put a (usually) hexagon - but it could have any number of sides - on a round bar. A 'wibbler' is the machine to do it. In the amateur workshop, usually a milling machine and a rotary table can be used.

The spell checker on this computer doesn't recognise it, though!

jez d
20th Sep 2018, 12:56
It's also a gin-based cocktail.

bnt
20th Sep 2018, 15:10
I hadn't played Scrabble for years, but a few months ago I started playing "Words with Friends" against a colleague at work in particular. He'd been playing it for a while and had particular tactics that took me a while to figure out, such as "spoiling" the double and triple scores. Once I did figure it out, I got better and started beating him ... at which point he got tired of the game and stopped playing entirely. :hmm:

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2018, 19:55
Oh, radeng, you've undone the momentary happiness that G-C gave me. I thought I'd find my favourite word in that austere tome describing the dribbling idiocy I revel in. Now I find it describes a sensible engineering process. Does everything have to make sense?

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2018, 20:32
Wibble - Collins dictionary (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/wibble)

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2018, 21:09
... and then some people would object to "nybble" ...

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2018, 22:47
One can find some useful sites on t'net. All English words beginning with a W. Who'd a thought it?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/browse/english/w/worsen

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/would-not-say-boo-to-a-goose

BehindBlueEyes
20th Sep 2018, 23:42
I refuse to play, because I've never come across anyone who doesn't cheat. My grandma was the worst - the answer to any challenge was "but my friend Betty and I always allow that when we play together".

YES - so true!

My mother in law always craftily suggests Scrabble on Christmas Day afternoon when she knows resistance is low. The combatants are all weakened by turkey and wine, except her as she doesnít drink. Then itís game on. Any slackers are dealt with savagely and she enforces the rules rigorously. Not sure if she made this one up, but if you challenge incorrectly, you forfeit all your points? The best result ever was when we were looking after a friendís Alsatian for the festive period. The scrabble board was pretty well covered in tiles and as usual MIL was looking at world (word) domination when the aforementioned dog decided that the cat needed to be chased and managed to take the coffee table with him! We all made the appropriate groans of dismay at the sight of the pieces scattered across the carpet but we made sure Jake had a little bit more cold turkey at sandwich time.