PDA

View Full Version : Getting a licence in a different country.

Spencer94
18th Sep 2018, 14:09
Hi all,

I'm preparing to begin training for an ATPL/MPL and I am wondering what the process would be if I wanted to attend a flight school in another part of the world, for example Singapore, China or Brazil. They are just a random selection of countries, but I am very curious about the process. Is it even possible to learn in a different country? I already have an EASA Class 1 Medical, what would I do with this?

This is a rather strange question, I understand this, but any information on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Archer4
19th Sep 2018, 13:29
The question you should ask is if it is possible to transfer the license (back) to an EASA license at some point. And how many hoops you will have to jump through to get that done.

Hawker400
19th Sep 2018, 14:48
Take it from someone converting an ICAO license to EASA.
if you want to work in EASA land get an EASA license.
That way you only have to go through the bureaucracy once.
Unless you want to do hour building somewhere else cheaper it's not worth it. Even then you can just go to eastern Europe for hour building.
You'll lose the money you save when you have to travel back and forth + practical conversion hours if you will eventually come back to convert.

​​Also your medical is worthless anywhere else and you'll have to find an AME to renew every year or let it lapse since you'll need to have 2 done anyways. EASA class 1 and wherever authority of the country you want to go to.

Spencer94
20th Sep 2018, 14:53
Archer4, this is definitely something that I will consider as I would likely want to transfer back to an EASA licence at some stage.

Hawker400, not sounding like such an easy task. That's good information to have though, I'm just considering different options at the minute nut I don't want to do anything that will severely limit me and cost me much more money. As for the medical, It sounds like a lot of hassle and I wouldn't want to let it lapse.