PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Cleanliness (KLM)

Claire Behren
29th Jul 2002, 00:20
I've flown with KLM a few times and have always found them to be _especially_ helpful. I've only had one questionable experience and that was when some unknown substance was dripping on me for a good part of the flight and I couldn't be moved to another seat. The flight attendants all tried to make that leg of the trip as comfortable as possible for me regardless. BTW, any ideas on what that might have been? It was coming from the plane itself, not any baggage in the overhead compartment though the leak was in that area.

That said, who is responsible for ensuring the plane is clean before the next lot of passengers boards? While the service was impeccable as always during a recent flight to Amsterdam (from Toronto) the washrooms were _extremely_ dirty from the get go and stank to high heavens. I'm sure they hadn't been cleaned.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'd still fly with them again, but I hope someone breaks out the bleach next time! :>

Thanks for your time!

Cordially,
Claire

Evening Star
29th Jul 2002, 11:04
Always found that KLM keep the inside as clean as anybody (or maybe I am more tolerant!). Sounds like you had a one off bad experience, especially as you say that everything is normally impeccable. Could be worth writing to KLM detailing time and date. At the very least you might get an explanation.

PAXboy
30th Jul 2002, 00:50
Dear Claire,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the corner of PPRuNe reserved for the SLF (we try to keep it clean in here but sometimes it can be a bit of a dust-up!) :D

The substance that was dripping on you ... was it clear? The most usual substance is condensate water. There are a number of reasons why this happens and it is not always predictable where they will occur. This is why the relative humidity of cabin air is so low, to prevent this! If the substance was any other colour, or had an odour, it would be cause for concern.

As to the washrooms ... these are cleaned by a company that will be contracted to clean many different company's aircraft. If yours was not cleaned properly, it is highly likely that it was noted (particularly as KLM have a good reputation) and have been taken up with the contractor at Toronto.

I agree that an enquiry (as polite as the one you made here) to their Customer Service, should bring a favourable response. Mention the date and flight number concerned, so that they can check their records. I would suggest writing to the service desk in your home country - as it is in their interest to keep you happy. If you are a member of their frequent flying club (Flying Dutchman), mention that too. If they wish to compensate you, that is the easiest way for them to do so!!

Claire Behren
30th Jul 2002, 03:29
Thank you for your responses!

As I recall, the liquid that was dripping was clear and didn't have any odour. I imagine (or I'd hope) that if it was something very foul, they would've actually found somewhere else to stick me.

The washroom issue ... well, I really don't want to officially complain. When I say the washrooms weren't clean, I mean that when you opened the door to any one of the lavatories, it was like hitting a wall of urine stench. I'm not a huge clean freak - promise - but it was truly gag worthy and this was just after the seatbelt lights were switched off at the -beginning- of the flight. Imagine what it was like towards the end! :)

Yick!

But again, I don't think it's anything to raise a stink over.

Har.

Cordially,
Claire

PAXboy
30th Jul 2002, 12:19
Condensate water is the most likely explanation. As to your other concern - I would say that it IS worth raising a stink (very good!).

All airlines are desperate to hold onto trade at the moment. The words that you wrote here need hardly any alteration before being sent as a letter to customer services at KLM.

Don't be too 'English' about this ;)

gofer
30th Jul 2002, 12:38
PaxBoy, is absolutly correct in what he says, but let me go a step further.

From what you have said, you probably only fly a few times a year - some of us are in the 70-100 flights a year, and most of us do complain when we are not impressed by something. On the other hand I personally always try to also do the opposite, praise when something was especially good.

Think of it this way, its probably a WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN situation if you jsu dash off such a nicely phrased comment to KLM. Why do I say that, well we the frequent flyers hopefully get cleaner planes as do all other passengers if the airline is listening, so do you next time (unless you are very unlucky), the crews definitely benefit - they too have to endure the smelly loo's and for even longer than you or I, and the airline benefits by knowing where it has to improve to beat their competition and get a chance to do so (normally most people talk with their feet and just don't go back without giving anybody a second chance.

So PPLEASE, PLEASE do tell them what was wrong and what was right.

Thanks ;) :cool: ;)

Claire Behren
30th Jul 2002, 18:15
Don't be too 'English' about this

That's -Canadian-, thank you very much! ;)

You have some good points. I'll consider it.

Cordially,
Claire

Rollingthunder
30th Jul 2002, 23:21
It is totally unacceptable. It sounds like the lavs weren't serviced. Inexcusable.

As for the liquid dripping. I haven't had this happen to me since the DC8/B707 days. If it happened to me these days, I would find out damn quick what it was. We had an incident about a year ago. Two pax were fairly seriously injured by liquid dripping from an overhead. Burned. Turned out two other idiot pax had carried a very strong drain cleaner (high percentage of acid) onboard in their carry-on luggage and it leaked. It also damaged the bin, the seats and the floor and extensive repairs were required. That ended up in criminal charges being laid. I think the charge was being too stupid to fly.

Having said all that, hope it wasn't my mob servicing KLM in YYZ. However, the KLM station manager and/or flight attendant in- charge should have inspected the aircraft cabin before boarding commenced.

AtlPax
31st Jul 2002, 03:49
Occasionally in very humid environments, I've experienced the "drip" from above :o . It would always disappear once we got underway. :)

PAXboy
31st Jul 2002, 12:32
Dear Ms Behren,

Thank you for your prompt reply and permit me to reassure that my reference to being 'English' was to your extremely polite manner, rather than infering that you were English.

From your (if my say, charming) correspondence, it was not apparent where you were based, or your country of origin. Hence my suggestion to write "to the service desk in your home country" to avoid irritation. However, if I may add, your polite manner in the face of adversity was reminiscent of the traditional English response. Although, with no indication of your passport, I took the precaution of placing the word English between inverted commas.

As I have lived outside of Britain for goodly parts of my life, I am well aware of the dismay that an inaccurate attribution of statehood can generate.

Please accept my apologies for any discomfort experienced, whilst reading PPRuNe. ;)

Yours sincerely,

Simon.

B Sousa
3rd Aug 2002, 01:54
You like to hear tales of clean airplanes.....listen to this guys story......Its not hard to believe www.neverflysaa.com

HotDog
3rd Aug 2002, 15:01
Sounds a bit like the guy who ordered his meal in this restaurant. The waiter brought his soup with his thumb in the dish. Customer didn't like this very much but too polite to complain. His main dish came along with the waiter's thumb in his mashed potatoes. Definitely didn't like this at all but still didn't complain, although made a mental note never to come back to this establishment again. Finally, the waiter came bearing his coffee, with his thumb in it. At this stage he lost his cool and said to the waiter; what on earth is going on here? First, you bring me my soup with your thumb in it. Next, you bring me my main dish with your thumb in my mashed potatoes. Then, you bring me my coffee with your thumb in it! I'm terribly sorry said the waiter, I have this awful skin infection on my thumb and the doctor advised me to keep it somewhere moist and warm all the time. At this the customer blew his stack and replied; why don't you stick it up your a#se then!? Where do you think I keep it in the kitchen, responded the waiter?:D :D

canberra
5th Aug 2002, 19:01
i know this is off message but i saw the bit about canadians/english. i was told that apart from the natives there are two types of canadian; french canadians and english canadians. in fact as far as im aware the french canadians call all other canadians regardless of ancestry english. but i must say i enjoyed my tour at goose bay!