PDA

View Full Version : SQ Pilot fails CASA Alcohol Test prior to flight

ozziekiwi
16th Sep 2018, 20:16
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/107123051/singapore-airlines-cancels-wellington-flight

Interesting stuff

Reluctant Bus Driver
16th Sep 2018, 21:21
One wonders what might happen to the poor bastard when he returns to Sing. If spitting on the sidewalk is illegal then showing up drunk to fly a jet is probably punishable by death!

ozziekiwi
16th Sep 2018, 21:48
One wonders what might happen to the poor bastard when he returns to Sing. If spitting on the sidewalk is illegal then showing up drunk to fly a jet is probably punishable by death!

I am sure it will be more than just coffee and biscuits with the boss in his office

ozziekiwi
16th Sep 2018, 23:54
The link below indicates that ALL crew members were tested - maybe they had a tip-off ?????

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-airlines-pilot-failed-alcohol-test-melbourne-flight-10724922

Pearly White
17th Sep 2018, 01:46
That's hardly random!
Aeroflot used to breath-test every crew member on every flight into and out of Cuba. If anyone blew over the whole crew was stood down.

FL11967
17th Sep 2018, 02:35
Was it the Captain or FO?

Yaw String
17th Sep 2018, 13:12
Periodically in Melbourne,first pilot and first flight attendant entering the aircraft,are given swab test for drugs and alcohol.
Result is instantaneous.

Goat Whisperer
18th Sep 2018, 00:32
If you test a crew member and get a positive, surely you should keep testing, who was that crew member likely to be drinking with? His/her mates.

Buzzing
18th Sep 2018, 05:44

Under Singapore's Air Navigation Order, the offence carries a maximum penalty of a fine of up to $100,000 and five years in jail.

Apologies, not allowed to post the link.

Dan Winterland
18th Sep 2018, 07:16
Singapore is a fine country. There's a fine for everything!

Buzzing
18th Sep 2018, 08:30
Singapore is a fine country. There's a fine for everything!

Pretty much spot on ...

unobtanium
18th Sep 2018, 16:22
Under Singapore's Air Navigation Order, the offence carries a maximum penalty of a fine of up to $100,000 and five years in jail.

Apologies, not allowed to post the link.
If I were the pilot, I would be applying for asylum. SIA will crucify him, financially ruin him by reclaiming costs, his career is over and he is looking at jail time....

kiwi grey
18th Sep 2018, 18:41
If I were the pilot, I would be applying for asylum
In AUSTRALIA?

They'll ship him off to Nauru or Manus.
Better off in a Singapore jail
:(

WingNut60
18th Sep 2018, 19:09
Are we not getting a bit mixed up here?

Yes, his job is gone.
But we don't know his nationality, just presuming that he's Singaporean.
I thought that they still had some expat captains.
The news article doesn't even say that he was the captain.
They mention pilot but in a newspaper that could mean anything.

But the law that he has broken is Australian law, is it not?
That will be the first hurdle that he will need to overcome.

Airbanda
18th Sep 2018, 20:27
Are we not getting a bit mixed up here?
thought that they still had some expat captains.

Flew SQ from Manchester to Houston last year with Captain who looked and sounded like a Brit.

golfyankeesierra
18th Sep 2018, 22:47
who looked and sounded like a Brit.
this is begging for a Monty Python sketch, "the wings are not on fire!" (can't link it)

terminus mos
19th Sep 2018, 01:03
That is a hilarious sketch, should be in all CRM courses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_shsRfXqk

parabellum
19th Sep 2018, 01:03
Under Singapore's Air Navigation Order, the offence carries a maximum penalty of a fine of up to $100,000 and five years in jail

Probably not a lot different to the UK and many other countries?

Anilv
19th Sep 2018, 01:21
Singapore Airlines is the master of public relations.

My guess is that this pilot will be politely told to leave and the story will die a natural death. The more punitive action SQ takes the longer it will be drawn out and in these types of cases its in the interest of both parties to kill the story ASAP. Do you honestly think that SQ is any different from other airlines and that all its staff are pure as the driven snow? I personally know of one pilot who left SQ and joined another airline where it was soon discovered he had a problem with drink. I'm sure there are more.

Anilv

gulliBell
19th Sep 2018, 01:25
That is a hilarious sketch, should be in all CRM courses

I had surgery last Saturday and I laughed so much at that MP sketch my wound split open :eek:

AerocatS2A
19th Sep 2018, 03:56
The link below indicates that ALL crew members were tested - maybe they had a tip-off ?????

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-airlines-pilot-failed-alcohol-test-melbourne-flight-10724922

It would be more indicative of a tip off if they only tested the one. When I've been tested it's been along with everyone else within cooee with an ASIC.

hitchens97
20th Sep 2018, 15:11
As a flight crew member, I assume it's a fireable offense to know of a drunk crew member and not report it?

fdr
26th Sep 2018, 11:27
The answer is usually "C" if the test is multi choice.

Knowing someone is under the weather, and being also aware of the law, it would be an interesting case to test out, but it would be common law not aviation law, unless the argument can be made that not terminating a flight with a known unfit crew member is a reckless act.

evansb
26th Sep 2018, 11:47
"Fire-able Offense"? Do you mean termination from position? Each country and airline probably have their own legislation regarding "failure to report". This is why we have barristers/lawyers and trade unions.

Icarus2001
26th Sep 2018, 12:54
This is why we have barristers/lawyers and trade unions.

Have you spent much time in Singapore?